David J. Smith, JR., MD
Chair, College of Medicine Plastic Surgery
Professor & Chair, College of Medicine Plastic Surgery
2 Tampa General Circle
Tampa FL 33606
Academic Phone:(813) 974-2413
View My C.V.
- MD, Indiana University, Purdue, 1973
"Dr. Smith restarted the Plastic Surgery Program in 2005. His focus is to improve resident education and quality of care, incorporating simulation as an important adjunct."
- Inflammation and
- Wound Healing
- American Surgical Association (ASA, 1994 - Present)
- American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (ASPRS, 1990 - Present)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS, 1989 - Present)
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons (AAPS, 1989 - Present)
- American College of Surgeons (ACS, 1984 - Present)
- American Burn Association (ABA, 1984 - Present)
- Applebaum MA, Lee TE, Barnes C, Elston JB, Smith DJ. An Interesting Case of a Retrobulbar Cavernous Hemangioma. Eplasty. 16: ic48, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28077986
- Laun J Laun K Muftah M Zimmerman A Elston JB Smith DJ Jr. Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. Eplasty.. 7(16) : ic47, 2016.
- Ching JA, Ching YH, Shivers SC, Karlnoski RA, Payne WG, Smith DJ. An Analysis of Inhalation Injury Diagnostic Methods and Patient Outcomes. Journal of burn care & research : official publication of the American Burn Association. 37(1) : e27-32, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26594867
- Ching JA Smith DJ Jr Payne W Doran C Shah J Chen H. The evaluation of physical exam findings in patients
assessed for suspected burn inhalation inury. J Burn Care Res. 36(1) : 197-202, 2015.
- Prather JL, Tummel EK, Patel AB, Smith DJ, Gould LJ. Prospective Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing the Effects of Noncontact Low-Frequency Ultrasound with Standard Care in Healing Split-Thickness Donor Sites. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 221(2) : 309-18, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25868409
- Ching JA Curtis HL Braue JA Kudchadkar R Mendoza T Messina J Cruse CW Harrington M. The impact of
neoadjuvant hedgehog inhibitor therapy on the surgical treatment of extensive basal cell carcinoma. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 74: 193-97, 2015.
- Smith DJ Jr. Achieving Efficient Wound Closure With Autologous Skin. Today's Wound Clinic.. : 23-24, 2014.
- Ching JA Troy J Kuykendall L Smith D. Estrogen treatment of acetic acid burns to the vagina, cervix, and
perineum: A case report and review of the literature J Burn Care Res. 35(5) : e368-71, 2014.
- Smith DJ Jr. Techniques and Outcomes for Hand Surgery. Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 41(3) : 615-623, 2014.
- Hakky T Suber J Baumgarten A Smith D Carrion R. Management of the Adult Buried Penis. Urol List. 11(1) : 3, 2013.
- Smith DJ Karlnoski RA Patel A Cruse CW Brown KS Robson MC. The Treatment of Partial-Thickness Burns
with a Hydroconductive Wound Dressing: Clinical and Mechanistic Effects. Surgical Science. 4: 268-72, 2013.
- Ching JA Smith DJ Jr Troy J Kuykendall . Estrogen treatment of acetic burns to the vagina, cervix and
perineum: A case report and review of the literature J Burn Care Res.. , 2013.
- Troy J, Karlnoski R, Downes K, Brown KS, Cruse CW, Smith DJ, Payne WG. The Use of EZ Derm® in Partial-Thickness Burns: An Institutional Review of 157 Patients. Eplasty. 13: e14, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23573334
- Patton ML1, Mullins RF, Smith D, Korentager R. An open, prospective, randomized pilot investigation evaluating pain with the use of a soft silicone wound contact layer vs bridal veil and staples on split thickness skin grafts as a primary dressing. J Burn Care Res.. 6(34) : 674-81, 2013.
- Karlnoski R Cruse W Brown KS Sprenker CJ Smith D. USE OF DRAWTEX IN THERMAL INJURIES Wounds.. : 17-18, 2012.
- Hakky TS Suber J Henry G Smith 0 Bradley P Martinez D, Carrion R. Research Article Penile Enhancement
Procedures with Simultaneous Penile Prosthesis Placement . Advances in Urology. 2012: article ID 314612, 2012.
- Prince MD, Suber JS, Aya-Ay ML, Cone JD, Greene JN, Smith DJ, Smith PD. Prosthesis salvage in breast reconstruction patients with periprosthetic infection and exposure. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 129(1) : 42-8, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22186499
- Cone JD, Byrum CS, Payne WG, Smith DJ. A novel adjuvant to the resident selection process: the hartman value profile. Eplasty. 12: e27, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22720114
- Ching JA, Smith DJ. Levamisole-induced necrosis of skin, soft tissue, and bone: case report and review of literature. Journal of Burn Care & Research : Official publication of the American Burn Association. 33(1) : e1-5, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22051802
- Ciesla DJ, Cha JY, Smith JS, Llerena LE, Smith DJ. Implementation of an acute care surgery service at an academic trauma center. American Journal of Surgery. 202(6) : 779-85; discussion 785-6, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22137137
- Cone JD, Harrington MA, Kelley SS, Prince MD, Payne WG, Smith DJ. Drug abuse in plastic surgery patients: optimizing detection and minimizing complications. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 127(1) : 445-55, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20871481
- Saleh Mohamed A, ; Elshahat Ahmed; Emara Maher; Hussein Heba; Gould Lisa; Smith David Jr; Awad
Mostafa A. Objective Tools to Analyze the Lower Lateral Cartilage in Unilateral Cleft Lip Nasal Deformities Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 22(4) : 1435-1439, 2011.
- Chief Executive Officer (Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS), USF 2013 - 2017)
- Richard G. Connar Endowed Chair (Surgery, USF 2009 - 2017)