Admissions for Transfer Students
A person may seek a transfer to the Morsani College of Medicine from a United States or Canadian medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee for Medical Education (LCME).
A person may be admitted to the Morsani College of Medicine as a transfer student within the context of the following guidelines:
- A vacancy in the Morsani College of Medicine exists for the admission of a person as a transfer student.
- Must be between Year 2 and Year 3 and have passed the USMLE Step 1 Exam. (Year 3 begins in early May for USF Health MCOM.)
- An applicant must wish to transfer due to some unusual circumstances or hardship.
- Previous professional or graduate education is judged adequate in quantity, quality, and time frame to have been competitive for admission as a first-year student at this college and to permit entry into the curriculum at a level beyond the first year.
- An applicant who is, for any reason, on probation or not in good academic standing at the school from which transfer is sought will not be accepted for transfer to our college.
- Applicants currently pursuing graduate-level work toward a Ph.D. degree or other professional degrees are required to complete all degree requirements prior to application for admission to the Morsani College of Medicine for study toward the M.D. degree.
Initial consideration of an applicant as a transfer student will be undertaken only when the applicant furnishes the following information upon request:
- A signed narrative written by the applicant expressing the circumstances that prompted the request to transfer.
- A letter of recommendation from the dean of the professional or graduate school in which the applicant either was enrolled or is presently enrolled. This letter must also state that the applicant is free of behavioral, attitudinal, or emotional problems.
- Official transcripts of all post-high school academic coursework.
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) official scores and a properly executed information form furnished by the Morsani College of Medicine Office of Admissions.
- Must be a United States citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and a resident of the state of Florida unless there are other mitigating circumstances.
- An applicant judged to be qualified on the basis of the furnished information may be extended an interview. Applications for admission with advanced standing will not be processed unless a vacancy exists in the respective class for which the application is made.
To submit a transfer request, please e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 813-974-2266.