Neurosurgery and Brain Repair
Hariom Yadav, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine- Molecular Medicine
Director, USF Center for Microbiome Research, Microbiomes Institute
Associate Professor, Neurosurgery and Brain Repair
Associate Professor, Internal Medicine- Digestive Diseases and Nutrition
Faculty, Center of Excellence for Aging and Brain Repair
Faculty, Byrd Alzheimer's Center/ USF Neuroscience Institute
12901 Bruce B Downs Blvd, MDC 78
University of South Florida
Tampa FL 33612
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone:(813) 974-8222
- PhD, Biochemistry, National Dairy Research Institute, 2006
- MSc, Applied Biochemistry, Jiwaji University, 2001
- BSc, Biology, Jiwaji University, 1999
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Biomedical Engineering & Nanomedicine
- Cancer Biology
- Cardiovascular Sciences
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Metabolic Regulation and Disorders
- Neurodegenerative Disease
- Dr. Yadav, an associate professor of neurosurgery and brain repair, was recruited to the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine to direct the Center for Microbiome Research, a key component of the newly launched USF Institute for Microbiomes. The major focus of Dr. Yadav's laboratory is investigating whether and how a leaky gut caused by disturbances in the gut microbiome contributes to the risk of dementia and other age-related chronic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and dementia. His group also work to develop evidence-based products -- probiotics, prebiotics, fermented foods, modified ketogenic diets -- that can modulate the microbiome to help prevent the bad effects of an abnormal leakiness in gut. Dr. Yadav's research is supported by funding from the National Institutes of Health, Department of Defense, and National Science Foundation.
- Member (Gerantological Society of America, 2018 - Present)
- Member (American Society of Nutrition, 2017 - Present)
- Member (American Diabetes Association, 2010 - Present)
- Member (American Physiological Society, 2008 - Present)
- Member (Sigma Xi Scientific Society, 2008 - Present)
- Lednovich KR, Nnyamah C, Gough S, Priyadarshini M, Xu K, Wicksteed B, Mishra S, Jain S, Zapater JL, Yadav H, Layden BT. Intestinal FFA3 Mediates Obesogenic Effects in Mice on a Western Diet. American journal of physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism. , 2022.
- Bhattacharya SS, Yadav B, Rosen L, Nagpal R, Yadav H, Yadav JS. Crosstalk between gut microbiota and lung inflammation in murine toxicity models of respiratory exposure or co-exposure to carbon nanotube particles and cigarette smoke extract. Toxicology and applied pharmacology. 447: 116066, 2022.
- Maleki S, Razavi SH, Yadav H. Diabetes and seeds: New horizon to promote human nutrition and anti-diabetics compounds in grains by germination. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. : 1-21, 2022.
- Contino KF, Yadav H, Shiozawa Y. The gut microbiota can be a potential regulator and treatment target of bone metastasis. Biochemical pharmacology. 197: 114916, 2022.
- Toledo ARL, Monroy GR, Salazar FE, Lee JY, Jain S, Yadav H, Borlongan CV. Gut-Brain Axis as a Pathological and Therapeutic Target for Neurodegenerative Disorders. International journal of molecular sciences. 23(3) , 2022.
- Rejeski JJ, Wilson FM, Nagpal R, Yadav H, Weinberg RB. The Impact of a Mediterranean Diet on the Gut Microbiome in Healthy Human Subjects: A Pilot Study. Digestion. 103(2) : 133-140, 2022.
- Kumari A, Bhawal S, Kapila S, Yadav H, Kapila R. Health-promoting role of dietary bioactive compounds through epigenetic modulations: a novel prophylactic and therapeutic approach. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. 62(3) : 619-639, 2022.
- Kumar M, Nagpal R, Kumar R, Hemalatha R, Verma V, Kumar A, Chakraborty C, Singh B, Marotta F, Jain S, Yadav H. Corrigendum to "Cholesterol-Lowering Probiotics as Potential Biotherapeutics for Metabolic Diseases". Journal of diabetes research. 2022: 3952529, 2022.
- Masternak MM, Yadav H. Microbiome in aging of Gut and Brain (MiaGB): paving the ways to understand gut-brain axis in aging. Aging pathobiology and therapeutics. 4(1) : 1-3, 2022.
