Niketa Patel, Ph.D.
Professor, Molecular Medicine, Morsani College of Medicine
3802 Spectrum Blvd.
Academic Phone:(813) 972-2000
View My C.V.
- PHD, Molecular Biology, University of South Florida, 1998
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Metabolic Regulation and Disorders
- Neurodegenerative Disease
- The overall goal of my research program is to understand the cellular and molecular mechanisms of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes and metabolic pathways in neurodegenerative diseases. My lab has successfully carved a niche in integrating RNA biology with signaling in biologically relevant systems using gene ontology and Meta data.
- Lab projects include: Isolation, genetic characterization of adipose-derived stem cells (ASC) from lean and obese patients, genetic signatures of adipose depots, ASC and its exosomes and their application in regenerative medicine, inflammation and apoptosis in obesity, alternative splicing mechanisms and regulation by hormones and metabolites, the role and mode of action of long noncoding RNAs in diseases, intranasal insulin treatment and mechanisms in memory and cognition, drug discovery.
- Member (American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2021 - Present)
- Member (American Association for Advancement of Science, 2020 - Present)
- Founding Member (National Academy of Inventors, 2009 - Present)
- member (Endocrine Society, 1998 - Present)
- Patel, R.S., Lui, A., Hudson, C., Moss, L., Sparks, R.P., Hill, S.E., Shi, Y., Cai, J., Blair, L.J., Bickford, P.C., Patel, N.A. Small molecule targeting long noncoding RNA GAS5 administered intranasally improves neuronal insulin signaling and decreases neuroinflammation in an aged mouse model. Nature Scientific Reports. 13(1) : 317, 2023.
- Patel, R.S., Impreso, S., Lui, A., Vidyarthi, G., Albear, P., Patel, N.A. Long noncoding RNA GAS5 contained in exosomes derived from human adipose stem cells promotes repair and modulates inflammation in a chronic dermal wound healing model. Biology. 11(426) , 2022.
- Patel A.A., Dobbins, T., Kong, X., Patel, N.A.*, Cooper, D.R*. Induction of beige-like adipocyte markers and functions in 3T3-L1 cells by Clk1 and PKCβII inhibitory molecules. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. , 2022.
- Patel R, P, Rupani R, Impreso S, Lui A, Patel N, A, . Role of alternatively spliced, pro‐survival Protein Kinase C delta VIII (PKCδVIII) in ovarian cancer. FASEB BioAdvances. , 2021.
- Lui A, Sparks R, Patel R, Patel NA. Identification of Sortilin Alternatively Spliced Variants in Mouse 3T3L1 Adipocytes. International journal of molecular sciences. 22(3) , 2021.
- Moss, L.D., Sode, D., Patel, R.S., Lui, A., Hudson, C., Patel, N.A.*, Bickford, P.C*. Intranasal delivery of exosomes from human adipose derived stem cells at forty-eight hours post injury reduces motor and cognitive impairments following traumatic brain injury. Neurochemistry International. 150, 2021.
- Bader D, Patel RS, Lui A, Thawani C, Rupani R, Vidyarthi G, Patel NA. Multi-level regulation of PKCδI alternative splicing by lithium chloride. Molecular and cellular biology. , 2020.
- Shi Y, Parag S, Patel R, Lui A, Murr M, Cai J, Patel NA. Stabilization of lncRNA GAS5 by a Small Molecule and Its Implications in Diabetic Adipocytes. Cell chemical biology. 26(3) : 319-330.e6, 2019.
- Sava V, Song S, Kong X, El Bassit G, Patel N, A, Kenyon D, Sebti S, Sanchez-Ramos J. Small Molecules that Mimic or Antagonize Actions of Granulocyte Colony- Stimulating Factor (G-CSF). J Drug Res Dev. 3(2) : http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/2470-1009.131., 2017.
- 1, El Bassit G Patel RS Carter G Shibu V Patel A Song S Murr M Cooper DR Bickford PC Patel N, A, . MALAT1 in human adipose stem cells modulates survival and alternative splicing of PKCδII in HT22 cells Endocrinology. , 2016.
- Patel R, Carter G, El Bassit G, Patel A, A, Cooper D, R, Murr M, and Patel N, A. Adipose-derived stem cells from lean and obese humans show depot specific differences in their stem cell markers, exosome contents and senescence: Role of Protein Kinase C delta (PKCδ) in adipose stem cell niche. Stem Cell Investigations. 3(2) , 2016.
- Carter G, Miladinovic B, Patel A, A, Deland L, Mastorides S, and Patel N, A, . Circulating long noncoding RNA GAS5 levels are correlated to diabetes mellitus. BBA Clinical. 11(4) : 102-7, 2015.
- Patel, R., Carter, G., Cooper, D.R. Apostolatos, H., and Patel, N.A. Transformer 2 beta homolog (Drosophila) (TRA2B) regulates Protein Kinase C deltaI (PKCδI) splice variant expression during 3T3L1 pre-adipocyte cell cycle Jour Biol Chem. : doi:10.1074/jbc.M114.592337, 2014.
