Innovation and Leadership in Medical Education (ILME) Special Interest Group
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) allows for Special Interest Groups (SIG) within each regional group on educational affairs. The Southern Group on Educational Affairs SGEA) supports SIGs, which are groups that support interest in advancing a specific area within the SGEA where members communicate, collaborate and meet to promote research, and effect or produce solutions within their particular area. SGEA-SIGs are self-perpetuating groups in which the membership is responsible for ensuring the ongoing activities of the group. Any SGEA member can join an SGEA-SIG and can be a member of more than one SIG. SGEA-SIGs elect their own officers. While the majority of members of the SIG must belong to the regional group, the group also may have members from other regional groups of the SGEA. This is the official site of the ILME SIG hosted by USF Health, Morsani College of Medicine, but open to the use of all of it’s members interested in innovation and leadership in medical education from across the country.
The mission of the Innovation and Leadership in Medial Education Special Interest Group (ILME-SIG) is to establish a community for the administrators, researchers and educators involved in or those who are interested in collaborating and supporting the work of leadership and innovative programs on their campuses. This community will address unique academic challenges across medical education and support the implementation of best practices and research within the AAMC. Institutions that already have innovative leadership development programs would benefit from the collaboration with other schools and those who seek to create innovative programs in leadership development would benefit from learning best practices from active programs.
SIG Leadership 2017 - 2018:
The ILME-SIG allow its members to connect nationally through inter-institutional dialogues across list-serves, the AAMC website and at SGEA regional and AAMC national conferences. The ILME-SIG will submit an annual report outlining membership, activities, and future plans.
- To expand the knowledge of its members through discussions, workshops and presentations with experts and those experienced in leadership development initiatives in medical schools and academic medical centers.
- To develop/improve the scholarly activities surrounding leadership and other innovative programs and collaborate in the creation of assessments and best practices.
- To collect and disseminate data on the importance and impact of leadership and other innovative programs upon the competence and effectiveness of students and faculty.
Medical schools and medical academic centers will have fully integrated, longitudinal opportunities for both students and faculty in leadership development.
- Monthly meetings via teleconferencing; face to face meetings at the annual SGEA meeting and the annual AAMC national meeting.
- Invite all SIG participants to actively participate in the annual SGEA meeting, with emphasis on making collaborative presentations pertaining to leadership development.
- To develop resources to be shared with membership and other interest persons or groups, focusing on three specific aspects of leadership training:
- Curriculum resources
- Assessment of leadership competencies/skills
- Development of high quality, online educational modules for dissemination through a variety of means
All conference related to AAMC may be viewed here:
Other conferences will be posted here from time to time, so please check back frequently!
SGEA Innovation and Leadership in Medical Education Names and Affiliations Only (Excel)
Suggested Articles on Leadership Training & Development in Medical Education (Excel)