Morsani College of Medicine
MCOM's Mission, Values & Goals
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine aims to provide the education of students and professionals of the health and biomedical sciences through the creation of a scholarly environment that fosters excellence in the lifelong goals of education, research activity and compassionate patient care.
The USF Health Morsani College of Medicine will become a top quartile U.S. medical school by fostering excellence among its current faculty and recruiting creative physician scientists, innovative clinicians and master educators to continue to attract academically qualified, intellectually curious and compassionate students while embracing diversity, high value patient care, and industry partnerships that enable strategic growth.
The faculty and staff of the MCOM commit to these values as guides for our decisions and behaviors:
In upholding the highest standards we will:
- Demonstrate ethical leadership by example
- Conduct ourselves with integrity, avoiding conflicts of interest
- Hold our work to the highest academic standards
In valuing respect for individuals, we pledge to:
- Treat others with respect and dignity, honoring individual differences
- Promote open communication and listen proactively
- Create a collegial environment based on loyalty to our co-workers
In expressing our passion for learning, we encourage:
- Exploration of new ideas in our teaching and research
- The courage to meet challenges and assume risk
- Diverse learning opportunities where creativity thrives
- Interdisciplinary teamwork
Recognizing that exceptional quality begins with people, we will create:
- A culture of personal development and professional fulfillment
- A workplace where expectations are matched by our reward system
- An atmosphere where people value the balance between work and family
- A mentor-rich culture where faculty, staff and students can enhance their leadership skills
Supporting our fundamental belief in the doctor/patient relationship, we are committed to:
- The highest quality medical care for our patients
- Training the next generation of physicians and health care professionals to be capable and compassionate
- Promoting good health and well-being in response to the needs of our community
- Our community partners who help us achieve excellence in all that we do
There is a high degree of continuity across these planning activities in terms of the overarching goals of the College:
- A commitment to provide the highest quality and most relevant educational and training programs possible
- Dedication to conducting basic and translational research that advances knowledge and results in improvements in health and patient care
- The acquisition, generation and management of financial resources in a manner that makes the realization of these goals possible.
The USF Health Morsani College of Medicine will deliver the kind of creative and innovative education that produces “practice ready” physicians, physical therapists, athletic trainers, pharmacists and other health and biomedical sciences professionals and instills within them the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for the real world challenges of contemporary medicine.
The MCOM will advance collaborative learning and discovery through significantly expanded basic science, translational and clinical research that contributes to improved preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic outcomes.
The MCOM will achieve fiscal self-sufficiency and a stable economic base through the establishment of entrepreneurial academic, research and clinical programs. The MCOM will be the keystone in a network of institutions, programs and individuals that collaborate to provide innovative, high-quality, compassionate, accessible health care.