Allergy, Immunology and Infectious Disease
In addition to the coursework required for all students in the PhD Program in Integrated Biomedical Sciences, students will take courses in their chosen concentration.
- GMS 6103 Foundations in Medical Microbiology and Immunology
6101 Molecular and Cellular Immunology
Sample of Electives
- BCH 6746 Structural Biology
- BCH 6135 Methods in Molecular Medicine
- GMS 6701 Advances in Virology
- GMS 6114 Vaccines and Applied Immunology
- GMS 6110 Microbial Pathogenesis and Host-Parasite Interactions
- GMS 6940 Supervised Teaching
6115 Medical Parasitology and Mycology
Faculty & Research
Current research interests include:
- Immune Regulation
- Viral Infections
- Environmental Pollution and Lung Disease
- Arthritis & Inflammation
- Lyme disease
- Clostridium difficile infections
- Biofilm formation by Bartonella henselae
Learn more about our faculty and their research interests here.
Affiliated Institutes & Facilities
On Friday, March 8, the Department of Molecular Medicine hosted a retreat at the Patel Center for Global Solutions. The event provided faculty, staff, and students the opportunity to listen to scientific talks and explore research posters, as well as network with colleagues.
Click here to view more photos from the retreat.
Watch an interview with USF AIID faculty, Xingmin Sun, as he discusses his research into a possible vaccine for Clostridium difficile.
2019 - Ishani Wickramage was selected to participate in the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Travel Award for Scientists from Low & Low-Middle Income Countries at the American Society for Microbiology Meeting in San Francisco in June.
2019 - Udoka Okaro received the award for Cancer Biology Research at USF Health Research Day.
2019 - Caroline Simmons received the USF Federal Credit Union Infectious Disease Research Award at USF Health Research Day.
- Muthumani K, Marnin L, Kudchodkar SB, Perales-Puchalt A, Choi H, Agarwal S, Scott VL, Reuschel EL, Zaidi FI, Duperret EK, Wise MC, Kraynyak KA, Ugen KE, Sardesai NY, Joseph Kim J, Weiner DB. Novel prostate cancer immunotherapy with a DNA-encoded anti-prostate-specific membrane antigen monoclonal antibody. Cancer immunology, immunotherapy : CII. , 2017. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28819703
- Lockey RF, Teng MN. Human passive cutaneous anaphylaxis in the 21st century: Worth the risk? The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology. , 2017. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28259447
- Okaro, U., A. Addisu, B. Casanas, B. Anderson. 2017. Bartonella species, an emerging cause of blood-culture-negative endocarditis. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 30:709-746.. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.00013-17
- Ouyang Z, Zhou J, Norgard MV. Evidence that BosR (BB0647) Is a Positive Autoregulator in Borrelia burgdorferi. Infection and immunity. 84(9) : 2566-74, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27324485
For information about the PhD Program in Integrated
Biomedical Sciences, contact 813-974-2836 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, students do not apply directly to a concentration. Interested students should submit an application for the PhD in Medical Sciences. Concentrations are typically selected during the first year of study.