Gregory Gutierrez, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences
3515 E. Fletcher Ave
Tampa FL 33612
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone:(813) 974-3806
- PhD, Biomechanics & Movement Science, University of Delaware, 2008
- MS, Biomechanics, University of Florida, 2005
- BS, Exercise Physiology, University of Florida, 2002
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Dr. Gregory M. Gutierrez received his doctorate in Biomechanics and Movement Sciences from the University of Delaware in 2008, following completion of his Master's degree in Biomechanics in 2005 and Baccalaureate degree in Exercise Physiology in 2002; both from the University of Florida. He is a biomechanist who examines the manner in which humans control dynamic joint stability during functional activities. Primarily, his research focuses on neuromuscular control mechanisms in individuals with ankle instability; specifically aiming to identify the cause of an ankle "giving way" and whether these deficits are centrally or peripherally derived. He uses a combination of motion analysis, ground reaction force recordings, muscle activation patterns, and a variety of other tools, during normal and perturbed movements to investigate these mechanisms. His other research interests include: the transition from shod to barefoot running, rehabilitation robotics, and neurocogntive function.
- Carter S, Gutierrez G. The concurrent validity of three computerized methods of muscle activity onset detection. Journal of electromyography and kinesiology : official journal of the International Society of Electrophysiological Kinesiology. 25(5) : 731-41, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26250750
- Pozzi F, Moffat M, Gutierrez G, M. Neuromuscular control during performance of a dynamic balance task in individuals with and without ankle instability. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy.. 10(4) : 520-529, 2015.
- Yen SC, Gutierrez GM, Wang YC, Murphy P. Alteration of ankle kinematics and muscle activity during heel contact when walking with external loading. European journal of applied physiology. 115(8) : 1683-92, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25802228
- Dundas MA, Gutierrez GM, Pozzi F. Neuromuscular control during stepping down in continuous gait in individuals with and without ankle instability. Journal of sports sciences. 32(10) : 926-33, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24499287
- Gutierrez GM, Conte C, Lightbourne K. The relationship between impact force, neck strength, and neurocognitive performance in soccer heading in adolescent females. Pediatric exercise science. 26(1) : 33-40, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24662117
- Olin ED, Gutierrez GM. EMG and tibial shock upon the first attempt at barefoot running. Human movement science. 32(2) : 343-52, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23643493
- Pozzi F, Gutierrez GM. An integrated biomechanical analysis of stepping down during continuous gait. Italian Journal of Physiotherapy. 3(1) : 3-10, 2013.
- Schmid S, Moffat M, Gutierrez GM The Effects of Knee Joint Cooling on Vertical Ground Reaction Forces, Knee Kinematics and Jump Height in a Drop Jump Task. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care. 5(1) : 29-37, 2013.
- Gutierrez GM, Knight CA, Swanik CB, Royer T, Manal K, Caulfield B, Kaminski TW. Examining neuromuscular control during landings on a supinating platform in persons with and without ankle instability. The American journal of sports medicine. 40(1) : 193-201, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21917613
- Yen SC, Gutierrez GM, Ling W, Magill R, McDonough A. Coordination variability during load carriage walking: can it contribute to low back pain? Human movement science. 31(5) : 1286-301, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22698836
- Yen SC, Ling W, Magill R, McDonough A, Gutierrez GM. Temporal relationship between trunk and thigh contributes to balance control in load carriage walking. Gait & posture. 34(3) : 402-8, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21752647
- Schmid S, Moffat M, Gutierrez GM. Effect of knee joint cooling on the electromyographic activity of lower extremity muscles during a plyometric exercise. Journal of electromyography and kinesiology : official journal of the International Society of Electrophysiological Kinesiology. 20(6) : 1075-81, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20702111
- Gutierrez GM, Kaminski T. A novel dynamic ankle-supinating device. Journal of applied biomechanics. 26(1) : 114-21, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20147765
- Jackson ND, Gutierrez GM, Kaminski T. The effect of fatigue and habituation on the stretch reflex of the ankle musculature. Journal of electromyography and kinesiology : official journal of the International Society of Electrophysiological Kinesiology. 19(1) : 75-84, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17761437
- Gullett JC, Tillman MD, Gutierrez GM, Chow JW. A biomechanical comparison of back and front squats in healthy trained individuals. Journal of strength and conditioning research / National Strength & Conditioning Association. 23(1) : 284-92, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19002072
- Gutierrez GM, Kaminski TW, Douex AT. Neuromuscular control and ankle instability. PM & R : the journal of injury, function, and rehabilitation. 1(4) : 359-65, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19627919
- Gutierrez GM, Jackson ND, Dorr KA, Margiotta SE, Kaminski TW. Effect of fatigue on neuromuscular function at the ankle. Journal of sport rehabilitation. 16(4) : 295-306, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18246896
- Kaminski TW, Wikstrom AM, Gutierrez GM, Glutting JJ. Purposeful heading during a season does not influence cognitive function or balance in female soccer players. Journal of clinical and experimental neuropsychology. 29(7) : 742-51, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17852597
- Conlon TJ, Walter G, Owen R, Cossette T, Erger K, Gutierrez G, Goetzman E, Matern D, Vockley J, Flotte TR. Systemic correction of a fatty acid oxidation defect by intramuscular injection of a recombinant adeno-associated virus vector. Human gene therapy. 17(1) : 71-80, 2006. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16409126
- Gutierrez GM, Chow JW, Tillman MD, McCoy SC, Castellano V, White LJ. Resistance training improves gait kinematics in persons with multiple sclerosis. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 86(9) : 1824-9, 2005. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16181949
- White L, J, McCoy S, C, Castellano V, Gutierrez G, M, Stevens J, E, Walter G, A, Vandenborne K, . Resistance training improves strength and functional capacity in persons with multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis. 10(6) : 668-74, 2004.
- Assistant Professor (Dept of Physical Therapy, New York University 2008 - 2015)