Research, Innovation & Scholarly Endeavors (RISE)
RGHS Student Application Process
RGHS membership is open to MSIV (Senior) students at Morsani College of Medicine (MCOM) who have demonstrated excellence in scholarly endeavors. Potential applicants must be in good academic and professional standing reflecting the highest ideals of the profession of medicine.
Students who fulfill the application criteria are encouraged to self-nominate by completing an online application, providing a CV, a personal statement and one letter of support. Membership is competitive with anticipated maximum inductees no greater than 20% of a given graduating class.
Criteria that determines if the student can apply for consideration of induction.
Scholarly projects are encouraged in all fields, including but not limited to biomedical research, innovation, education, the arts, creative endeavors and service-oriented projects. Projects should contribute towards improving medical attitudes, health outcomes and the advancement of medicine.
Qualifying scholarship must include achievements in both of the following categories to be considered:
Category A - Minimum one (1) item
- Two (2) Peer-Reviewed Published Articles or
- Innovation Patent, Copyright or
Grant for Scholarly Work/Service Endeavor
- Articles do not need to be PubMed Indexed but should be Peer-Reviewed
- Does not need to be first author
- Abstracts published in supplemental journals do not qualify
- Book Chapters do not count in this category
- Basic Science focused research manuscripts submitted for publication may be considered in place of published peer-reviewed Article(s)
Category B - Minimum two (2) items which may be from the same option
- Two (2) 1st author abstract presented as Oral or Poster presentation(s) at a National or International Meeting (Local presentations do not qualify i.e. USF Research Day, Moffitt Symposium)
- Book Chapter(s)
- Development of Service Initiative or Educational Module* that has led to a scholarly product
- Peer-Reviewed Published Article(s) – This must be a
separate publication from the Category A selection. Abstracts published in
supplemental journals do not qualify. This option can ONLY be selected if you have no other items from this category.
- Product can be a poster, oral presentation or paper (a MedEdPORTAL* publication is acceptable)
ApplicationStudents who fulfill the Application Criteria are encouraged to self-nominate by completing an online application, providing a Personal Statement, current CV, and one (1) letter of support.
One (1) Letter of Support is submitted via a separate link provided to the individual letter writer. The letter MUST be from a mentor involved with the qualifying scholarly endeavor(s) and should clarify the students' role regarding the scholarly work.
Student applications are reviewed by a Selection Committee consisting of invited faculty, alumni, RGHS members, and RISE leadership.
Criteria of the Scholarly Work
- Approximately 80% of the qualifying scholarly work(s), including the data-gathering portion, must be performed while the student is enrolled at MCOM.
- Scholarly work performed while a student is on an approved leave of absence for the purpose of performing this work is eligible.
- Scholarly projects done during the pursuit of a concurrent degree may be considered.
Student CandidatesCall for nominees in June
Deadline for receipt of supporting documents in JULY
Deadline for Faculty Support Letters in JULY
Decision for induction into RGHS in AUGUST
Induction ceremony and celebratory event held during senior year
Benefits of Membership
- Recognition by fellow scholars
- Opportunity to be considered for additional awards
- Leadership opportunities at MCOM
- Networking beyond medical school