Why Skin Patch Testing
Allergy skin patch testing is used to identify the allergens
that trigger a patient's allergic reaction. This process helps identify what you are allergic to, which will help you know what to avoid and when you might need preemptive medicines.
What to Expect
- During this test multiple allergens are applied under a dressing to the patient's skin, including
fragrance, preservatives, metals, rubber, and other chemicals that are commonly
encountered in the environment and within household items and clothing.
- After 48 and 72 hours, the skin is reexamined
for any reaction. If a reaction occurs to the allergen then an allergy is
- After a patient's allergy has been diagnosed, a physician will
recommend a treatment plan to treat and manage the allergy.
Skin Patch Testing FAQs
- This procedure is safe, fast, and accurate.
- The majority of patients experience little to no discomfort.