USF Medicine International
Charurut Somboonwit, MD, FACP, FIDSA
Director, Clinical Research, Florida Department of Health - Hillsborough County
Director, Communicable Diseases, Florida Department of Health - Hillsborough County
Chair, Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee
Associate Director, Division of Infectious Disease & International Medicine, Dept. of Internal Medicine
1105 E Kennedy Blvd
Clinical Research Unit
Tampa FL 33602
Academic Email: email@example.com
Academic Phone:(813) 844-4187
- MD, Srinanakharinwirot University, Bangkok, 1995
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- HIV Clinical Trials, please visit www.FLHIVresearch.com
- Fellow (Americal College of Physicians, 2008 - Present)
- Member (Florida Public Health Association, 2007 - Present)
- Lifetime Member (Leadership Florida, 2007 - Present)
- Member (Thai Physicians Association of America, 2005 - Present)
- Member (Florida Infectious Disease Society, 2002 - Present)
- Member (Infectious Disease Society of America, 2001 - Present)
- Member (American College of Physicians, 1998 - Present)
- Member (American Medical Association, 1998 - Present)
- Member (The Medical Council of Thailand, 1995 - Present)
- Ahmed S, Algarin AB, Thadar H, Zhou Z, Taskin T, Vaddiparti K, Villalba K, Wang Y, Ennis N, Morano JP, Somboonwit C, Cook RL, Ibañez G Comorbidities among persons living with HIV (PLWH) in Florida: a network analysis AIDS Care. 2022 Feb 16: 1-9. doi: 10.1080/09540121.2022.2038363. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35172664.. , 2022.
- Kamara MTB, Richards VL, Somboonwit C, Park H, Seneadza NAH, Zhi Z, Jayaweera D, Thomas E, Cook R Self-reported hepatitis C(HCV) testing among people living with human immunodeficiency virus (PLWH) Heliyon. 2021 Aug 6;7(8):e07727. doi: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e07727. PMID: 34409188; PMCID: PMC8361055.. , 2021.
- Ibañez GE, Zhou Z, Algarin AB, Ayala DV, Spencer EC Somboonwit C Teo GM Cook R. Incarceration History and HIV Care Among Individuals Living with HIV in Florida, 2014-2018 AIDS Behav. 2021 May 6. doi: 10.1007/s10461-021-03250-8. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33959828. , 2021.
- Hernandez JM, Quarles R, Lakshmi S, Casanas B, Eatrides J, McCoy E, Somboonwit C Pancytopenia and Profound Neutropenia as a Sequela of Severe SARS-CoV-2 Infection (COVID-19) With Concern for Bone Marrow Involvement Open Forum Infect Disease. 8(2) , 2021.
- Fleming J, Berry SA, Moore RD, Nijhawan A, Somboonwit C, Cheever L, Gebo KA U.S. Hospitalization rates and reasons stratified by age among persons with HIV 2014-15 AIDS Care doi: 10.1080/09540121.2019.1698705. , 2019.
- Wang L, Krebs E, Min JE, Nijhawan A, Somboonwit C, Aberg J, Moore RD, Gebo K, Nosyk B Combined estimation of disease progression and retention on antiretroviral therapy among treated individuals with HIV in the USA: a modelling study Lancet HIV. 8: e531-e539, 2019.
- Fleming J, Aberg J, Somboonwit C, Moore RD, Gebo K Low Level Viremia and Virologic Failure in Persons with HIV Infection Treated with Antiretroviral Therapy AIDS. 33(13) : 2005-2012, 2019.
- Mannes ZL, Burrell LE, Ferguson EG, Zhou Z, Lu H, Somboonwit C, Cook RL, Ennis N. The association of therapeutic versus recreational marijuana use and antiretroviral adherence among adults living with HIV in Florida. Patient preference and adherence. 12: 1363-1372, 2018.
