Jerri Edwards, PhD
Professor, College of Medicine Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences
Professor, Psychiatry & Behavioral Neurosciences
3515 E. Fletcher Ave.
Tampa FL 33613
Academic Phone:(813) 974-6703
View My C.V.
- PhD, Developmental Psychology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2000
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Our research is aimed at improving the effectiveness of cognitive training techniques to compensate for age-related cognitive decline and to prevent dementia such as Alzheimer's disease. Ultimately, our goal is to promote health, well-being, and independence among older adults.
- We seek healthy older adult volunteers to participate in research aimed at prolonging independence and preventing cognitive decline and dementia. Interested individuals should please call us at 813.974.6703 or go to www.pactstudy.org.
- Dr. Edwards is an internationally recognized expert who has studied cognitive interventions for more than 30 years. Dr. Edwards' work has been published in more than 90 peer-reviewed journal articles and featured by media outlets such as PBS, The Today Show, and NBC Nightly News. She enjoys speaking to older adults about how to maintain their brain fitness. Call 813.974-6703 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Edwards J, D, Xu H, Clark D, O Guey L, Ross L, A, & Unverzagt F. Cognitive speed of processing training reduces dementia risk. Alzheimer’s & Dementia: Translational Research & Clinical Interventions. : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trci.2017.09.002, 2017.
- Edwards JD, Lister JJ, Elias MN, Tetlow AM, Sardina AL, Sadeq NA, Brandino AD, Harrison Bush AL. Auditory Processing of Older Adults With Probable Mild Cognitive Impairment. Journal of speech, language, and hearing research : JSLHR. 60(5) : 1427-1435, 2017. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28510618
- Brewster GS, Peterson L, Roker R, Ellis ML, Edwards JD. Depressive Symptoms, Cognition, and Everyday Function Among Community-Residing Older Adults. Journal of aging and health. 29(3) : 367-388, 2017. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26951519
- Edwards J, D, Fausto B, A, Tetlow A, M, Corona R, T, Valdes E, G, . Systematic review and meta-analyses of useful field of view cognitive training Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2017.11.004, 2017.
- Lister JJ, Harrison Bush AL, Andel R, Matthews C, Morgan D, Edwards JD. Cortical auditory evoked responses of older adults with and without probable mild cognitive impairment. Clinical neurophysiology : official journal of the International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiology. 127(2) : 1279-87, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26643153
- Ross LA, Freed SA, Edwards JD, Phillips CB, Ball K. The Impact of Three Cognitive Training Programs on Driving Cessation Across 10 Years: A Randomized Controlled Trial. The Gerontologist. , 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28329859
- Aust F, Edwards JD. Incremental validity of Useful Field of View subtests for the prediction of instrumental activities of daily living. Journal of clinical and experimental neuropsychology. 38(5) : 497-515, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26782018
- Edwards JD, Lister JJ, Lin FR, Andel R, Brown L, Wood JM. Association of Hearing Impairment and Subsequent Driving Mobility in Older Adults. The Gerontologist. , 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26916667
- Alwerdt J, Valdés EG, Chanti-Ketterl M, Small BJ, Edwards JD. The relationship between phytoestrogens and speed of processing. Menopause (New York, N.Y.). 23(8) : 911-8, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27219832
- Ross LA, Edwards JD, O'Connor ML, Ball KK, Wadley VG, Vance DE. The Transfer of Cognitive Speed of Processing Training to Older Adults' Driving Mobility Across 5 Years. The journals of gerontology. Series B, Psychological sciences and social sciences. 71(1) : 87-97, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25878053
- Phillips CB, Edwards JD, Andel R, Kilpatrick M. Daily Physical Activity and Cognitive Function Variability in Older Adults. Journal of aging and physical activity. 24(2) : 256-67, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26371890
- Ventura MI, Edwards JD, Barnes DE. More than just a movement disorder: Why cognitive training is needed in Parkinson disease. Neurology. 85(21) : 1828-9, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26519546
- Chen TY, Edwards JD, Janke MC. The Effects of the A Matter of Balance Program on Falls and Physical Risk of Falls, Tampa, Florida, 2013. Preventing chronic disease. 12: E157, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26402047
- Harrison Bush AL, Lister JJ, Lin FR, Betz J, Edwards JD. Peripheral Hearing and Cognition: Evidence From the Staying Keen in Later Life (SKILL) Study. Ear and hearing. 36(4) : 395-407, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25587666
- Athilingam P, Edwards JD, Valdes EG, Ji M, Guglin M. Computerized auditory cognitive training to improve cognition and functional outcomes in patients with heart failure: Results of a pilot study. Heart & lung : the journal of critical care. 44(2) : 120-8, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25592205
- Fulton S, Lister J, Harrison Bush A, Edwards J, D, & Andel R. Mechanisms of the hearing-cognition relationship. Seminars in Hearing.. 36: 140-149. Invited Review. doi:10.1055/s-0035-1555117., 2015.
- O'Brien JL, Lister JJ, Peronto CL, Edwards JD. Perceptual and cognitive neural correlates of the useful field of view test in older adults. Brain research. 1624: 167-74, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26236026
- Edwards J, D, .Valdés E, V, .Peronto C, L, .Castora-Binkley M, .Alwerdt J, Andel R, & Lister J, J. The efficacy of InSight cognitive training to improve Useful Field of View performance: A brief report. Journals of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences.. 70: 417-422., 2015.
