Judette Louis, MD, MPH
Chair, College of Medicine Obstetrics & Gynecology
2 Tampa General Circle
Tampa FL 33606
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MD, Medicine, Drexel University College of Medicine, 2000
- MD, Medicine, MCP Hahnemann School of Medicine, 2000
- MPH, Epidemiology, John Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, 1998
"Education is the most important gift that we can give."
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Cardiovascular Sciences
- Metabolic Regulation and Disorders
- Women & Children's Health
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Maternal morbidity
- Maternal mortality
- Pregnancy as a window to cardiovascular health
- Member (American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM), 2008 - Present)
- Member (Sleep Research Society (SRS), 2008 - Present)
- Member (Society of Maternal Fetal Medicine (SMFM), 2003 - Present)
- Chair- Junior Fellow (Ohio Section of American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), 2003 - 2004)
- Vice Chair- Junior Fellow (Ohio Section of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), 2002 - 2003)
- Member (American Medical Association (AMA), 2002 - 2007)
- Junior Fellow Member (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), 2000 - 2007)
- Facco FL, Grobman WA, Reid KJ, Parker CB, Hunter SM, Silver RM, Basner RC, Saade GR, Pien GW, Manchanda S, Louis JM, Nhan-Chang CL, Chung JH, Wing DA, Simhan HN, Haas DM, Iams J, Parry S, Zee PC. Objectively measured short sleep duration and later sleep midpoint in pregnancy are associated with a higher risk of gestational diabetes. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. , 2017.
- Reid KJ, Facco FL, Grobman WA, Parker CB, Herbas M, Hunter S, Silver RM, Basner RC, Saade GR, Pien GW, Manchanda S, Louis JM, Nhan-Chang CL, Chung JH, Wing DA, Simhan HN, Haas DM, Iams J, Parry S, Zee PC. Sleep During Pregnancy: The nuMoM2b Pregnancy and Sleep Duration and Continuity Study. Sleep. 40(5) , 2017.
- Facco FL Parker CB Reddy UM Silver RM Koch MA Louis JM Basner RC Chung JH Nhan-Chang CL Pien GW Redline S Grobman WA Wing DA Simhan HN Haas DM Mercer BM Parry S Mobley D Hunter S Saade GR Schubert FP Zee PC. Association Between Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy and Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Obstet Gynecol.. 129(1) : 31-41., 2017.
- Brumley J, Cain MA, Stern M, Louis JM. Gestational Weight Gain and Breastfeeding Outcomes in Group Prenatal Care. Journal of Midwifery & Women''s Health. , 2016.
- Cain MA, Salemi JL, Tanner JP, Kirby RS, Salihu HM, Louis JM. Pregnancy as a window to future health: maternal placental syndromes and short-term cardiovascular outcomes. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. , 2016.
- Cain MA, Louis JM. Sleep Disordered Breathing and Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine. 36(2) : 435-46, 2016.
- Vamos CA, Cantor A, Thompson EL, Detman LA, Bronson EA, Phelps A, Louis JM, Gregg AR, Curran JS, Sappenfield WM. The Obstetric Hemorrhage Initiative (OHI) in Florida: The Role of Intervention Characteristics in Influencing Implementation Experiences among Multidisciplinary Hospital Staff. Maternal and Child Health ournal. , 2016.
- Sebastião YV, Womack L, Vamos CA, Louis JM, Olaoye F, Caragan T, Bubu OM, Detman LA, Curran JS, Sappenfield WM. Hospital variation in cesarean delivery rates: contribution of individual and hospital factors in Florida. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 214(1) : 123.e1-123.e18, 2016.
- Vricella LK, Louis JM, Chien E, Mercer BM. Blood volume determination in obese and normal-weight gravidas: the hydroxyethyl starch method. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 213(3) : 408.e1-6, 2015.
- Louis J, Saade G. Pregnancy as a Window to Future Health. Introduction. Seminars in perinatology. 39(4) : 253, 2015.
- Louis JM. Promise and challenges of maternal health collaboratives. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. 58(2) : 362-9, 2015.
- Cain MA, Ricciuti J, Louis JM. Sleep-disordered breathing and future cardiovascular disease risk. Seminars in perinatology. 39(4) : 304-9, 2015.
- Facco FL, Parker CB, Reddy UM, Silver RM, Louis JM, Basner RC, Chung JH, Schubert FP, Pien GW, Redline S, Mobley DR, Koch MA, Simhan HN, Nhan-Chang CL, Parry S, Grobman WA, Haas DM, Wing DA, Mercer BM, Saade GR, Zee PC. NuMoM2b Sleep-Disordered Breathing study: objectives and methods. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 212(4) : 542.e1-127, 2015.
- Louis JM, Menard MK, Gee RE. Racial and ethnic disparities in maternal morbidity and mortality. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 125(3) : 690-4, 2015.
- Salihu HM, King L, Patel P, Paothong A, Pradhan A, Louis J, Naik E, Marty PJ, Whiteman V. Association between maternal symptoms of sleep disordered breathing and fetal telomere length. Sleep. 38(4) : 559-66, 2015.