- Somboonwit C, Menezes LJ, Holt DA, Sinnott JT, Shapshak P. Current views and challenges on clinical cholera Bioinformation. 13(12) : 405-409, 2017.
- Shapshak P, Somboonwit C, Sinnott JT. Artificial intelligence and virology-quovadis Bioinformation. 13(12) : 410-411, 2017.
- Somboonwit C, Menezes LJ, Holt DA, Sinnott JT Shapshak Current views and challenges on clinical cholera Bioinformation. 13(12) : 405-409, 2017.
- Shapshak P, Somboonwit C, Cao S, Sinnott JT. Cholera host response gene networks: preliminary studies Bioinformation. 13(10) : 347-351, 2017.
- Cook RL, Zhou Z, Kelso-Chichetto NE, Janelle J, Morano JP, Somboonwit C, et. al. Alcohol consumption patterns and HIV viral suppression among persons receiving HIV care in Florida: an observational study Addict Sci Clin Pract. 12(1) : 22, 2017.
- Achhra AC, Mocroft A, Ross M, Ryom-Nielson L, Avihingsanon A, Bakowska E, Belloso W, Clarke A, Furrer H, Lucas GM, Ristola M, Rassool M, Ross J, Somboonwit C, Sharma S, Wyatt C Impact of early versus deferred antiretroviral therapy on estimated glomerular filtration rate in HIV-positive individuals in the START trial. International journal of antimicrobial agents. , 2017.
- Cameron MC, Katayama M, Patel NS, Shenefelt PD, Somboonwit C Chronic Tender Ulcers on the Calf and Both Forearms. Skinmed. 15(2) : 149-151, 2017.
- Berry SA, Fleishman JA, Yehia BR, Cheever LW, Hauck H, Korthuis PT, Mathews WC, Keruly J, Nijhawan AE, Agwu AL, Somboonwit C, Moore RD, Gebo KA. Healthcare Coverage for HIV Provider Visits Before and After Implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 63(3) : 387-95, 2016.
- Berry SE, Fleishman JA, Yehia BR, Cheever LW, Hauck H, Korthuis PT, Mathews WC, Keruly J, Nijhawan AE, Agwu AL, Somboonwit C, Moore RD, Gebo K. Healthcare Coverage for HIV Provider Visits Before and After Implementation of the Affordable Care Act Clin Inf Dis. , 2016.
- Achhra A, Mocroft A, Ross M, Ryom L, Lucas G, Furrer H, Neuhaus J Somboonwit C Kelly M Gatell J Wyatt . International Newtwork for Strategic Initiatives in Global HIV Trials (INSIGHT) START Study Group. Kidney Disease in Antiretroviral-naïve HIV-positive Adultys with High CD4 Counts: Prevalence and Predictors of Kidney Disease at Enrollment in the INSIGHT Strategic Timing of Intiretroviral Treatment (START) Trial. HIV Med. (16) : 55-63, 2016.
- Crowell TA, Gebo KA, Blankson JN, Korthuis PT, Yehia BR, Rutstein RM, Moore RD, Sharp V, Nijhawan AE, Mathews WC, Hanau LH, Corales RB, Beil R, Somboonwit C, Edelstein H, Allen SL, Berry SA. Hospitalization Rates and Reasons Among HIV Elite Controllers and Persons With Medically Controlled HIV Infection. The Journal of infectious diseases. 211(11) : 1692-702, 2015.
- Yehia BR, Stephens-Shields AJ, Fleishman JA, Berry SA, Agwu AL, Metlay JP, Moore RD, Christopher Mathews W, Nijhawan A, Rutstein R, Gaur AH, Gebo KA. The HIV Care Continuum: Changes over Time in Retention in Care and Viral Suppression. PloS one. 10(6) : e0129376, 2015.
- , Lundgren J, Babiker A, Gordin F, Emery S, Fätkenheuer G, Molina JM, Wood R, Neaton JD. Why START? Reflections that led to the conduct of this large long-term strategic HIV trial. HIV Med. (16) : 1-9, 2015.
