Spine Simulator with Custom-Built Capabilities!
NEW for 2023! Our new custom-built multi-axis spine simulator (PizzaCake Industries) is cutting-edge and advanced. It is capable of delivering answers to many research questions pertaining to spinal biomechanics. It can simulate cervical, lumbar, full torso, and pelvis / sacroiliac motion and deliver high-precision data.
The simulator has the following capabilities:
- Full protocol customization (LabVIEW; National Instruments)
- 6 DOF load cell (Omega 160; ATI Technologies)
- 6 DOF mobility (translations / torques) provided by Arcus PMX-4EX-SA stepper motors
- Air cylinders (Airpel; Airpot Corp.) for application of axial compression / distraction or muscle loads
- Analog output / input
- Signal acquisition from extensometers, DVRTs, pressure sensors, etc.
- Digital output
- Full 3D motion kinematics (OptiTrack)
Our research capabilities are open and available to all industries, private or public. Please contact us to discuss your project needs.
Past Research Projects
- Evaluation of absorbable Synthes cervical cage in a caprine model, time zero and longitudinal follow-up
- Maverick total disk replacement:
- Biomechanical performance tolerance envelope
- Lumbar facet loads and strains following implantation
- Analysis of Maverick placement vs. arthrodesis
- Biomechanical comparison of Medtronic titanium vs. PEEK posterior rods for pedicle screw fixation
- Evaluation of tensile strength and effects of biodegradation of xenograft material for rotator cuff and tendon replacement
- Affects of torsional torque on intradiscal pressure and disc height in the human lumbar spine
- Evaluation of Optimesh for treatment of vertebral compression fractures and affects on adjacent levels
- Use of anterior or antero-lateral plating following ALIF vs. augmentation with pedicle screw fixation.
- Investigation of forces applied over the cervicothoracic and thoracolumbar transitional zones of the human spine
- In vitro model of subsidence following placement of anterior cervical cages.
Department of Neurosurgery & Brain Repair
2 Tampa General Circle
Tampa, FL 33606
Phone: (813) 974-1377