- Carter, G., Patel, R., Apostolatos, A., Murr, M., Cooper, D.R. and Patel, N.A. PKCδ splice variants modulate senescence via hTERT in adipose-derived stem cells Stem Cell Investigation. 3(1) , 2014.
- Tajiri, N., Acosta, S.A., Shahaduzzaman, M., Ishikawa, H, Shinozuka, K.., Pabon, M., Hernandez-Ontiveros, D, Kim, D.W., Metcalf, C., Staples, M., D. Intravenous transplants of human adipose-derived stem cell protect the brain from TBI-induced neurodegeneration and motor and cognitive impairments: Cell graft bio-distribution and soluble factors in young and aged rats Journal of Neuroscience. 1(341) : 313-326, 2014.
- Watson JE, Patel, N.A., Carter, G., Moor, A., Patel, R., Ghansah, T., Mathur, A., Murr, M., Bickford, P., Gould, L., Cooper, D.R. Comparison of markers and functional attributes of human adipose derived stem cells and dedifferentiated adipocyte cells from subcutaneous fat of an obese diabetic donor Advances in Wound Care. 3(3) : 219-228, 2014.
- Cooper, D.R. Carter, G., Li, P., Patel, R., Watson, J. and Patel, N.A. Long non-coding RNA NEAT1 sequesters SRp40 to temporally regulate PPARγ splicing during adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 cells Genes. , 2014.
- Patel RS, Apostolatos A, Carter G, Ajmo JM, Gali M, Cooper DR, You,M., Bisht, K. and Patel, N. A. Protein kinase C delta splice variants modulate apoptosis pathway in 3T3L1 cells during adipogenesis: Identification of PKCdeltaII inhibitor. Jour Biol Chem. 37(288) : 26834-46, 2013.
- Carter, G., Apostolatos, A., Patel, R., Mathur, A., Cooper, D.R., Murr, M., Patel, N.A. Dysregulated alternative splicing pattern of PKCδ during differentiation of human preadipocytes represents distinct differences between lean and obese adipocytes. ISRN Obesity. : 161345, 2013.
- Li, P., Carter, G., Romero, J., Gower, K. M., Watson, J., Patel, N. A., and Cooper, D. R. Clk/STY (cdc2-Like kinase 1) and Akt regulate alternative splicing and adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 pre-adipocytes PLOS One. : e53268, 2013.
- Pennington-Rowe, A., Sava, V., Song, S., Patel, N.A. and Sanchez-Ramos, J. Direct Actions of Granulocyte-Colony Stimulating Factor on Human Neuronal and Monocytic Cell Lines J of Alzheimer''s Disease and Parkinsonism. 121(3) , 2013.
- Apostolatos, A., Song, S., Acosta, S., Peart, M., Watson, J. E., Bickford, P., Cooper, D. R., and Patel, N. A. Insulin promotes neuronal survival via the alternatively spliced protein kinase CdeltaII isoform J Biol Chem. (287) : 9299-9310, 2012.
- Apostolatos H, Apostolatos A, Vickers T, Watson JE, Song S, Vale F, Cooper DR, Sanchez-Ramos J, Patel NA. Vitamin A metabolite, all-trans-retinoic acid, mediates alternative splicing of protein kinase C deltaVIII (PKCdeltaVIII) isoform via splicing factor SC35. The Journal of biological chemistry. 285(34) : 25987-95, 2010.
- Kleiman E, Carter G, Ghansah T, Patel NA, Cooper DR. Developmentally spliced PKCbetaII provides a possible link between mTORC2 and Akt kinase to regulate 3T3-L1 adipocyte insulin-stimulated glucose transport. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 388(3) : 554-9, 2009.
- Chappell DS, Patel NA, Jiang K, Li P, Watson JE, Byers DM, Cooper DR. Functional involvement of protein kinase C-betaII and its substrate, myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate (MARCKS), in insulin-stimulated glucose transport in L6 rat skeletal muscle cells. Diabetologia. 52(5) : 901-11, 2009.
- Jiang K, Patel NA, Watson JE, Apostolatos H, Kleiman E, Hanson O, Hagiwara M, Cooper DR. Akt2 regulation of Cdc2-like kinases (Clk/Sty), serine/arginine-rich (SR) protein phosphorylation, and insulin-induced alternative splicing of PKCbetaII messenger ribonucleic acid. Endocrinology. 150(5) : 2087-97, 2009.
- Jiang K, Apostolatos AH, Ghansah T, Watson JE, Vickers T, Cooper DR, Epling-Burnette PK, Patel NA. Identification of a novel antiapoptotic human protein kinase C delta isoform, PKCdeltaVIII in NT2 cells. Biochemistry. 47(2) : 787-97, 2008.
