Welcome to the Department of Internal Medicine
"Our mission is to provide superb clinical care, educate with excellence and pursue research with passion"
The Department of Internal Medicine is the largest and most complex department in the Morsani College of Medicine with over 24 Divisions, Programs and Centers/Institutes,a total human resources in excess of 1,000,000 and an annual all-source budget in excess of $130,000,000.
The Department provides education and training for a diverse group of medical students, residents, fellows and health personnel from USF and throughout the world. Highlights of our successes in teaching, research and patient-care are listed below:
- AAMC ranks USF in the top 4% of internal medicine programs nationally in preparing students for residency.
- Our educational mission is global. Dr. Menezes, Assistant Dean for International Medicine, manages training programs in 32 countries-from Panama to China to Bangladesh-teaching leadership, quality improvement, and global health via bilateral exchange of scholars.
- Board Pass Rate 100% (97% over 3 year)
- Resident Match Rate 100%
- Growth of Residency Programs from 86 to 138
- Growth of Fellowship Programs from 65 to 90
- Doximity ranking at 84 and USMLE Score Average increasing from 200 to 249
The Department's research activities are numerous and involve both basic and clinical research activities in all subspecialties of Internal Medicine.
- USF's Internal Medicine has 18 research faculty responsible for about $78 million in NIH research dollars. We are ranked nationally at 19/173 in funded NIH research by BRIMR.org in 2018.
- Dr. Krischer is the world-renowned meta data analyst on Type 1 diabetes. Recently, Dr. Christian Brechot, former director of the Pasteur Institute and past president of Biomerieux, was recruited to examine the microbiome.
- The malaria team under Dr. Cui and Dr. Kim conducts fundamental and translational research on malarial resistance and that team has bases in Malawi, Myanmar, Thailand, and other countries.
- In the Allergy Division, Dr. Kolliputi and Dr. Cardet study small airway disease and fibrosis. All research in the malaria and allergy units is NIH funded.
- Patient care occurs in our affiliated hospitals (Tampa General Hospital (TGH), H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, James A Haley VA Hospital, AdventHealth aka Florida Hospital) as well as our state-of-the-art ambulatory health care centers. The Department also provides healthcare support and services via contractual arrangements with many diverse organizations.
- U.S. News & World Report Rankings, of 5,500 hospitals-USF at TGH is 18th in Nephrology, 24th in Gastroenterology, 13th in Endocrine and 48th in Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine and honorary mention in Geriatrics.
- We also have affiliate faculty in all Internal Medicine Divisions who practice and teach at the James A. Haley VA Hospital, which is recognized as a 5-star VA, one of only 13 such hospitals in the nation. The VA sponsors a nationally coveted Quality Improvement Chief Residency Program. Dr. Jose Lezama is a Vice Chair of our department and the Chief of Medicine leading the James A. Haley VA Hospital.
- USF's Internal Medicine faculty size has increased from 90 to 225 in the past five years. Over 40 of these clinicians are ranked in "Best Doctors in America." One is a member of the National Academy of Medicine and another is a member of the Association of American Physicians. Over sixty (60) are members of AOA.
- Most recently we are developing a Center for Advanced Lung Disease under Dr. Kapil Patel.
- Our critical care programs are among the top in the nation. We teach courses that certify physicians in ECMO and LV AD use.
Internal Medicine News
Upcoming IM Grand Rounds
- August 29, 2019
- September 5, 2019
- September 12, 2019
- September 19, 2019
- September 26, 2019
- October 3, 2019
- October 10, 2019
- October 17, 2019
- October 24, 2019
- October 31, 2019
- November 7, 2019