Faculty & Staff Directory
Velda Gonzalez-Marrero, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar Research, College of Nursing
- PhD, Nursing, University of Kansas, 2015
- MS, Nursing, University of Florida, 1992
- BS, Nursing, University of Puerto Rico, 1984
- Understanding the role of omics (e.g., metagenomics, metabolomics, genomics) in the etiology of cancer-related symptoms.
- Pelvic cancer patients and cancer-related symptoms have narrowed to prostate and rectal cancer patients, and to treatment induced-related fatigue. The biological factors that potentially influence the individual variability in the fatigue experience: (1) dysregulation of the gut-systemic inflammatory-axis induced by cancer or its treatments, (2) identifying novel dysbiosis-related bacteria that are more likely to be involved in the susceptibility to treatment-induced-related adverse effects such as fatigue, and (3) the role of Sestrins family of genes in radiotherapy-related fatigue development and the signaling pathways involved.
- Utilizing the biomarkers of fatigue to predict treatment outcomes of patients undergoing radiation therapy and intervention development.
- Distinguished Instructor Award (University of Puerto Rico School of Nursing - 2015)
- Sousa Award of Excellence (University of Kansas School of Nursing - 2015)
- Ruth O. McKibben Alumni Research Award (University of Kansas SON - 2014)
- Crighton Award (University of Kansas SON - 2014)
- Heart Transplant Coordinator Recognition (Cardiovascular Center of PR - 2004)
- Public Service Award (Cardiovascular Center of Puerto Rico - 2002)
- Outstanding Service Award (United Network for Organ Sharing - 2002)
- Manuel A. Pérez Award (Commonwealth Government of Puerto Rico - 2002)
- Paulina R. Dávila Award, Distinguished Service in Nursing (Nursing Professionals of Puerto Rico - 2001)
- Distinguished Service (Cardiovascular Center of PR - 2001)
- Dedication and Commitment Award (Cardiovascular Center of PR - 2000)
- Biological Research in Nursing (Reviewer, 2017 - Present)
- American Nurses Association (Member, 2017 - Present)
- Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing (Reviewer, 2016 - Present)
- USF Genomics SIG (Member, 2016 - Present)
- CON Oncology Research Faculty SIG (Member, 2015 - Present)
- Journal of Clinical Nursing (Reviewer, 2014 - Present)
- Midwest Nursing Research Society (Member, 2010 - Present)
- Sigma, Theta, Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Member, 1992 - Present)
- College of Nursing Professionals of Puerto Rico (Member, 1984 - Present)
- International Society of Nurses in Genetics (Member, 2013 - 2014)
- Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurse (Member, 2012 - 2013)
- Oncology Nursing Society (Member, 2010 - 2011)
- Association of Clinical Research Professionals (Member, 2008 - 2009)
- Society of Clinical Research Associate (Member, 2007 - 2008)
- Puerto Rico Oncology Nursing Association (Member, 2006 - 2007)
- Gonzalez-Mercado V, J, Saligan L, N, Rodriguez C, S, Ortiz D, Pedro E, & McMillan S, C, Validation of the Spanish version of the Cancer Symptom Scale in Hispanic cancer patients. International Journal of Nursing Practice. : e12700. doi: 10.1111/ijn, 2018.
- Ortiz A, Tirado-Gómez M, Hughes DC, González V, Song J, Mama S, & BasenEngquist K, Relationship between Physical Activity, Disability, and Fitness Profile in Sedentary Latina Breast Cancer Survivors. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. : 1-12. doi: 10.1080/09593985.2018.1424978, 2018.
- Gonzalez V, J, Abbas-Aghababazadeh F, Fridley B, L, Ghansah T, & Saligan L, N, Expression of Sestrin Genes in Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer and Its Association With Fatigue: A Proof-of-Concept Study. Biological Research for Nursing. : 20(2), 218-226. doi: 10.1177/1099800417749319, 2018.
- Gonzalez-Mercado VJ, Pedro E, Tirado M, & Mcmillan R, The Health Related Quality of Life of Puerto Ricans during Cancer Treatments; a Pilot Study. Puerto Rico Health Sciences Journal. : 37(1), 2018.
- Gonzalez-Mercado V, J, Fridley B, L, & Saligan L, N, Sestrin family of genes and their role in cancer-related fatigue. Support Care Cancer. : 26(7), 2071-2074. doi: 10.1007/s00520-018-4139-8, 2018.
- Palacios C, Daniel C, R, Tirado-Gomez M, Gonzalez-Mercado V, Vallejo L, Lozada J, Basen-Engquist K, Dietary Patterns in Puerto Rican and Mexican-American Breast Cancer Survivors: A Pilot Study. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. : 19(2), 341-348. doi: 10.1007/s10903-016-0398-y, 2017.
- Gonzalez V, J, McMillan S, C, Groer M, Imbert S, Pedro E, & Tome J, Symptom Burden: Experiences of Puerto Rican Men With Prostate Cancer Prior to External Beam Radiation Therapy. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. : 21(1), 104-112. doi: 10.1188/17.cjon.104-112, 2017.
- Gonzalez-Mercado V, J, Williams P, D, Williams A, R, Pedro E, & Colon G, The symptom experiences of Puerto Rican children undergoing cancer treatments and alleviation practices as reported by their mothers. International Journal of Nursing Practice. : 23(1). doi: 10.1111/ijn.12500, 2017.
- Gonzalez V, J, Tofthagen C, S, Chen X, Pedro E, & Saligan L, N, Differences in Fatigue Severity in a Sample of Adult Cancer Patients. Journal of Clinical Nursing. : doi: 10.1111/jocn, 2017.