- Saccon TD, Nagpal R, Yadav H, Cavalcante MB, Nunes ADC, Schneider A, Gesing A, Hughes B, Yousefzadeh M, Tchkonia T, Kirkland JL, Niedernhofer LJ, Robbins PD, Masternak MM. Senolytic Combination of Dasatinib and Quercetin Alleviates Intestinal Senescence and Inflammation and Modulates the Gut Microbiome in Aged Mice. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 76(11) : 1895-1905, 2021.
- Sagar P, Angmo S, Sandhir R, Rishi V, Yadav H, Singhal NK. Effect of hepcidin antagonists on anemia during inflammatory disorders. Pharmacology & therapeutics. 226: 107877, 2021.
- Soto-Pantoja DR, Gaber M, Arnone AA, Bronson SM, Cruz-Diaz N, Wilson AS, Clear KYJ, Ramirez MU, Kucera GL, Levine EA, Lelièvre SA, Chaboub L, Chiba A, Yadav H, Vidi PA, Cook KL. Diet Alters Entero-Mammary Signaling to Regulate the Breast Microbiome and Tumorigenesis. Cancer research. 81(14) : 3890-3904, 2021.
- Newman TM, Shively CA, Register TC, Appt SE, Yadav H, Colwell RR, Fanelli B, Dadlani M, Graubics K, Nguyen UT, Ramamoorthy S, Uberseder B, Clear KYJ, Wilson AS, Reeves KD, Chappell MC, Tooze JA, Cook KL. Diet, obesity, and the gut microbiome as determinants modulating metabolic outcomes in a non-human primate model. Microbiome. 9(1) : 100, 2021.
- Miller B, Mainali R, Nagpal R, Yadav H. A Newly Developed Synbiotic Yogurt Prevents Diabetes by Improving the Microbiome-Intestine-Pancreas Axis. International journal of molecular sciences. 22(4) , 2021.
- Mishra SP, Jain S, Taraphder S, Yadav H. New Horizons in Microbiota and Metabolic Health Research. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 106(2) : e1052-e1059, 2021.
- Razazan A, Karunakar P, Mishra SP, Sharma S, Miller B, Jain S, Yadav H. Activation of Microbiota Sensing - Free Fatty Acid Receptor 2 Signaling Ameliorates Amyloid-β Induced Neurotoxicity by Modulating Proteolysis-Senescence Axis. Frontiers in aging neuroscience. 13: 735933, 2021.
- Kincaid HJ, Nagpal R, Yadav H. Diet-Microbiota-Brain Axis in Alzheimer''s Disease. Annals of nutrition & metabolism. 77 Suppl 2: 21-27, 2021.
- Young TM, Bray AS, Nagpal RK, Caudell DL, Yadav H, Zafar MA. Animal Model To Study Klebsiella pneumoniae Gastrointestinal Colonization and Host-to-Host Transmission. Infection and immunity. 88(11) , 2020.
- Nagpal R, Mishra SK, Deep G, Yadav H. Role of TRP Channels in Shaping the Gut Microbiome. Pathogens (Basel, Switzerland). 9(9) , 2020.
- Nagpal R, Neth BJ, Wang S, Mishra SP, Craft S, Yadav H. Gut mycobiome and its interaction with diet, gut bacteria and alzheimer''s disease markers in subjects with mild cognitive impairment: A pilot study. EBioMedicine. 59: 102950, 2020.
- Nataraj BH, Ali SA, Behare PV, Yadav H. Postbiotics-parabiotics: the new horizons in microbial biotherapy and functional foods. Microbial cell factories. 19(1) : 168, 2020.
- Mishra SP, Karunakar P, Taraphder S, Yadav H. Free Fatty Acid Receptors 2 and 3 as Microbial Metabolite Sensors to Shape Host Health: Pharmacophysiological View. Biomedicines. 8(6) , 2020.
- Ahmadi S, Razazan A, Nagpal R, Jain S, Wang B, Mishra SP, Wang S, Justice J, Ding J, McClain DA, Kritchevsky SB, Kitzman D, Yadav H. Metformin Reduces Aging-Related Leaky Gut and Improves Cognitive Function by Beneficially Modulating Gut Microbiome/Goblet Cell/Mucin Axis. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 75(7) : e9-e21, 2020.
- Nagpal R, Mishra SP, Yadav H. Unique Gut Microbiome Signatures Depict Diet-Versus Genetically Induced Obesity in Mice. International journal of molecular sciences. 21(10) , 2020.
