Joshua Scallan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, College of Medicine Molecular Pharmacology & Physiology
12901 Bruce B Downs Blvd, MDC8
Tampa FL 33612
Academic Phone:(813) 974-2770
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Genetics & Tumor Cell Biology, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 2011
- PHD, Physiology, University of Missouri, 2010
- BS, Biology, Centenary College of Louisiana, 2005
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- My laboratory performs research in the area of lymphatic vascular biology to gain insight into how loss of lymphatic vessel function leads to disease. Specifically, we use a unique combination of genetic and physiologic approaches to quantify lymphatic vascular permeability, which allows us to assess fluid and solute transport across the lymphatic vessel wall. Diseases associated with leaky lymphatic vessels include obesity, type 2 diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, lymphedema, and infection. Our research is multidisciplinary as we routinely collaborate with investigators from physiology, immunology, and developmental biology areas. Some current areas of interest are:
- 1)The physical pathways and molecular regulators that restrict solute and fluid loss across the lymphatic vessel wall, preventing edema.
- 2)The role of lymphatic vascular permeability in immune cell trafficking to the lymph node.
- Yang Y Cha B Motawe ZY Srinivasan RS Scallan JP. VE-Cadherin Is Required for Lymphatic Valve Formation and Maintenance. Cell Reports. 28(9) : 2397-2412.e4, 2019.
- Zawieja SD Castorena-Gonzalez JA Scallan JP Davis MJ. Differences in L-type Ca2+ channel activity partially underlie the regional dichotomy in pumping behavior by murine peripheral and visceral lymphatic vessels. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 314(5) : H991-H1010, 2018.
- Castorena-Gonzalez JA Scallan JP Davis MJ. Methods for Assessing the Contractile Function of Mouse Lymphatic Vessels Ex Vivo. Methods Mol Biol. 1846: 229-248, 2018.
- Breslin JW Yang Y Scallan JP Sweat RS Adderley SP Murfee WL. Lymphatic Vessel Network Structure and Physiology. Compr Physiol. 9(1) : 207-299, 2018.
- Randolph GJ Ivanov S Zinselmeyer BH Scallan JP. The Lymphatic System: Integral Roles in Immunity. Ann Rev Immunol. 35: 31-52, 2017.
- Scallan JP, Zawieja SD, Castorena-Gonzalez JA, Davis MJ. Lymphatic pumping: Mechanics, mechanisms and malfunction. The Journal of Physiology. , 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27219461
- Ivanov S, Scallan JP, Kim KW, Werth K, Johnson MW, Saunders BT, Wang PL, Kuan EL, Straub AC, Ouhachi M, Weinstein EG, Williams JW, Briseño C, Colonna M, Isakson BE, Gautier EL, Förster R, Davis MJ, Zinselmeyer BH, Randolph GJ. CCR7 and IRF4-dependent dendritic cells regulate lymphatic collecting vessel permeability. The Journal of clinical investigation. 126(4) : 1581-91, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26999610
- Sabine A, Bovay E, Demir CS, Kimura W, Jaquet M, Agalarov Y, Zangger N, Scallan JP, Graber W, Gulpinar E, Kwak BR, Mäkinen T, Martinez-Corral I, Ortega S, Delorenzi M, Kiefer F, Davis MJ, Djonov V, Miura N, Petrova TV. FOXC2 and fluid shear stress stabilize postnatal lymphatic vasculature. J Clin Invest. 125(10) : 3861-77, 2015.
- Scallan JP, Hill MA, Davis MJ. Lymphatic vascular integrity is disrupted in type 2 diabetes due to impaired nitric oxide signalling. Cardiovasc Res. 1(107) : 89-97, 2015.
- Scallan JP, Davis MJ. Itching for answers: how histamine relaxes lymphatic vessels. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). 21(7) : 575-7, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25123019
- Scallan JP, Davis MJ. Genetic removal of basal nitric oxide enhances contractile activity in isolated murine collecting lymphatic vessels. J Physiol. 591(8) : 2139-56, 2013.
- Yang Y, García-Verdugo JM, Soriano-Navarro M, Srinivasan RS, Scallan JP, Singh MK, Epstein JA, Oliver G. Lymphatic endothelial progenitors bud from the cardinal vein and intersomitic vessels in mammalian embryos. Blood. 120(11) : 2340-8, 2012.
- Scallan JP Huxley VH. The lymphatic vasculature as a participant in microvascular exchange. Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine.. 1: 287-96, 2011.
- Huxley VH and Scallan JP. Lymphatic Fluid: Exchange mechanisms and regulation. J Physiol. 589: 2935-2943, 2011.
- Scallan JP Huxley VH. In vivo determination of collecting lymphatic vessel permeability to albumin: a role for lymphatics in exchange. J Physiol. 588(1) : 243-54, 2010.
- Postdoctoral Fellow (Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri 2011 - 2015)
- Research Assistant Professor (Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri 2015 - 2015)
- Postdoctoral Fellow (Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 2010 - 2011)
- Lymphatic Research Recognition Award (The Microcirculatory Society - 2019)