Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology
Jerome Breslin, Ph.D.
Associate Chair of Education & Faculty Development, College of Medicine Molecular Pharmacology & Physiology
Professor, Medical Engineering, College of Engineering
12901 Bruce B Downs Blvd MDC8
Tampa FL 33612
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone:(813) 974-7631
- PhD, Pharmacology & Physiology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2002
- MS, Biology, Seton Hall Universtiy, 1998
- BA, Biological Sciences, Rutgers University, 1993
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Cardiovascular Sciences
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- My research program explores the cellular and molecular mechanisms by which the microcirculation and lymphatic vessels control tissue and organ homeostasis. We are currently funded by the NIH to study three specific topics: 1) How endothelial-protective bioactive lipids such as sphingosine-1-phosphate protect the microcirculation and reduce leukocyte rolling/adhesion/infiltration caused by hemorrhagic shock or traumatic injury; 2) Mechanisms of sigma receptor-mediated arterial vasodilation and variations in the human population; and 3) the impact of metabolic syndrome on the complex relationship between lymphatic vessels and adipose tissue. We use a variety of approaches using cell culture, animal models, and human organ/tissue models. Trainees in my laboratory get to work with top experts in our field and are provided ample opportunities for presentations and networking to ensure future success in a career in academia, industry, or government.
- Member (Shock Society, 2020 - Present)
- Member (American Heart Association, 2007 - Present)
- Member (American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2005 - Present)
- Member (American Society for Cell Biology, 2003 - Present)
- Member (American Physiological Society, 2001 - Present)
- President (The Microcirculatory Society, 2000 - Present)
- Nepali PR, Burboa PC, Lillo MA, Mujica PE, Iwahashi T, Zhang J, Durán RG, Boric M, Golenhofen N, Kim DD, Alves NG, Thomas AP, Breslin JW, Sánchez FA, Durán WN. Endothelial mechanisms for inactivation of inflammation-induced hyperpermeability. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology. , 2023.
- Breslin JW. Lymphatic Clearance and Pump Function. Cold Spring Harbor perspectives in medicine. 13(2) , 2023.
- Jo M, Trujillo AN, Shibahara N, Breslin JW. Impact of Goreisan components on rat mesenteric collecting lymphatic vessel pumping. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). : e12788, 2022.
- Lampejo AO, Jo M, Murfee WL, Breslin JW. The Microvascular-Lymphatic Interface and Tissue Homeostasis: Critical Questions That Challenge Current Understanding. Journal of vascular research. 59(6) : 327-342, 2022.
- Motawe ZY Abdelmaboud SS Breslin J. Involvement of Sigma Receptor-1 in Lymphatic Endothelial Barrier Integrity and Bioenergetic Regulation Lymphatic Research and Biology. 19(3) : 231-239, 2021.
- Yang X Zheng E Ma Y Chatterjee V Villalba N Breslin JW Liu R Wu MH Yuan S. DHHC21 deficiency attenuates renal dysfunction during septic injury Scientific Reports. 11(1) : 11146, 2021.
- Motawe ZY, Abdelmaboud SS, Cuevas J, Breslin JW. PRE-084 as a tool to uncover potential therapeutic applications for selective sigma-1 receptor activation. The international journal of biochemistry & cell biology. 126: 105803, 2020.
- Murfee WL, Breslin JW. Linking lymphatic function to disease. The Journal of physiology. , 2020.
- Motawe ZY, Farsaei F, Abdelmaboud SS, Cuevas J, Breslin JW. Sigma-1 receptor activation-induced glycolytic ATP production and endothelial barrier enhancement. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). : e12620, 2020.
- Hooper JS, Stanford KR, Alencar PA, Alves NG, Breslin JW, Dean JB, Morris KF, Taylor-Clark TE. Nociceptive pulmonary-cardiac reflexes are altered in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. The Journal of physiology. 597(13) : 3255-3279, 2019.
- Jo M, Trujillo AN, Yang Y, Breslin JW. Evidence of functional ryanodine receptors in rat mesenteric collecting lymphatic vessels. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology. 317(3) : H561-H574, 2019.
- Alves NG, Trujillo AN, Breslin JW, Yuan SY. Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Reduces Hemorrhagic Shock and Resuscitation-Induced Microvascular Leakage by Protecting Endothelial Mitochondrial Integrity. Shock (Augusta, Ga.). 52(4) : 423-433, 2019.
- Alves NG, Yuan SY, Breslin JW. Sphingosine-1-phosphate protects against brain microvascular endothelial junctional protein disorganization and barrier dysfunction caused by alcohol. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). 26(1) : e12506, 2019.
- Breslin JW, Yang Y, Scallan JP, Sweat RS, Adderley SP, Murfee WL. Lymphatic Vessel Network Structure and Physiology. Comprehensive Physiology. 9(1) : 207-299, 2018.
- Doggett TM, Tur JJ, Alves NG, Yuan SY, Tipparaju SM, Breslin JW. Assessment of Cardiovascular Function and Microvascular Permeability in a Conscious Rat Model of Alcohol Intoxication Combined with Hemorrhagic Shock and Resuscitation. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 1717: 61-81, 2018.
- Alves NG, Motawe ZY, Yuan SY, Breslin JW. Endothelial Protrusions in Junctional Integrity and Barrier Function. Current topics in membranes. 82: 93-140, 2018.
- Trujillo AN, Katnik C, Cuevas J, Cha BJ, Taylor-Clark TE, Breslin JW. Modulation of mesenteric collecting lymphatic contractions by σ1-receptor activation and nitric oxide production. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology. 313(4) : H839-H853, 2017.
