In addition to the coursework required for all students in the PhD Program in Integrated Biomedical Sciences, students will take courses in their chosen concentration.
- GMS 6410 Cardiovascular Regulation
- GMS 6440 Basic Medical Physiology
- GMS 6505 Basic Medical Pharmacology
Sample of Electives
- BCH 6746 Structural Biology
- GMS 6501 Membrane Physiology
- GMS 6513 Principle of Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- GMS 7930 Advanced Pharmacology & Physiology
Faculty & Research
Current research interests include:
- Determinants of cardiac excitability and arrhythmias
- Microcirculation, lymphatic biology, cell and matrix molecular biology
- Role of microRNA in infantile hemangioma
- Function and plasticity of distributed, brainstem neural networks
involved in cardiorespiratory control
Learn more about our faculty and their research interests here.
Affiliated Institutes & Facilities
Several USF faculty members participated in the USF Health Heart Institute's first ever scientific conference.
Jerome Breslin, PhD, professor in the USF Health Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology, directs the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships program sponsored by the American Heart Association.
- 2018 – Zeinab Motawe used the Student Travel Award to attend the Experimental Biology Meeting; she presented a poster entitled "Endothelial nitric oxide production and barrier protection by the sigma receptor agonist afobazole."
- 2018 – Natascha G. Alves received an AMSGS Travel Award and attended the Experimental Biology Meeting in San Diego to present about the protective effects of the bioactive sphingolipid S1P on endothelial barrier function following hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation.
- 2016 – Natascha G. Alves was awarded the Zweifach Student Travel Award from the Microcirculatory Society.
- Mong E, Akat K, Canfield J, Lockhart J, VanWye J, Matar A, Tsibris J, Wu J, Tuschl T, Totary-Jain H. Modulation of LIN28B/Let-7 Signaling by Propranolol Contributes to Infantile Hemangioma Involution. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2018;38:1321-1332, originally published May 3, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.118.310908
- Meegan JE, Yang X, Coleman DC, Jannaway M, Yuan SY. Neutrophil‐mediated vascular barrier injury: Role of neutrophil extracellular traps. Microcirculation. 2017; 24:e12352. https://doi.org/10.1111/micc.12352
- Bassil G, Zarzoso M, Noujaim SF. Allometric scaling of electrical excitation and propagation in the mammalian heart. Journal of theoretical biology. 419: 238-242, 2017. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27686596
- Motherwell JM, Azimi MS, Spicer K, Alves NG, Hodges NA, Breslin JW, Katakam PVG, Murfee WL. Evaluation of Arteriolar Smooth Muscle Cell Function in an Ex Vivo Microvascular Network Model. Scientific reports. 7(1): 2195, 2017. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28526859
For information about the PhD Program in Integrated Biomedical Sciences, contact 813-974-2836 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, students do not apply directly to a concentration. Interested students should submit an application for the PhD in Medical Sciences. Concentrations are typically selected during the first year of study.