Athletic Training Program
- Sears MN, Moffit DM, Lopez RM. Cultural Competence in Athletic Training Education Programs: A Critically Appraised Topic. International Journal of Athletic Therapy & Training, Accepted for publication, April 2020.
- McLean DR, Scarneo SE, Lopez RM. Current Perceptions of Athletic Trainers in the Diagnosis of Exertional Heat Stroke. Accepted November 2019. J Athl Train.
- Gonzalez D, Hall EA, Fry N, Lopez RM. The Effect of the Model of Organizational Infrastructure on Collegiate Athletic Trainer Job Satisfaction and Patient Care: A critically appraised topic. Accepted for publication. Int J Athl Ther Train, ePub Ahead of print, 2020.
- Parker KC, Shelton RR, Lopez RM. Are Alternative Cooling Methods as Effective in Decreasing Core Body Temperature as Cold-Water Immersion? A Critically Appraised Topic. J Sports Rehabil. 2020;29:367-372.
- Poole J, Stearns RL, Lopez RM. Heat Acclimatization and Prevention of Heat Illness in Youth Football. Strength Cond J. Published ahead of print, April 2017.
- Bedoya AA, Miltenberger MR, Lopez RM*. Plyometric training effects on athletic performance in youth soccer athletes: a systematic review. J Strength Cond Res, 2015;29(8):2351-60.
Student Projects & Presentations
- Lopez RM, Gorrell P, Del Rossi G. How accurate are weather conditions obtained from a commonly-used mobile weather application compared to measures obtained from a real-time monitoring device? Oral presentation at the 2018 National Athletic Trainers' Association Annual Meeting, June 2018, New Orleans, LA.
- Swain KL, Lopez RM. Avasular necrosis in a 17-year-old male high school player following posterior hip dislocation. Presentation at the 2017 North Carolina Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting.
- Ward BL, Hanley M, Lopez RM. Sudden myocardial infarction in a 19-year old Division I football lineman with no prior indicators. Oral presentation at 2013 NATA Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium in Las Vegas, NV. June 24-27, 2013.
- Ross RG, Neefe HI, Lopez RM. The Evaluation and Treatment of a Femoroacetabular Impingement in a Young Soccer Player: A Case Report. Poster presentation at 2013 NATA Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium in Las Vegas, NV. June 24-27, 2013.
- Schmidt RMS, Companioni GR, Lopez RM. Unicameral Bone Cysts of the Proximal Femur with Subsequent Pathological Fracture: A Case Report. Poster presentation at 2013 NATA Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium in Las Vegas, NV. June 24-27, 2013.
Recent Faculty Work
- Ashley CD, Lopez RM, Garzon XP, Bernard TE. Thermal exposure limit for mine refuge chambers: a descriptive study. Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration. 2020;37;179-186.
- Lopez RM, Ashley C, Zinder S, Tritsch AJ. Thermoregulatory Responses and Hydration Practices in Female, Semi-Professional American Football Players During Tackle Football Activities. J Strength Cond Res. Epub ahead of print, April 2019.
- Lopez RM, Tanner P, Irani S, Mularoni PP. A functional return to play progression following exertional heat stroke in a high school football player. J Athl Train. 2018;53(3):230-239.
- Hall EA, Docherty CL. Validity of clinical outcome measures to evaluate ankle range of motion during the weight-bearing lunge. J Sci Med Sport. 2016; Nov23,
- Hall EA, Simon JE, Docherty CL. Using ankle bracing and taping to decrease range of motion and velocity during inversion perturbation while walking. J Athl Train. 2016;51(4):283-290.
- Stearns RL, Casa DJ, O’Connor F, Lopez RM. A tale of two heat strokes. Curr Sports Med Rep, 2016;15(2):94-97.
- Lopez RM, Casa DJ, Jensen K, et al. Comparison of two fluid replacement protocols during a 20-km trail race in the heat. J Strength Cond Res, 2016;30(9):2609-16.
- Brown BW, Lopez RM. Strength and conditioning considerations for female tackle football players. Strength Cond J. 2016;38(2):79-87.
- Hall EA, Docherty CL, Simon J, Kinma JJ, Klossner JC. Strength-training protocols to improve deficits in participants with chronic ankle instability: a randomized controlled trial. J Athl Train. 2015;50(1):36-44.
- Lopez RM. American Football: Considerations for Optimal Performance in the Heat. Strength Cond J. December 2015;37(6):72-78.\
- Casa DJ,...Lopez RM, et al. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Exertional Heat Illnesses Position Statement.J Athl Train.2015;50(9):986-1000.
- Shultz SJ, Schmitz RJ, Cone JR, Henson RA, Montgomery MM, Pye ML, Tritsch AJ. Changes in fatigue, multiplanar knee laxity, and landing biomechanics during intermittent exercise. J Athl Train. 2015;50(5):486-497.
- Lopez RM. Book Editor. Quick Questions in Heat-Related Illnesses and Hydration: Expert Advice in Sports Medicine. SLACK, Inc Publishing, 2015.
- Fan L, Copple TJ, Tristch AJ, Shultz SJ. Clinical and instrumented measurements of hip laxity and their associations with knee laxity and general joint laxity. J Athl Train. 2014;49(5):590-598.
- Cleary MA, Toy MG, Lopez RM. Thermoregulatory, cardiovascular, and perceptual responses to intermittent cooling during exercise in a hot, humid outdoor environment. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2014;28(3):792-806.
- Schmidtz RJ, Cone JC, Tritsch AJ, Pye ML, Montomery MM, Henson RA, Shultz SJ. Changes in drop-jump landing biomechani cs during prolonged intermittent exercise. Sports Health. 2014;6(2):128-135.