Aspiring Physician Leadership Program
BayCare Physician Leadership ProgramAt the start of their PGY-2 year our residents have the opportunity to participate in the BayCare Physician Leadership Program, which is a two-year longitudinal program.
The goals of the program are to enable physicians to lead in the delivery of exceptional health care, and to develop a talent pipeline of physician leaders. The combination of a formal base curriculum, social engagement, and coaching/ mentorship provides a framework for the program.
Residents involved with this program can conveniently attend most of the large group sessions remotely from the Turley Family Health Center, and the live sessions at the main BayCare office allow residents to interact with a variety of different specialists and providers at different stages of their careers within the BayCare system. Participants also are able to get individualized coaching based on formal assessments such as the DISC personality test, the Conflict Dynamics Profile, the Influence Style Indicator, and others.
Every two months resident participants also meet with the resident leadership program’s Director Dr. Wanda Cruz-Knight, and the Co-Director Dr. Julia Jenkins, to review and discuss a book relevant to physician-leaders. Residents feel this is one of the most valuable parts of the program, as it involves small group discussion about a variety of topics meant to foster individual introspection and growth.
Aspiring Physician Leaders Program
To train resident family physicians to embrace leadership as a necessary tool for enhancing health care services, and for improving the well-being of the community of patients they serve.
- To recognize leadership as an essential part of a physician’s medical mission
- To explore leadership philosophy, values, and goals
- To provide a forum for educated debate and discussion
- To identify and develop individual leadership strengths and opportunities for growth
- To facilitate networking opportunities with healthcare leaders and innovators
Tools for Accomplishing Goals:
- PGY2 participation in leadership book club workshops (*books vary per year)
- PGY3 participation in leadership training sessions and workshops
- Learning Formats:
- Computer-based: online modules and assessments
- Live sessions: both at the Turley FHC and at the BayCare Systems Office
- Workshops: small group meetings that emphasize exchange of ideas with demonstration and application of skills learned
*Residents who complete a certain number of requirements receive a Certificate of Completion, recognizing their leadership training and demonstrated leadership capabilities.