Faculty & Staff Directory
Ponrathi Athilingam, PhD, ACNP, MCH, FAANP, FHFSA
Assistant Professor, College of Medicine Cardiology
Associate Professor, College of Nursing
- PhD, Health Practice Research, University of Rochester, 2008
- MS, Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, University of Rochester, 2004
- MCH, Community Health, Liverpool University, 1988
- BSc, Nursing, All India Institute of Medical Science, 1982
- RN, Nursing, Catherine Booth Hospital, 1972
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Dr. Athilingam is an ANCC certified Acute care NP who works with heart failure patients. Her research is focused on technology-based interventions to improve self-care of patients with heart and thus reduce readmissions. Received funding from National Science Foundation Innovation-Corps award and Florida Hi-tech Corridor and the CS Draper Laboratory award for the development of a mobile app called HeartMapp.
- She has received numerous awards for her nursing practice and research including the "Nurse Investigator of the year 2008 from Heart Failure Society of America. She was named Fellow of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (FAANP) and Fellow of the Heart failure Society of America (FHFSA).
- Dr. Athilingam’s current NIH funded small business grant involves "Examining usability and efficacy of the mobile app "HeartMapp" in improving self-care of patients with heart failure" and to commercialize HeartMapp.
- Fellow FHFSA (Heart Failure Society of America - 2016)
- mHealth Scholar 2015 (National Institute of Health - 2015)
- Fellow FAANP (American Association of Nurse Practitioner - 2012)
- Service for Humanity Leadership Award (Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Inc. - 2010)
- First place Paper Presentation (American Association for Heart Failure Nurses - 2008)
- Nurse Investigator Award (HFSA - 2008)
- Dissertation Award (Sigma Theta Tau International Epsilon xi Chapter - 2008)
- Research Award (Sigma Theta Tau International Epsilon Xi chapter - 2007)
- First place for Doctoral Student Poster (ENRS - 2007)
- Katharine Donohoe Scholarly Practitioner Award (University of Rochester, NY - 2007)
- Outstanding Adult Student Award (Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education, Rochester, NY - 2007)
- Graduate Scholarship (Sigma Theta Tau International Epsilon xi Chapter - 2005)
- Southern Nursing Research Society (Member, 2011 - Present)
- American Association for Heart Failure Nurses (Member, 2008 - Present)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (Member, 2008 - Present)
- Heart Failure Society of America (Member, 2006 - Present)
- American Heart Association (Member, 2005 - Present)
- Eastern Nursing Research Society (Member, 2004 - Present)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Member, 2003 - Present)
- Jenkins B, A, Athilingam P, & Jenkins R, . Symptom Clusters in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Systematic Review. Applied Nursing Research. 45: 23-29, 2019.
- Athilingam P, Jenkins B, & Redding B, A, . Reading Level and Suitability Assessment of Heart Failure Education in a Mobile App “CHF Info App JMIR Aging. 2(1) : e10057, 2018.
- Athilingam P, & Jenkins B, A, . Mobile Phone Apps to Support Heart Failure Self-Care Management: An Integrative Review JMIR Cardio. 2(2) : e10057, 2018.
- Athilingam P, Clochesy J, & Labrador M, A, . Intervention Mapping Approach in the Design of an Interactive Mobile Health Application to Improve Self-care in Heart Failure. Computer Informatics, Nursing. 32(2) : 90-97, 2018.
- Athilingam P, Jenkins B, A, Zumpano H, & Labrador M, A, . Mobile Technology to Improve Heart Failure Outcomes: A Proof of Concept Paper. Applied Nursing research. 39: 26-33., 2018.
- Windmon A, Minakshi M, Chellappan S, Johansson M, Jenkins B, & Athilingam P, . TussisWatch: A Smartphone System to Identify Cough Episodes as early Symptoms of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Congestive Heart Failure. IEEE. Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics,. 1(1) : 11, 2018.
- Fausto B, A, Badana A, N, S, Valdes O, M, Athilingam P, & Edwards J, D, . Examination of heart failure as a predictor of driving cessation. Journal of Transport and Health,. 7: 202-208, 2017.
- Athilingam P, Jenkins B, Johansson M, & Labrador M, A, . A Mobile Health Intervention to Improve Self-Care in Patients with Heart Failure: Pilot Randomized Control Trial. JMIR Cardio. 1(2) : e3, 2017.
- Athilingam P, Osorio R, E, Oliver D, KaplanH, Neachtai T, O, Labrador M, & Rogal P, J, . Embedding Patient Education in Mobile App for Patients with Heart Failure: Theory-based Development and Beta Testing. Computers, Informatics, Nursing,. , 2016.
- Athilingam P, Labrador M, A, Remo E, F, Mack L, San Juan A, B, & Elliott A, F. Features
and Usability Assessment of a Patient-centered Mobile Application (HeartMapp) for Self-management
of Heart Failure Applied Nursing Research. (32) : 156-163, 2016.
- Di Sano M, Perez A, Labrador M, A, Athilingam P, & Giovanetti F. HeartMapp: A
mobile application to improve CHF outcomes and reduce hospital readmission.
Demonstration paper. Wireless Health. 2015: 145-151, 2015.
- Chen, J., Athilingam, P., Saloum, Y., & Brady, P. Enhancing Bowel Preparation for Screening Colonoscopy: An Evidence-based Literature Review The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 10: 519-525, 2015.