- Achhra A, Mocroft A, Ross M, Ryom L, Lucas G, Furrer H, Neuhaus J, Somboonwit C, et. al. International Network for Strategic Initiatives in Global HIV Trials (INSIGHT) START Study Group: Kidney disease in antiretroviral-naïve HIV-positive adults with high CD4 counts: prevalence and predictors of kidney disease at enrolment in the INSIGHT Strategic Timing of Antiretroviral Treatement (START) trial HIV Med. 16(1) : 55-63, 2015.
- Somboonwit C, Sinnott JT, Shapshak P XMRV: Emerging Human Infection or False Alarm In Global Virology I (Ed. Shapshak P, Sinnott JT, Somboonwit C, Kuhn J), New York:Springer Verlag. : 561-570, 2015.
- Young LC, Roediger MP, Grandits G, Baker J, Somboonwit C, Williams I, Lundgren JD, Neaton JD, Soliman EZ. Relationship between inflammatory and coagulation biomarkers and cardiac autonomic function in HIV-infected individuals. Biomarkers in medicine. 8(9) : 1073-83, 2014.
- T Wills, M Friedrich, J Beal, C Somboonwit, S Mcintosh, A Bork, M Tinsley, A Cajina, P Belton, J Xavier, R Doshi, R Boyd and N Solomon. Implementing Hepatitis C Treatment Programs in Comprehensive HIV Clinics: The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS) Hepatitis C Treatment Expansion Initative (poster presentation) http://www.idweek.org. : presented at IDWeek; October 8-12, 2014; Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Yehia BR, Herati RS, Fleishman JA, Gallant JE, Agwu AL, Berry SA, Korthuis PT, Moore RD, Metlay JP, Gebo KA. Hepatitis C virus testing in adults living with HIV: a need for improved screening efforts. PloS one. 9(7) : e102766, 2014.
- Berry SA, Gebo KA, Rutstein RM, Althoff KN, Korthuis PT, Gaur AH, Spector SA, Warford R, Yehia BR, Agwu AL. Trends in hospitalizations among children and young adults with perinatally acquired HIV. The Pediatric infectious disease journal. 33(5) : 488-94, 2014.
- Agwu AL, Neptune A, Voss C, Yehia B, Rutstein R. CD4 counts of nonperinatally HIV-infected youth and young adults presenting for HIV care between 2002 and 2010. JAMA pediatrics. 168(4) : 381-3, 2014.
- Young LC, Roediger MP, Grandits G, Baker J, Somboonwit C, et al. Relationship between inflammatory and coagulation biomarkers and cardiac autonomic function in HIV-infected individuals Biomark Med. 8(9) : 1073-83, 2014.
- Zetterberg E, Neuhaus J, Baker JV, Somboonwit C, Llibre JM, Palfreeman A, Chini M, Lundgren JD; INSIGHT SMART Study Group. Platelet count kinetics following interruption of antiretroviral treatment. AIDS. 27(2) : 59-68, 2013.
- Bahner I, Somboonwit C, Pross S, Collins R, Saporta S. Teaching Science Through Biomedical Research in an Elective Curriculum Medical Science Educator. 3(22) : 143-146, 2012.
- National Leadership Academy in Public Health (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - 2020)
- Inaugural Class Scholar (IDSA Leadership Institute - 2019)
- Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (Nominee for USF Morsani College of Medicine - 2018)
- Mid-Career Woman in Academic Medicine Professional Development Scholar (AAMC - 2014)
- Outstanding Alumni Award, Faculty of Medicine (Srinakharinwirot University, Thailand - 2012)
- 25th Anniversary MEDSWU Honorable Award (Srinakharinwirot University, Thailand - 2010)
- Member (Gold Humanism Society, College of Medicine, University of South Florida - 2009)
- AOA (AOA Society - 2009)
- Best Doctors (Best Doctors - 2009)