- Castora-Binkley M, .Peronto C, Edwards J, D, & Small B, J, . A longitudinal analysis of the influence of race on cognitive performance. Journals of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences,. 70: 521-518. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbt112., 2015.
- Ellis ML, Edwards JD, Peterson L, Roker R, Athilingam P. Effects of Cognitive Speed of Processing Training Among Older Adults With Heart Failure. Journal of aging and health. 26(4) : 600-615, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24681975
- Sharpe C, Holup AA, Hansen KE, Edwards JD. Does Self-Efficacy Affect Responsiveness to Cognitive Speed of Processing Training? Journal of aging and health. 26(5) : 786-806, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24850365
- Elliott AF, O'Connor ML, Edwards JD. Cognitive speed of processing training in older adults with visual impairments. Ophthalmic & physiological optics : the journal of the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians (Optometrists). 34(5) : 509-18, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25160890
- Valdés EG, Andel R, Sieurin J, Feldman AL, Edwards JD, Långström N, Gatz M, Wirdefeldt K. Occupational complexity and risk of Parkinson's disease. PloS one. 9(9) : e106676, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198429
- Edwards JD, Ruva CL, O'Brien JL, Haley CB, Lister JJ. An examination of mediators of the transfer of cognitive speed of processing training to everyday functional performance. Psychology and aging. 28(2) : 314-21, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23066808
- Hudak EM, Edwards JD, Athilingam P, McEvoy CL. A Comparison of Cognitive and Everyday Functional Performance among Older Adults With and Without Hypertension. Clinical gerontologist. 36(2) : 113-131, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25346567
- O'Connor ML, Edwards JD, Bannon Y. Self-rated driving habits among older adults with clinically-defined mild cognitive impairment, clinically-defined dementia, and normal cognition. Accident; analysis and prevention. 61: 197-202, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23769114
- Edwards JD, Hauser RA, O'Connor ML, Valdés EG, Zesiewicz TA, Uc EY. Randomized trial of cognitive speed of processing training in Parkinson disease. Neurology. 81(15) : 1284-90, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24014503
- O'Brien JL, Edwards JD, Maxfield ND, Peronto CL, Williams VA, Lister JJ. Cognitive training and selective attention in the aging brain: an electrophysiological study. Clinical neurophysiology : official journal of the International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiology. 124(11) : 2198-208, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23770088
- Alwerdt J, Edwards JD, Athilingam P, O'Connor ML, Valdés EG. Longitudinal differences in cognitive functioning among older adults with and without heart failure. Journal of aging and health. 25(8) : 1358-77, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24084526
- Ball K, K Ross L, A, Roth D, L, Edwards J, D. Speed of processing training in the ACTIVE Study: How much is needed and who benefits? Journal of Aging & Health,. 25: 65S-84S. doi:10.1177/0898264312470167., 2013.
- O’Connor M, L, Edwards J, D, Perkins M, .Hudak E, M, & .Valdés E, G. Mediators of the association between driving status and mortality among older adults. Journal of Aging & Health,. 25: 249S-269S. doi:10.1177/0898264313497796., 2013.
- O'Connor ML, Edwards JD, Small BJ, Andel R. Patterns of level and change in self-reported driving behaviors among older adults: who self-regulates? The journals of gerontology. Series B, Psychological sciences and social sciences. 67(4) : 437-46, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22138270
- Ross LA, Dodson JE, Edwards JD, Ackerman ML, Ball K. Self-rated driving and driving safety in older adults. Accident; analysis and prevention. 48: 523-7, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22664719
- Chen TY, Peronto CL, Edwards JD. Cognitive function as a prospective predictor of falls. The journals of gerontology. Series B, Psychological sciences and social sciences. 67(6) : 720-8, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22865822
- Valdes EG, O'Connor ML, Edwards JD. The effects of cognitive speed of processing training among older adults with psychometrically- defined mild cognitive impairment. Current Alzheimer research. 9(9) : 999-1009, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22594383
- Choi M, Mezuk B, Lohman MC, Edwards JD, Rebok GW. Gender and racial disparities in driving cessation among older adults. Journal of aging and health. 24(8) : 1364-79, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22992714
- O'Connor ML, Hudak EM, Edwards JD. Cognitive Speed of Processing Training Can Promote Community Mobility among Older Adults: A Brief Review. Journal of aging research. 2011: 430802, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21748006
- Ball K, Edwards JD, Ross LA, McGwin G. Cognitive training decreases motor vehicle collision involvement of older drivers. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 58(11) : 2107-13, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21054291
- O'Connor ML, Edwards JD, Wadley VG, Crowe M. Changes in mobility among older adults with psychometrically defined mild cognitive impairment. The journals of gerontology. Series B, Psychological sciences and social sciences. 65B(3) : 306-16, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20147739
- Young TL, Granic A, Yu Chen T, Haley CB, Edwards JD. Everyday reasoning abilities in persons with Parkinson's disease. Movement disorders : official journal of the Movement Disorder Society. 25(16) : 2756-61, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20939079
- Edwards J, D, .Bart E, .O’Connor M, & Cissell G, M. Ten years down the road: Predictors of driving cessation. The Gerontologist,. 50: years down the road: Predictors of driving cessation. The Gerontologist, 50: 3, 2010.
- Top 11th NIH-funded investigator in Psychiatry (Blue Ridge Medical Institute - 2021)
- Outstanding Research Achievement (University of South Florida - 2019)
- Top 8th NIH-funded investigator in Psychiatry (Blue Ridge Medical Institute - 2018)
- USF Outstanding Research Achievement Award (University of South Florida - 2010)