- Athilingam, P., Visovsky, C., Elliott, A., & Rogal, P.J. Cognitive Screening in Persons with Chronic Diseases in Primary Care: Challenges and Recommendations For Practice. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementia.. 1: 1-12, 2015.
- Athilingam, P., Edwards, J.D., Valdes, E., Ji, M. & Guglin, M. Computerized Auditory Cognitive Training to Improve Memory, Quality of life and self-care in Persons With
Heart Failure: Report from a Pilot Study. Heart and Lung. 44(2) : 120-128, 2015.
- Ellis, M., Edwards, J.D, Peterson, L., Roker, R., & Athilingam, P. Effects of Cognitive Speed of Processing Training among Older Adults with Heart Failure. Journal of Aging and Health. , 2014.
- Hudak, E., Edwards, J., Athilingam, P., & McEvoy, C. Effects of Hypertension and Antihypertensive
Medications on Cognitive Function and Everyday Cognitive Performance Clinical Gerontologist. 36: 113-131, 2013.
- Athilingam, P., D’Aoust, R.F. Miller, L., & Chen,. Cognitive Profile Varies in Persons with Systolic
and Diastolic Heart Failure. Journal of Congestive Heart failure. 19(1) : 45-50, 2013.
- Athilingam, P., D’Aoust, R.F., Zambroski, C., McMillan, S., & Sahebzamani, F. Predictive Validity and Utility of NYHA and ACC/AHA classification of Physical and Cognitive Functioning in Heart Failure. International Journal of Nursing Science. 3: 22-32, 2013.
- Alwerdt, J., Edwards, J., Athilingam, P., O’ Connor, M., & Valdes, E. Longitudinal Differences in Cognitive functioning among Older Adults with and with out Heart Failure. Journal of Aging and Health. 15: 1284-1290, 2013.
- Athilingam, P., Moynihan, J., Chen, L., D’Aoust, R.F., Groer, M., & Kip, K. Elevated Levels of
Interleukin-6 and C-Reactive Protein Associated with Cognitive Impairment in Heart Failure Journal of Congestive Heart failure. 19(2) : 92-98, 2012.
- Converting Enzyme in Heart Failure. Cognitive Protection by Angio-tensin
Converting Enzyme in Heart Failure. International Journal of Nursing Science. 2(3) : 14-22, 2012.
- Athilingam, P., King, K. B., Burgin, W. S., Ackerman, M., Cushman, L. A., & Chen. L. Montreal
Cognitive Assessment and Mini Mental Status Examination compared as cognitive screening tools in HF. Heart and Lung. 40: 521-529, 2011.
- Athilingam, P. Cognitive dysfunction in heart failure may have different or multiple etiologies: Not
cerebral hypoperfusion alone. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing. 23(2) : 102, 2008.
- Athilingam, P., Chen, L., King, K., & Ackerman, M. Montreal Cognitive Assessment may be an
Appropriate Tool to Assess Cognitive Dysfunction in Heart Failure. Journal of Cradiac Failure. 14(6) : S5-S6, 2008.
- Athilingam, P & King. Heart and brain matter in heart failure: A Literature review. Journal of the New York State Nurses Association,. 38: 13-19, 2008.
- Ackerman, M., Graves, B., Giuliano, K., Athilingam, P., & Yeager, C. Comparison of oxygen
saturation values between two new generation pulse oximeters in patients following cardiac surgery. American Journal of Critical Care. 13(3) : 265-266, 2004.
- Ackerman, M. H., Graves, B. T., Athilingam, P., Yeager, C., & Giuliano, K. A comparison of the
Philips FAST and Masimo Set pulse oximeter following cardiac surgery. Critical Care Medicine. 31(12) : A135, 2003.
- Athilingam, P.R. Selectivity--a new trend within primary health care Nursing Journal of India. 81: 322, 1990.
- HeartMapp: Mobile App for Heart Failure (Order Total: 50000, 3/3/2016 12:00:00 AM - 12/31/2017 12:00:00 AM)
- REU Site Grant (Order Total: 652000, 1/1/2015 12:00:00 AM - 12/29/2019 12:00:00 AM)
- HEARTHMAPP: A CLOSED-LOOP ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT MOBILE APPLICATION FOR HEART FAILURE (Order Total: 74406, 12/1/2018 12:00:00 AM - 8/31/2019 12:00:00 AM)
- HeartMapp: A Closed-Loop Assessment and Treatment (Order Total: 225000, 9/6/2018 12:00:00 AM - 9/1/2019 12:00:00 AM)
- I-CORPS: HEARTMAPP. A MOBILE APP FOR PATIENTS WITH HEART FAILURE. (Order Total: 50000, 3/15/2016 12:00:00 AM - 8/31/2017 12:00:00 AM)
- A Pilot Clinical Trial to test HeartMapp (Order Total: 7500, 5/1/2015 12:00:00 AM - 5/31/2016 12:00:00 AM)
- Development of a Mobile Application for patients (Order Total: 20000, 5/26/2014 12:00:00 AM - 5/29/2015 12:00:00 AM)
- Mobile Phone Application (Heart Mapp) Interventio (Order Total: 20000, 5/21/2014 12:00:00 AM - 5/21/2014 12:00:00 AM)