Molecular Pharmacology & Physiology
In addition to the coursework required for all students in the PhD Program in Integrated Biomedical Sciences, students will take courses in their chosen concentration.
- GMS 6440 Basic Medical Physiology
- GMS 6505 Basic Medical Pharmacology
Sample of Electives
- GMS 6707 Neuroscience
- GMS 7930 Advanced Neuroscience
- GMS 6433 Membrane Physiology
- GMS 6404 Systems Neurophysiology
Faculty & Research
Current research interests include:
- Renal Pathophysiology and Hypertension
- Microcirculation, Lymphatic Biology, Cell and Matrix Molecular Biology
- Hyperbaric Neurophysiology
- Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of CNS Oxygen Toxicity
Plasticity with neurodegenerative disease and after brain injury
Learn more about our faculty and their research here.
Affiliated Institutes & Facilities
Fifth year PhD student, Jay Lockhart was selected to give an oral presentation at USF Health Research Day.
- Lockhart J Canfield J Mong EF VanWye J Totary-Jain. Nucleotide Modification Alters MicroRNA-Dependent Silencing of MicroRNA Switches Mol Ther Nucleic Acids. 12(7) : 339-350, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omtn.2018.12.007
- Canfield J Arlier S Mong EF Lockhart J VanWye J Guzelogu-Kayisli O Schatz F Magness RR Lockwood CJ Tsibris JCM Kayisli USF Totary-Jain H. Decreased LIN28B in preeclampsia impairs human trophoblast differentiation and migration FASEB J., 2018. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.201801163R
of LIN28B/Let-7 Signaling by Propranolol Contributes to Infantile
Francess Mong, Kemal Marc Akat, John Canfield, John Lockhart, Jeffrey
VanWye, Andrew Matar, John C.M. Tsibris, June K. Wu, Thomas Tuschl, Hana
Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2018;38:1321-1332 Originally published May 3, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.118.310908
- Glucose dilates renal afferent arterioles via glucose transporter-1 Jie Zhang, Shan Jiang, Jin Wei, Kay-Pong Yip, Lei Wang, En Yin Lai, and Ruisheng Liu. 01 JUL 2018. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajprenal.00409.2017
- Wang L, Song J, Buggs J, Wei J, Wang S, Zhang J, Zhang G, Lu Y, Yip KP, Liu R. A new mouse model of hemorrhagic shock-induced acute kidney injury. American journal of physiology. Renal physiology. 312(1) : F134-F142, 2017. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28042109
For information about the PhD Program in Integrated Biomedical Sciences, contact 813-974-2836 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, students do not apply directly to a concentration. Interested students should submit an application for the PhD in Medical Sciences. Concentrations are typically selected during the first year of study.