- Ahmadi S, Wang S, Nagpal R, Wang B, Jain S, Razazan A, Mishra SP, Zhu X, Wang Z, Kavanagh K, Yadav H. A human-origin probiotic cocktail ameliorates aging-related leaky gut and inflammation via modulating the microbiota/taurine/tight junction axis. JCI insight. 5(9) , 2020.
- Kincaid HJ, Nagpal R, Yadav H. Microbiome-immune-metabolic axis in the epidemic of childhood obesity: Evidence and opportunities. Obesity reviews : an official journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity. 21(2) : e12963, 2020.
- Wang S, Ahmadi S, Nagpal R, Jain S, Mishra SP, Kavanagh K, Zhu X, Wang Z, McClain DA, Kritchevsky SB, Kitzman DW, Yadav H. Lipoteichoic acid from the cell wall of a heat killed Lactobacillus paracasei D3-5 ameliorates aging-related leaky gut, inflammation and improves physical and cognitive functions: from C. elegans to mice. GeroScience. 42(1) : 333-352, 2020.
- Enck K, Banks S, Yadav H, Welker ME, Opara EC. Development of a Novel Oral Delivery Vehicle for Probiotics. Current pharmaceutical design. 26(26) : 3134-3140, 2020.
- Nagpal R, Neth BJ, Wang S, Craft S, Yadav H. Modified Mediterranean-ketogenic diet modulates gut microbiome and short-chain fatty acids in association with Alzheimer''s disease markers in subjects with mild cognitive impairment. EBioMedicine. 47: 529-542, 2019.
- Ahmadi S, Wang S, Nagpal R, Mainali R, Soleimanian-Zad S, Kitzman D, Yadav H. An In Vitro Batch-culture Model to Estimate the Effects of Interventional Regimens on Human Fecal Microbiota. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE. (149) , 2019.
- Guinan J, Wang S, Hazbun TR, Yadav H, Thangamani S. Antibiotic-induced decreases in the levels of microbial-derived short-chain fatty acids correlate with increased gastrointestinal colonization of Candida albicans. Scientific reports. 9(1) : 8872, 2019.
- Ahmadi S, Nagpal R, Wang S, Gagliano J, Kitzman DW, Soleimanian-Zad S, Sheikh-Zeinoddin M, Read R, Yadav H. Prebiotics from acorn and sago prevent high-fat-diet-induced insulin resistance via microbiome-gut-brain axis modulation. The Journal of nutritional biochemistry. 67: 1-13, 2019.
- Mishra SP, Wang S, Nagpal R, Miller B, Singh R, Taraphder S, Yadav H. Probiotics and Prebiotics for the Amelioration of Type 1 Diabetes: Present and Future Perspectives. Microorganisms. 7(3) , 2019.
- Panigrahi GK, Praharaj PP, Kittaka H, Mridha AR, Black OM, Singh R, Mercer R, van Bokhoven A, Torkko KC, Agarwal C, Agarwal R, Abd Elmageed ZY, Yadav H, Mishra SK, Deep G. Exosome proteomic analyses identify inflammatory phenotype and novel biomarkers in African American prostate cancer patients. Cancer medicine. 8(3) : 1110-1123, 2019.
- Ahmadi S, Sheikh-Zeinoddin M, Soleimanian-Zad S, Alihosseini F, Yadav H. Effects of different drying methods on the physicochemical properties and antioxidant activities of isolated acorn polysaccharides. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + [i.e. und] Technologie. Food science + technology. Science + technologie alimentaire. 100: 1-9, 2019.
- Whang A, Nagpal R, Yadav H. Bi-directional drug-microbiome interactions of anti-diabetics. EBioMedicine. 39: 591-602, 2019.
- Nagpal R, Shively CA, Register TC, Craft S, Yadav H. Gut microbiome-Mediterranean diet interactions in improving host health. F1000Research. 8: 699, 2019.
- Wankhade UD, Lee JH, Dagur PK, Yadav H, Shen M, Chen W, Kulkarni AB, McCoy JP, Finkel T, Cypess AM, Rane SG. TGF-β receptor 1 regulates progenitors that promote browning of white fat. Molecular metabolism. 16: 160-171, 2018.
- Nagpal R, Wang S, Ahmadi S, Hayes J, Gagliano J, Subashchandrabose S, Kitzman DW, Becton T, Read R, Yadav H. Human-origin probiotic cocktail increases short-chain fatty acid production via modulation of mice and human gut microbiome. Scientific reports. 8(1) : 12649, 2018.
