Laura Swisher, PT, MDIV, PhD, FNAP, FAPTA
Professor, School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences
Assistant Dean of Interprofessional Education, School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences
School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., MDC 77
Academic Phone:(813) 974-9223
View My C.V.
- PHD, Public Administration, Tennessee State University, 1998
- PT, Tennessee State University, 1986
- MDIV, Andover Newton Theological School, 1978
- BA, Religion Studies, Wilson College, 1973
- American Physical Therapy Association (Professional Service, 2003 - Present)
- Edwards I, Jones M, Thacker M, Swisher LL. The moral experience of the patient with chronic pain: Bridging the gap between first and third person ethics. Pain Medicine. , 2014.
- Flom-Meland C, Ingram D, Hosford CC. Badmouthing of Healthcare Professionals Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 27(2) : 23-24, 2013.
- Jones M, van Kessel G, Swisher LL, Beckstead J, Edwards I. Cognitive maps and the structure of observed learning outcome assessment of physiotherapy students’ ethical reasoning knowledge Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education. , 2013.
- Edwards I, van Kessel G, Jones M, Beckstead J, Swisher LL. The development of moral judgment and organization of ethical knowledge in final year physiotherapy students. Phys Ther Rev.. 17(3) : 157-166, 2012.
- Swisher LL, van Kessel G, Jones M, Beckstead J, Edwards I. Evaluating moral reasoning outcomes in physical therapy ethics education: stage, schema, phase, or type? Phys Ther Rev.. 17(3) : 167-175, 2012.
- Greenfield B, Swisher LL. The Role of narratives in Professional Formation for Students. Realizing Exemplary Practice-Based Education. , 2012.
- Edwards I, Delany CM, Townsend AF, Swisher L. Moral agency as enacted Justice: a clinical and ethical decision making framework for responding to health inequities and social injustice. Phys Ther.. , 2011.
- Swisher LL. Moral reasoning among physical therapists: results of the Defining Issues Test Physiotherapy Research International. 15(2) : 69-79, 2011.
- Edwards I, Delany CM, Townsend AF, Swisher L. New perspectives on the theory of justice: implications for physical therapy ethics and clinical practice. Phys Ther.. , 2011.
- Greenfield B, Jensen G. Understanding the lived experiences of patients: the application of a phenomenological approach to ethics. Phys Ther.. , 2010.
- Swisher LL, Hiller P. The revised APTA Code of Ethics for the physical therapist and Standards of Ethical Conduct for the Physical Therapist Assistant: theory, purpose, process and significance. Phys Ther.. 5: 803-824, 2010.
- Swisher LL, Nyland JA, Klossner D, Beckstead J. Ethical issues in Athletic Training: A descriptive foundational study Athletic Therapy Today. 14(2) : 3-9, 2009.
- Swisher LL, Woodard LJ, Quillen WS, Monroe ADH. Centralized and decentralized organizational models of interprofessional education for physical therapy and medical students. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 24(1) : 12-18, 2009.
- Swisher LL. Professionalization and the Ethic of Care: Educating for an Interprofessional Moral Community. Leadership in Interprofessional Health Education and Practice. , 2009.
- Swisher LL, Beckstead JW, Bebeau MJ. Factor analysis as a tool for survey analysis using a professional role orientation inventory as an example. Phys Ther.. (9) : 784-799, 2004.
- Associate Professor, Coordinator of Professional (School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of South Florida 2013 - 2006)
- Associate Professor, Coordinator of Professional E (School of Physical Therapy, University of South Florida 2005 - 2006)
- Assistant Professor (School of Physical Therapy, University of South Florida 1998 - 2005)
- Clinical Specialist for Research / Coordinator (Department of Rehabilitation Services, Vanderbilt University Medical Center 1996 - 1998)
- Department Head (Department of Physical Therapy, Tennessee State University 1993 - 1996)
- Acting Department Head (Department of Physical Therapy, Tennessee State University 1993 - 1993)
- Center Coordinator for Clinical Education (Department of Rehabilitation Services, Vanderbilt University Medical Center 1991 - 1993)
- Staff Physical Therapist (Department of Rehabilitation Services, Vanderbilt University Medical Center 1986 - 1991)
- Resident House Manager (YWCA, Domestic Violence Program 1981 - 1985)
- Associate Director of Field Education (-, Vanderbilt Divinity School 1980 - 1981)
- Interim Program Director (-, Forest Hills United Methodist Church 1980 - 1980)
- Director of Student Services and Religious Life (-, Wilson College 1978 - 1979)
- Student Hospital Chaplain (Deaconess Hospital (St. Louis), Memphis Institute of Medicine and Religion 1976 - 1977)
- Accounting Clerk (-, New England Life Insurance Company 1973 - 1974)
- Distinguished Educator Award (APTA Education Section - 2013)
- Outstanding Teaching A (Morsani College of Medicine - 2012)
- Outstanding Teaching Award (Morsani College of Medicine - 2011)
- Student Choice Award (USF School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences - 2010)
- President’s Service Award (Florida Physical Therapy Association - 2009)
- Lucy Blair Service Award (APTA - 2008)