- Gonzalez V, J, Saligan L, N, Fridley B, L, Ortiz-Zuazaga H, & Aaronson L, S, Gene Expression, and Fatigue in Puerto Rican Men during Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer: an Exploratory Study. Puerto Rico Health Sciences Journal. : 36(4), 223-231, 2017.
- Colon-Lopez V, Fernandez-Espada N, Velez C, Gonzalez V, J, Diaz-Toro E, C, Calo W, A, Fernandez M, E, Communication about sex and HPV among Puerto Rican mothers and daughters. Ethnicity & Health. : 22(4), 348-360. doi: 10.1080/13557858.2016.1246938, 2017.
- Gonzalez-Mercado V, J, Saligan L, N, Ji M, Groer M, Pedro E, & McMillan S, Differences in the Severity, Distress, Interference, and Frequency on Cancer-Related Symptoms Between Island Hispanic Puerto Ricans and Mainland Non-Hispanic Whites. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. : doi: 10.1007/s10903-017-0651-z, 2017.
- Lynch Kelly D, Dickinson K, Hsiao C, P, Lukkahatai N, Gonzalez-Marrero V, McCabe M, & Saligan L, N, Biological Basis for the Clustering of Symptoms. Seminars in Oncology Nursing. : 32(4), 351-360. doi: 10.1016/j.soncn.2016.08.002, 2016.
- Tirado-Gómez M, Hughes DC, González-Mercado V, Treviño-Whitaker RA, BasenEngquist K, Physical Activity in Puerto Rican Breast Cancer Survivors. Puerto Rico Health Sciences Journal. : Jun;35(2):62-8.PMID: 27232866, 2016.
- Gonzalez V, Tirado M, Hughes D, & Pedro E, Identification of Supportive Care Needs in a sample of Puerto Rican Cancer Patients with the Supportive Care Needs Survey. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. : 5(9), 33-38. doi: 10.5430/jnep.v5n9p32, 2015.
- Hughes D, Tirado-Gomez M, Vallejo L Gonzalez V, Trevino R, A, Villanueva BasenEngquist K, Comparing Determinants of Physical Activity in Puerto Rican, Mexican American, and non-Hispanic White Breast Cancer Survivors. SpringerPlus. : 4(416). Doi: 10.1186/s40064-015-1190-5, 2015.
- Trevino R, A, Vallejo L, Hughes D, C, Gonzalez V, Tirado-Gomez M, & BasenEngquist K, Mexican-American and Puerto Rican Breast Cancer Survivors' Perspectives on Exercise: Similarities and Differences. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. : doi: 10.1007/s10903-012-9648-9 [doi], 2012.
- Gonzalez V, Optimism Among Cancer Patients: The Oncology Nursing Perspective. Journal of Gynecologic Oncology Nursing. : Winter; 22 (1): 18-39. ISSN: 1536-9935 CINAHL AN011468515, 2012.
- Banchs-Pieretti H, L, Franqui-Rivera H, Segarra-Alonso O, Gonzalez-Mercado V, Altieri-Nieto P, I, Calderon-Rodriguez R, et al, Analysis of Heart Failure Management at the Heart Failure and Transplantation Clinics of the Cardiovascular Center of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. Puerto Rico Health Sciences Journal. : 27(4), 363-367, 2008.
- Banchs H, L, Carro Jimenez E, J, Gonzalez V, Gonzalez Cancel I, F, Quintana C, Calderon R, et al, Basiliximab and Heart Transplantation in Hispanics: the Experience in Puerto Rico. Boletin de la Asociacion Medica de Puerto Rico. : 99(3), 191-196, 2007.
- Banchs H, L, Gonzalez V, Gonzalez Cancel I, Quintana C, Calderon R, & Altieri P, I, Heart transplantation in females: the experience in Puerto Rico. Boletin de la Asociacion Medica de Puerto Rico. : 97(4), 248-256, 2005.
- Gonzalez V, Pregnancy and Heart Transplantations. Impulso. : II, 17-19, 2004.
- González V. Nursing Challenge: Clinical Transplant Coordinators. Impulso. : I, 11-14, 2001.
- González V, Banchs H, & González I. The Success of Heart Transplants in Puerto Rico. Crónicas Universitarias & Pulso. : 5 (3), 3-7 and 13, 15-16, 2001.
- González V, Alternative Educational Strategy Before Surgery for Pediatric Patients Using a Unique Cartoon Character at the Cardiovascular Center of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean Pulso. : 12, 6-7, 2000.
- González V, Follow-up care of the Heart Transplant Patient. Pulso. : 13, 3, 2000.
- Gonzalez V, Development of a Patient Classification System Using Dorothea Orem’s Self-care Theory. Pulso. : III (22), 4-7, 1997.
- Gonzalez V. What is Telemetry Buena Salud. , 1993.
- Fatigue and the Gut Microbiome of Patients Receiving Chemoradiotherapy for Rectal Cancer (Order Total: 177581, 1/1/2017 12:00:00 AM - 12/31/2020 12:00:00 AM)
- Gene Expression and Fatigue in Puerto Rican Men (Order Total: 1000, 1/1/2015 12:00:00 AM - 12/31/2015 12:00:00 AM)
- Gene Expression and Fatigue in Puerto Rican Men (Order Total: 5000, 1/1/2015 12:00:00 AM - 12/31/2015 12:00:00 AM)
- Gene Expression and Fatigue in Puerto Rican Men (Order Total: 1000, 1/1/2014 12:00:00 AM - 12/31/2014 12:00:00 AM)
- Gene Expression and Fatigue in Puerto Rican Men (Order Total: 3000, 1/1/2014 12:00:00 AM - 12/31/2014 12:00:00 AM)