If there is a complication during your pregnancy, if you have certain chronic conditions and are pregnant, or if you become sick during your pregnancy, you will want to turn to a maternal-fetal medicine (MFM) specialist.
These physicians have advanced knowledge and training in complications during pregnancy, including medical, surgical, obstetrical, fetal and genetic. The added training helps both mother and baby experience the best outcomes possible.
USF Health’s Maternal-Fetal Medicine experts provide state-of-the-art management of high-risk pregnancies. This comprehensive and advanced care includes access to board-certified physician specialists and experienced, compassionate high-risk obstetrics nurses and medical assistants who provide specialized care for mothers whose pregnancies are complicated by illness or fetal abnormality.
We also offer complete care for diabetes, hypertension (high-blood pressure), and many other conditions that can complicate pregnancy, if left unmanaged.
As part of an academic medical center, we collaborate with specialists across USF Health, including geneticists, pediatricians, and patient educators and counselors, giving you access to the most advanced care available in the region.
The USF Health MFM team can offer you and your baby highly specialized care, services, diagnostic tools, and treatments that are unique to this region and the nation including:
Common Conditions & Treatments
Unique to our team are several other highly specialized services and experts, including:
• The Fetal Care Center of Tampa Bay, which offers a full-range of experts, including MFM specialists, neonatologists, pediatric surgeons, pediatric radiologists, pediatric cardiologists, pediatric neurologists, geneticists, and many other health care specialists – all highly skilled and caring professionals who will care for you and your baby. (this will link to FCC page)
• Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome Care – This rare but critical condition requires fetoscopic surgery. USF Health’s own Dr. Anthony Odibo is one of very few surgeons in the southeastern United States who provides this life-saving surgical laser treatment for TTTS.
• USF-MFM features maternity services at the Women’s Center at Tampa General Hospital, and babies born there have access to Level III neonatal care through the Jennifer Leigh Muma Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, the highest level of infant care available.
• Pregnancy Loss Prevention Center – Some women face recurring pregnancy loss and USF Health is on the forefront for determining the causes for pregnancy loss and helping those women have successful pregnancies. Dr. Charles Lockwood and Dr. Stephanie Romero are leading that effort through internationally renowned and award-winning research delving into the factors that lead to pregnancy loss and premature birth– including genetic causes.
• Genetic Counseling -- Our genetic counselor specializes in providing information and support to women and couples.
• USF Health Cardio-Obstetrics Clinic - In close collaboration with USF Health’s Ob/Gyn Maternal-Fetal Medicine experts, we have established a unique, shared Cardio-obstetrics Clinic. Together, our experts provide cardiovascular care for women with pre-existing heart disease or acquired heart disease during pregnancy.