Faculty & Staff Directory
Uma Nair, PhD
Associate Professor, College of Nursing
- PhD, Kinesiology, Temple University, 2011
- MS, Exercise and Sport Sciences, Ithaca College, 2007
- MA, Clinical Psychology, SNDT University, 2003
- BA, Psychology & Sociology, Mumbai University, 2001
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Women & Children's Health
- Dr. Nair is a health disparities researcher focusing on reducing cancer-related health disparities in medically underserved populations. Specifically her research program comprises of (a) developing evidence-based behavioral interventions for nicotine dependence and tobacco, (b) promoting multiple health behavior change interventions for health promotion among low-income and minority populations, and (c) examining barriers to health promotion (e.g,. cancer screening) among sexual and gender diverse (SGD) populations.
- Society of Behavioral Medicine (Member, 2015 - Present)
- Society for Research in Nicotine and Tobacco (Member, 2015 - Present)
- Brady B,
O’Connor P, A,
Martz M, P,
Nair U, . Medicaid-Insured Client Characteristics and Quit Outcomes at the Arizona Smokers’ Helpline Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research. , 2021.
- Adsul P,
Nair U, S,
Tami-Maury I, Madhivanan P,
Kano . Shifting the Research Paradigm towards Cancer Equity – Incorporating Participatory Approaches and Implementation Science across the Research Agenda for Sexual and Gender Diverse Populations Annals of LGBTQ Public and Population Health.. , 2021.
- Thani M, A,
Hakim I, A,
Nair U, S. A telephone-based tobacco cessation program in the State of Qatar. Protocol of a feasibility study International Journal of Research in Public Health. , 2021.
- Nair U, S, Miller E, S, Bell M, B, Allen S, Collins B, N, & Allen A, M. Feasibility and Acceptability of Timing a Quit Attempt to the Menstrual Cycle in a Telephone-based Smoking Cessation Intervention: Protocol of a Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials. , 2020.