- Nagpal R, Mainali R, Ahmadi S, Wang S, Singh R, Kavanagh K, Kitzman DW, Kushugulova A, Marotta F, Yadav H. Gut microbiome and aging: Physiological and mechanistic insights. Nutrition and healthy aging. 4(4) : 267-285, 2018.
- Nagpal R, Wang S, Solberg Woods LC, Seshie O, Chung ST, Shively CA, Register TC, Craft S, McClain DA, Yadav H. Comparative Microbiome Signatures and Short-Chain Fatty Acids in Mouse, Rat, Non-human Primate, and Human Feces. Frontiers in microbiology. 9: 2897, 2018.
- Mohan J, Ali SA, Suvartan R, Kapila S, Sharma R, Tomar SK, Behare P, Yadav H. BIOAVAILABILITY OF BIOTRANSFORMED ZINC ENRICHED DAHI IN WISTAR RATS. International journal of probiotics & prebiotics. 13(2-3) : 45-54, 2018.
- Nagpal R, Shively CA, Appt SA, Register TC, Michalson KT, Vitolins MZ, Yadav H. Gut Microbiome Composition in Non-human Primates Consuming a Western or Mediterranean Diet. Frontiers in nutrition. 5: 28, 2018.
- Chander AM, Yadav H, Jain S, Bhadada SK, Dhawan DK. Cross-Talk Between Gluten, Intestinal Microbiota and Intestinal Mucosa in Celiac Disease: Recent Advances and Basis of Autoimmunity. Frontiers in microbiology. 9: 2597, 2018.
- Nagpal R, Newman TM, Wang S, Jain S, Lovato JF, Yadav H. Obesity-Linked Gut Microbiome Dysbiosis Associated with Derangements in Gut Permeability and Intestinal Cellular Homeostasis Independent of Diet. Journal of diabetes research. 2018: 3462092, 2018.
- Yadav H, Devalaraja S, Chung ST, Rane SG. TGF-β1/Smad3 Pathway Targets PP2A-AMPK-FoxO1 Signaling to Regulate Hepatic Gluconeogenesis. The Journal of biological chemistry. 292(8) : 3420-3432, 2017.
- Kelley EE, Paes AM, Yadav H, Quijano C, Cassina A, Trostchansky A. Interplay between Oxidative Stress and Metabolism in Signalling and Disease 2016. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. 2017: 7013972, 2017.
- Khan Z, Khan AA, Yadav H, Prasad GBKS, Bisen PS. Survivin, a molecular target for therapeutic interventions in squamous cell carcinoma. Cellular & molecular biology letters. 22: 8, 2017.
- Nagpal R, Yadav H. Bacterial Translocation from the Gut to the Distant Organs: An Overview. Annals of nutrition & metabolism. 71 Suppl 1: 11-16, 2017.
- Wankhade UD, Shen M, Yadav H, Thakali KM. Novel Browning Agents, Mechanisms, and Therapeutic Potentials of Brown Adipose Tissue. BioMed research international. 2016: 2365609, 2016.
- Assistant Professor (Internal Medicine- Molecular Medicine, Wake Forest School of Medicine 2017 - 2021)
- Featured Researcher of Center for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism (CDOM) at Wake Forest School of (Wake Forest School of Medicine - 2020)
- NIA Summer Trainee for Experimental Aging Research, Travel/Training Award (National Institutes of Health - 2019)
- Butler-Williams Scholar on Aging Research, Travel/Training Award, (National Institutes of Health - 2019)
- Best paper published in Year 2018 from Wake Forest School of Medicine (Wake Forest School of Medicine - 2019)
- Best papers published in the field of cytokine biology from NIH and FDA (National Institutes of Health - 2012)
- Ramalingaswami Fellowship Award, (Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India - 2012)
- Mead Johnson Young Investigator Award (American Physiological Society - 2012)
- ASBMB 2012 Graduate/ Postdoctoral Travel Award (American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - 2012)
- American Physiological Society (APS) Research Recognition Award (American Physiological Society - 2011)
- NIH- Fellows Award for Research Excellence (National Institutes of Health - 2010)
- NIH- Fellows Award for Research Excellence (National Institutes of Health - 2009)
- NIH- Fellows Award for Research Excellence (National Institutes of Health - 2008)
- NIDDK Nancy Nossal Fellowship Award (National Institutes of Health - 2008)