Student & Faculty Research
- Poole J, Stearns RL, Lopez RM. Heat Acclimatization and Prevention of Heat Illness in Youth Football. Strength Cond J. Published ahead of print, April 2017.
- Bedoya AA, Miltenberger MR, Lopez RM*. Plyometric training effects on athletic performance in youth soccer athletes: a systematic review. J Strength Cond Res, 2015;29(8):2351-60.
Student Projects & Presentations
- Lopez RM, Gorrell P, Del Rossi G. How accurate are weather conditions obtained from a commonly-used mobile weather application compared to measures obtained from a real-time monitoring device? Oral presentation at the 2018 National Athletic Trainers' Association Annual Meeting, June 2018, New Orleans, LA.
- Swain KL, Lopez RM. Avasular necrosis in a 17-year-old male high school player following posterior hip dislocation. Presentation at the 2017 North Carolina Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting.
- Ward BL, Hanley M, Lopez RM. Sudden myocardial infarction in a 19-year old Division I football lineman with no prior indicators. Oral presentation at 2013 NATA Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium in Las Vegas, NV. June 24-27, 2013.
- Ross RG, Neefe HI, Lopez RM. The Evaluation and Treatment of a Femoroacetabular Impingement in a Young Soccer Player: A Case Report. Poster presentation at 2013 NATA Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium in Las Vegas, NV. June 24-27, 2013.
- Schmidt RMS, Companioni GR, Lopez RM. Unicameral Bone Cysts of the Proximal Femur with Subsequent Pathological Fracture: A Case Report. Poster presentation at 2013 NATA Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium in Las Vegas, NV. June 24-27, 2013.
Recent Faculty Work
- 1. Lopez RM, Tanner P, Irani S, Mularoni PP. A functional return to play progression following exertional heat stroke in a high school football player. J Athl Train. 2018;53(3):230-239. Doi:10.4085/1062-6050.
2. Hall EA, Docherty CL. Validity of clinical outcome measures to evaluate ankle range of motion during the weight-bearing lunge. J Sci Med Sport. 2016; Nov23, [Epub ahead of print]
3. Hall EA, Simon JE, Docherty CL. Using ankle bracing and taping to decrease range of motion and velocity during inversion perturbation while walking. J Athl Train. 2016;51(4):283-290.
4. Stearns RL, Casa DJ, O’Connor F, Lopez RM. A tale of two heat strokes. Curr Sports Med Rep, 2016;15(2):94-97.
5. Lopez RM, Casa DJ, Jensen K, et al. Comparison of two fluid replacement protocols during a 20-km trail race in the heat. J Strength Cond Res, 2016;30(9):2609-16.
6. Brown BW, Lopez RM. Strength and conditioning considerations for female tackle football players. Strength Cond J. 2016;38(2):79-87.
7. Hall EA, Docherty CL, Simon J, Kinma JJ, Klossner JC. Strength-training protocols to improve deficits in participants with chronic ankle instability: a randomized controlled trial. J Athl Train. 2015;50(1):36-44.
8. Lopez RM. American Football: Considerations for Optimal Performance in the Heat. Strength Cond J. December 2015;37(6):72-78.
9. Casa DJ,...Lopez RM, et al. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Exertional Heat Illnesses Position Statement.J Athl Train.2015;50(9):986-1000.
10. Shultz SJ, Schmitz RJ, Cone JR, Henson RA, Montgomery MM, Pye ML, Tritsch AJ. Changes in fatigue, multiplanar knee laxity, and landing biomechanics during intermittent exercise. J Athl Train. 2015;50(5):486-497.
11. Lopez RM. Book Editor. Quick Questions in Heat-Related Illnesses and Hydration: Expert Advice in Sports Medicine. SLACK, Inc Publishing, 2015.
12. Dill K, Begalle R, Frank B, Zinder SM, Padua DA. Altered Knee and Ankle Kinematics during Squatting in those with Limited Weight-Bearing Lunge Ankle Dorsiflexion Motion. Journal of Athletic Training. 2014;49(6):723-732.
13. Fan L, Copple TJ, Tristch AJ, Shultz SJ. Clinical and instrumented measurements of hip laxity and their associations with knee laxity and general joint laxity. J Athl Train. 2014;49(5):590-598.
14. Cleary MA, Toy MG, Lopez RM. Thermoregulatory, cardiovascular, and perceptual responses to intermittent cooling during exercise in a hot, humid outdoor environment. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2014;28(3):792-806.
15. Lewek MD, Bradley CE, Wutzke CJ, Zinder SM. The relationship between spatiotemportal gait asymmetry and blance in individuals with chronic stroke. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 2014;30(1):31-36.
16. Schmidtz RJ, Cone JC, Tritsch AJ, Pye ML, Montomery MM, Henson RA, Shultz SJ. Changes in drop-jump landing biomechani cs during prolonged intermittent exercise. Sports Health. 2014;6(2):128-135.
17. Blackburn JT, Norcross M, Cannon L, Zinder SM. The influence of frontal plane joint stiffness on biomechanical anterior cruciate ligament loading mechanisms. Journal of Athletic Training. 2013;48:764-772.