About the Division
Our mission is the pursuit of excellence in clinical care, teaching, research, along with service to the citizens of the State of Florida and the global community. The faculty provides the best clinical care in all areas of cardiovascular disease to patients in the Tampa Bay community and beyond.
USF Health Cardiovascular Sciences is on the forefront of development in heart health. Some of the leading experts and most brilliant minds in the field are a part of the USF Health team, and have joined forces in the fight against the nation's number one killer: Heart Disease. As an entity of the University of South Florida we are able to provide patients with the latest and best services and treatment options before they are available anywhere else, not only in procedural breakthroughs, but in expertly-designed clinical trials as well.
All aspects of patient heart health, prevention, testing, and treatment for any heart related problem, are handled with state-of-the-art clinical care by our renowned physicians. Symptoms from chest pain, shortness of breath or dizziness to heart attack, atrial fibrillation or congestive heart failure are treated here. With three locations in the Tampa Bay Area, and availability of the latest advances in equipment and treatment options, USF Health Cardiovascular Sciences provides the best care for patients and their heart health needs.
The educational programs provide instruction in cardiovascular diagnosis and management as well as technical skills in invasive and noninvasive cardiovascular procedures to medical students, residents, and fellows. There are active programs in clinical research, clinical trials, and basic and translational research. The faculty, fellows, and allied professionals associated with the USF Department of Cardiovascular Medicine are dedicated to reducing the impact of cardiovascular disease in the regional and global community by their efforts in clinical care, education, and cutting-edge research.
The Division of Cardiovascular Disease's academic offices are located on campus at the USF Health Sciences Center adjacent to the USF Medical Clinic.
The USF Cardiovascular Services at the USF Health South Building(adjacent to Tampa General Hospital) offers outpatient cardiac diagnostic(Echocardiography, Nuclear stress) and consultative services. Specialized clinics for the diagnosis and management of arrhythmias, heart failure, and ischemic heart disease, management of anticoagulation and, lipid disorders, and evaluation and management of cardiac implantable electrical devices (pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators, and resynchronization devices) are located at the center.
A large number of patients and high-quality facilities provide fellows experience in management of a variety of conditions.
- State-of-the-art cardiac catheterization laboratories provide experience in the performance of coronary angioplasties, use of intravascular ultrasound, balloon valvuloplasty, peripheral angioplasty and electrophysiologic procedures.
- Active noninvasive laboratories provide reading and performance of echo and Doppler exams, transesophageal studies, tilt table, Holter studies, stress testing with echocardiographic and nuclear imaging.
- The busy coronary care units provide exposure to acute and subacute cardiac care.
- Cardiology consultation services provide a large number of consultation experiences at Tampa General Hospital, JA Haley VA Hospital and Moffitt Cancer Center.
- Tampa General Hospital's transplant program provides exposure to post transplant care.