- Ghosh N, Patel N, Jiang K, Watson JE, Cheng J, Chalfant CE, Cooper DR. Ceramide-activated protein phosphatase involvement in insulin resistance via Akt, serine/arginine-rich protein 40, and ribonucleic acid splicing in L6 skeletal muscle cells. Endocrinology. 148(3) : 1359-66, 2007.
- Patel NA, Song SS, Cooper DR. PKCdelta alternatively spliced isoforms modulate cellular apoptosis in retinoic acid-induced differentiation of human NT2 cells and mouse embryonic stem cells. Gene expression. 13(2) : 73-84, 2006.
- Patel NA, Kaneko S, Apostolatos HS, Bae SS, Watson JE, Davidowitz K, Chappell DS, Birnbaum MJ, Cheng JQ, Cooper DR. Molecular and genetic studies imply Akt-mediated signaling promotes protein kinase CbetaII alternative splicing via phosphorylation of serine/arginine-rich splicing factor SRp40. The Journal of biological chemistry. 280(14) : 14302-9, 2005.
- Patel NA, Apostolatos HS, Mebert K, Chalfant CE, Watson JE, Pillay TS, Sparks J, Cooper DR. Insulin regulates protein kinase CbetaII alternative splicing in multiple target tissues: development of a hormonally responsive heterologous minigene. Molecular endocrinology (Baltimore, Md.). 18(4) : 899-911, 2004.
- Patel NA, Eichler DC, Chappell DS, Illingworth PA, Chalfant CE, Yamamoto M, Dean NM, Wyatt JR, Mebert K, Watson JE, Cooper DR. The protein kinase C beta II exon confers mRNA instability in the presence of high glucose concentrations. The Journal of biological chemistry. 278(2) : 1149-57, 2003.
- Patel NA, Yamamoto M, Illingworth P, Mancu D, Mebert K, Chappell DS, Watson JE, Cooper DR. Phosphoinositide 3-kinase mediates protein kinase C beta II mRNA destabilization in rat A10 smooth muscle cell cultures exposed to high glucose. Archives of biochemistry and biophysics. 403(1) : 111-20, 2002.
- Patel NA, Chalfant CE, Watson JE, Wyatt JR, Dean NM, Eichler DC, Cooper DR. Insulin regulates alternative splicing of protein kinase C beta II through a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent pathway involving the nuclear serine/arginine-rich splicing factor, SRp40, in skeletal muscle cells. The Journal of biological chemistry. 276(25) : 22648-54, 2001.
- Yamamoto M, Acevedo-Duncan M, Chalfant CE, Patel NA, Watson JE, Cooper DR. Acute glucose-induced downregulation of PKC-betaII accelerates cultured VSMC proliferation. American journal of physiology. Cell physiology. 279(3) : C587-95, 2000.
- Sanchez-Ramos J, Song S, Cardozo-Pelaez F, Hazzi C, Stedeford T, Willing A, Freeman TB, Saporta S, Janssen W, Patel N, Cooper DR, Sanberg PR. Adult bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neural cells in vitro. Experimental neurology. 164(2) : 247-56, 2000.
- Cooper DR, Watson JE, Patel N, Illingworth P, Acevedo-Duncan M, Goodnight J, Chalfant CE, Mischak H. Ectopic expression of protein kinase CbetaII, -delta, and -epsilon, but not -betaI or -zeta, provide for insulin stimulation of glucose uptake in NIH-3T3 cells. Archives of biochemistry and biophysics. 372(1) : 69-79, 1999.
- Yamamoto M, Patel NA, Taggart J, Sridhar R, Cooper DR. A shift from normal to high glucose levels stimulates cell proliferation in drug sensitive MCF-7 human breast cancer cells but not in multidrug resistant MCF-7/ADR cells which overproduce PKC-betaII. International journal of cancer. Journal international du cancer. 83(1) : 98-106, 1999.
- Patel NA, Chalfant CE, Yamamoto M, Watson JE, Eichler DC, Cooper DR. Acute hyperglycemia regulates transcription and posttranscriptional stability of PKCbetaII mRNA in vascular smooth muscle cells. The FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. 13(1) : 103-13, 1999.
- Yamamoto M, Acevedo-Duncan M, Chalfant CE, Patel NA, Watson JE, Cooper DR. The roles of protein kinase C beta I and beta II in vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation. Experimental cell research. 240(2) : 349-58, 1998.
- Chalfant CE, Watson JE, Bisnauth LD, Kang JB, Patel N, Obeid LM, Eichler DC, Cooper DR. Insulin regulates protein kinase CbetaII expression through enhanced exon inclusion in L6 skeletal muscle cells. A novel mechanism of insulin- and insulin-like growth factor-i-induced 5'' splice site selection. The Journal of biological chemistry. 273(2) : 910-6, 1998.
- Senior Member (National Academy of Inventors - 2020)
- Chair, RNA and Disease (Endocrine Society - 2007)