- Doggett TM, Alves NG, Yuan SY, Breslin JW. Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Treatment Can Ameliorate Microvascular Leakage Caused by Combined Alcohol Intoxication and Hemorrhagic Shock. Scientific reports. 7(1) : 4078, 2017.
- Motherwell JM, Azimi MS, Spicer K, Alves NG, Hodges NA, Breslin JW, Katakam PVG, Murfee WL. Evaluation of Arteriolar Smooth Muscle Cell Function in an Ex Vivo Microvascular Network Model. Scientific reports. 7(1) : 2195, 2017.
- Breslin JW. Cellular cross talk, inflammatory signals, and enhanced microvascular permeability. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). 24(3) , 2017.
- Sloas DC, Stewart SA, Sweat RS, Doggett TM, Alves NG, Breslin JW, Gaver DP, Murfee WL. Estimation of the Pressure Drop Required for Lymph Flow through Initial Lymphatic Networks. Lymphatic research and biology. 14(2) : 62-9, 2016.
- Zhang XE, Adderley SP, Breslin JW. Activation of RhoA, but Not Rac1, Mediates Early Stages of S1P-Induced Endothelial Barrier Enhancement. PloS one. 11(5) : e0155490, 2016.
- Breslin JW, Daines DA, Doggett TM, Kurtz KH, Souza-Smith FM, Zhang XE, Wu MH, Yuan SY. Rnd3 as a Novel Target to Ameliorate Microvascular Leakage. Journal of the American Heart Association. 5(4) : e003336, 2016.
- Hooper JS, Hadley S, Morris KF, Breslin JW, Dean JB, & Taylor-Clark TE. Characterization of cardiovascular reflexes evoked by airway stimulation with allylisothiocyanate, capsaicin and ATP in Sprague Dawley rats. Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md.: 1985). : jap.00944.2015, 2015.
- Adderley SP., Lawrence C., Madonia E., Olubadewo JO., & Breslin JW. Histamine activates p38 MAP kinase and alters local lamellipodia dynamics, reducing endothelial barrier integrity and eliciting central movement of actin fibers. American Journal of Physiology. Cell Physiology. 309: C51-C59, 2015.
- Souza-Smith FM, Kerut EK, Breslin JW, & Molina PE. Mechanisms of Acute Alcohol Intoxication-Induced Modulation of Cyclic Mobilization of [Ca²⁺] in Rat Mesenteric Lymphatic Vessels. Lymphatic Research and Biology. 13(2) : 93-9, 2015.
- Trujillo A & Breslin JW. Lymphaticosclerosis: a new way of thinking about lymphatic vessel obstruction. The British Journal of Dermatology. 172(5) : 1184-5, 2015.
- Adderley SP., Zhang XE., & Breslin JW. Involvement of the H1 histamine receptor, p38 MAP kinase, MLCK, and Rho/ROCK in histamine-indcued endothelial barrier dysfunction. Microcirculation. 22(4) : 237-248, 2015.
- Breslin JW., Zhang XE., Worthylake RA., & Souza-Smith FM. Involvement of local lamellipodia in endothelial barrier function. PLOS One. 10: e0117970, 2015.
- Breslin JW. Mechanical forces and lymphatic transport. Microvascular Research. 96: 46-54, 2014.
- Kurtz KH, Moor AN, Souza-Smith FM, Breslin JW. Involvement of H1 and H2 receptors and soluble guanylate cyclase in histamine-induced relaxation of rat mesenteric collecting lymphatics. Microcirculation. 21(7) : 593-605, 2014.
- Doggett TM & Breslin JW. Acute alcohol intoxication-induced microvascular leakage. Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research. 38(9) : 2414-26, 2014.
- Kurtz KH, Souza-Smith FM, Moor AN, & Breslin JW. Rho kinase enhances contractions of rat mesenteric collecting lymphatics. PloS One. 9(4) : e94082, 2014.
- Souza-Smith FM, Molina PE, & Breslin JW. Reduced RhoA Activity Mediates Acute Alcohol Intoxication-Induced Inhibition of Lymphatic Myogenic Constriction Despite Increased Cytosolic [Ca(2+) ]. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). 20(5) : 377-84, 2013.
- Breslin JW. ROCK and cAMP promote lymphatic endothelial cell barrier integrity and modulate histamine and thrombin-induced barrier dysfunction. Lymphatic Research and Biology. 9(1) : 3-11, 2011.
- Souza-Smith FM, Kurtz KM, & Breslin JW. Measurement of cytosolic Ca2+ in isolated contractile lymphatics. Journal of Visualized Experiments: JoVE. (58) , 2011.
- Doggett TM & Breslin JW. Study of the actin cytoskeleton in live endothelial cells expressing GFP-actin. Journal of Visualized Experiments: JoVE. (57) , 2011.
- Souza-Smith FM, Kurtz KM, Molina PE, Breslin JW. Adaptation of mesenteric collecting lymphatic pump function following acute alcohol intoxication. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). 17(7) : 514-24, 2010.
- Durán WN, Breslin JW, & Sánchez FA. The NO cascade, eNOS location, and microvascular permeability. Cardiovascular Research. 87(2) : 254-61, 2010.
- Breslin JW & Kurtz KM. Lymphatic endothelial cells adapt their barrier function in response to changes in shear stress. Lymphatic Research and Biology. 7(4) : 229-37, 2009.
- Honorable Mention - USF Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award (USF - 2021)
- Fellow (American Physiological Society Cardiovascular Section - 2015)
- Travel Award for Outstanding Young Investigators (The Microcirculatory Society, Inc. - 2012)