- Trudell AS, Louis JM, Tuuli MG, Caughey AB, Odibo AO, Cahill AG. Use of a simple clinical tool for airway assessment to predict adverse pregnancy outcomes. American journal of perinatology. 32(3) : 257-62, 2015.
- Cain MA, Whiteman VE, Buhari MA, Louis JM. Positive interferon-γ release assay leading to a diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis pericarditis in pregnancy. Obstetrics and gynecology. 124(2 Pt 2 Suppl 1) : 475-7, 2014.
- Louis JM, Mogos MF, Salemi JL, Redline S, Salihu HM. Obstructive sleep apnea and severe maternal-infant morbidity/mortality in the United States, 1998-2009. Sleep. 37(5) : 843-9, 2014.
- Ethridge JK, Louis JM, Mercer BM. Accuracy of fetal weight estimation by ultrasound in periviable deliveries. The journal of maternal-fetal & neonatal medicine : the official journal of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine, the Federation of Asia and Oceania Perinatal Societies, the International Society of Perinatal Obstetricians. 27(6) : 557-60, 2014.
- Gibson KS, Mercer BM, Louis JM. Inner thigh taping vs traction for cervical ripening with a Foley catheter: a randomized controlled trial. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 209(3) : 272.e1-7, 2013.
- Louis JM, Miladinovic B. In reply. Obstetrics and gynecology. 121(4) : 876, 2013.
- Louis J, Auckley D, Miladinovic B, Shepherd A, Mencin P, Kumar D, Mercer B, Redline S. Perinatal outcomes associated with obstructive sleep apnea in obese pregnant women. Obstetrics and gynecology. 120(5) : 1085-92, 2012.
- Vricella LK, Louis JM, Mercer BM, Bolden N. Epidural-associated hypotension is more common among severely preeclamptic patients in labor. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 207(4) : 335.e1-7, 2012.
- Louis J, Auckley D, Bolden N. Management of obstructive sleep apnea in pregnant women. Obstetrics and gynecology. 119(4) : 864-8, 2012.
- Vricella LK, Louis JM, Mercer BM, Bolden N. Impact of morbid obesity on epidural anesthesia complications in labor. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 205(4) : 370.e1-6, 2011.
- Varner MW, Rice MM, Anderson B, Tolosa JE, Sheffield J, Spong CY, Saade G, Peaceman AM, Louis JM, Wapner RJ, Tita AT, Sorokin Y, Blackwell SC, Prasad M, Thorp JM, Naresh A, Van Dorsten JP. Influenza-like illness in hospitalized pregnant and postpartum women during the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic. Obstetrics and gynecology. 118(3) : 593-600, 2011.
- Vricella LK, Louis JM, Mercer BM, Bolden N. Anesthesia complications during scheduled cesarean delivery for morbidly obese women. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 203(3) : 276.e1-5, 2010.
- Louis JM, Auckley D, Sokol RJ, Mercer BM. Maternal and neonatal morbidities associated with obstructive sleep apnea complicating pregnancy. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 202(3) : 261.e1-5, 2010.
- Louis J. Physician self-disclosure and patient counseling. The virtual mentor : VM. 10(10) : 670-2, 2008.
- Louis J, Landon MB, Gersnoviez RJ, Leveno KJ, Spong CY, Rouse DJ, Moawad AH, Varner MW, Caritis SN, Harper M, Wapner RJ, Miodovnik M, Carpenter M, Peaceman AM, O''Sullivan MJ, Sibai BM, Langer O, Thorp JM, Ramin SM, Mercer BM. Perioperative morbidity and mortality among human immunodeficiency virus infected women undergoing cesarean delivery. Obstetrics and gynecology. 110(2 Pt 1) : 385-90, 2007.
- Sokol RJ, Janisse JJ, Louis JM, Bailey BN, Ager J, Jacobson SW, Jacobson JL. Extreme prematurity: an alcohol-related birth effect. Alcoholism, clinical and experimental research. 31(6) : 1031-7, 2007.
- Louis J, Buhari MA, Allen D, Gonik B, Jones TB. Postpartum morbidity associated with advanced HIV disease. Infectious diseases in obstetrics and gynecology. 2006: 79512, 2006.
- Louis JM, Buhari MA, Blackwell SC, Refuerzo J, Allen D, Gonik B, Jones TB. Characteristics associated with suboptimal viral suppression at delivery in human immunodeficiency virus-1-infected pregnant women. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 193(3 Pt 2) : 1266-9, 2005.
- Louis JM, Ehrenberg HM, Collin MF, Mercer BM. Perinatal intervention and neonatal outcomes near the limit of viability. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 191(4) : 1398-402, 2004.
- Mentor of the Year Award (American Congress of Obstetricians & Gynecologists (ACOG) - 2012)
- President’s Award for Research Excellence (Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine (SMFM) - 2011)
- Honorable Mention- Young Investigator Award (American Academy of Sleep Medicine - 2010)
- Faculty Teaching Award, Residents in Obstetrics & Gynecology (MetroHealth Medical Center - 2010)