David Vesely, MD PHD
Professor, College Of Medicine Internal Medicine
Professor, College Of Medicine Molecular Pharmacology & Physiology
College Of Medicine Internal Medicine
Chief of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Medicine, VA
Professor and Director of Cardiac Hormone Center, Medicine, Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology, University of South Florida
J.A. Haley VA Hospital
13000 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33612
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PHD, Physiology, University Of Arizona, 1972
- MD, Medicine, University Of Arizona, 1972
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Our research focuses on cardiac hormones also called atrial natiruetic peptides for the treatment of congestive heart failure, renal failure and cancer in animals and humans. The molecular mechanisms of these cardiac hormones in normal physiology and disease states is being investigated. Recently we have found that the moleucular targets in cancer cells are ERK 1/2 and MEK 1/2 and DNA synthesis within the nucleus. These cardiac hormones decrease the phosphorylation of ERK 1/2 and MEK 1/2 by 97 % and completely block cancer promoting agents that simulate ERK1/2 such as epidermal growth factor (EGF).
- These cardiac hormones go directly into the nucleus of the cancer cells where they are strong inhibitors of DNA synthesis.
- Academy of Inventors (Member, 2009 - Present)
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (Fellow (FACE), 1995 - Present)
- American College of Physicians (Fellow (FACP), 1995 - Present)
- Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (Member, 1974 - Present)
- Endocrine Society (Member, 1974 - Present)
- Vesely, DL Seldin and Giebisch’s The Kidney: Physiology and Pathophysiology, 5th edition. Robert J. Alpern, Orson W. Moe, and Michael Caplan, eds. Seldin and Giebisch’s The Kidney. 5th Edition: 1237-1277, 2013.
- Skelton, WP IV.Skelton, M.Vesely DL. Cardiac hormones are potent inhibitors of secreted frizzled‑related protein‑3 in human cancer cells Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine. 5: 475-478, 2013.
- Lane, ML. Santana, O.Frost, CD.Nguyen J.Guerrero, J.Skelton, WP IV.Skelton M.Vesely, DL Cardiac hormones are c-Jun-N-terminal Kinase 2-Inhibiting peptides Anticancer Research. 32: 721-726, 2012.
- Lane, ML.Frost, CD.Nguyen, JP.Skelton, WP IV.Skelton, M.Vesely, DL. Potent Selective Inhibition of STAT3 versus STAT1 by cardiac hormones Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 371: 209-215, 2012.
- Vesely, DL New anticancer agents: Hormones made within the heart (Review) Anticancer Research. 32: 2515-2521, 2012.
- Nguyen, JP. Frost, CD.Lane, ML.Skelton, WP IV.Skelton, M.Vesely, DL. Novel dual inhibitors of vascular endothelial growth factor and VEGFR2 receptor European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 42: 1061-1067, 2012.
- Pi, GE.Skelton, WP IV.Vesely, DL. Four cardiac hormones cause cytotoxicity of human cancer cells but not of healthy cells Cancer Therapy. 8: 44-50, 2011.
- Vesely DL. Cardiac hormones target the Ras-MEK 1/2-ERK 1/2 kinase cancer signaling pathways Cancers. 3: 1182-1194, 2011.
- Skelton, WP IV.Pi, GE.Vesely, DL. Four cardiac hormones cause death of human cancer cells but not of healthy cells Anticancer research. 31: 395-402, 2011.
- Vesely DL. Pancreatic cancer: New treatments and their mechanism(s) of action Trends in Cancer Research. 7: 39-48, 2011.
- Vesely, DL. Metabolic targets of cardiac hormones' therapeutic anti-cancer effects. Current pharmaceutical design. 16(9) : 1159-66, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20030620
- Sun, Y.Eichelbaum, EJ.Lenz, A.Wang, H.Vesely, DL. Epidermal growth factor's activation of Ras is inhibited by four cardiac hormones. European journal of clinical investigation. 40(5) : 408-13, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20353436
- Lenz, A.Sun, Y.Eichelbaum, EJ.Skelton, WP.Pi, G.Vesely, DL. Twice-weekly intravenous treatment of pancreatic cancer with atrial natriuretic peptide and vessel dilator. In vivo (Athens, Greece). 24(2) : 125-130, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20363982
- Skelton, WP.Pi, G.Lenz, A.Sun, Y.Vesely, DL. Cardiac hormones inhibit proliferation of pancreatic cancer but not normal cells. European journal of clinical investigation. 40(8) : 706-12, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20546014
- Sun Y et al. Epidermal growth factor's activation of Ras is inhibited by four cardiac hormones. Eur.J. Clin.Invest.. 40: 408-413, 2010.
- Skelton WPIV et all. Cardiac hormones inhibit the proliferation of pancreatic cancer but not normal cells. Eu. J. Clincal Investigation.. 40: 706-712, 2010.
- Lenz, A.Bennett, M.Skelton, WP.Vesely, DL. Vessel dilator and C-type natriuretic peptide enhance the proliferation of human osteoblasts. Pediatric research. 68(5) : 405-8, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20613683
- Lenz A et al Vessel dilator and C-type natriuretic peptide enhance the proliferation of human osteoblasts. Pediatric Research. 68: 405-408, 2010.
- Vesely, DL. Cardiac and renal hormones: anticancer effects in vitro and in vivo. Journal of investigative medicine : the official publication of the American Federation for Clinical Research. 57(1) : 22-8, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19092678
- Sun, Y.Eichelbaum, EJ.Skelton, WP.Lenz, A.Wang, H.Vesely, DL. Vessel dilator and kaliuretic peptide inhibit Ras in human prostate cancer cells. Anticancer research. 29(4) : 971-5, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19414334
- Sun, Y.Eichelbaum, EJ.Lenz, A.Skelton, WP.Wang, H.Vesely, DL. Atrial natriuretic peptide and long-acting natriuretic peptide inhibit ras in human prostate cancer cells. Anticancer research. 29(6) : 1889-93, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19528444
- Sun, Y.Eichelbaum, EJ.Wang, H.Vesely, DL. Atrial natriuretic peptide and long acting natriuretic peptide inhibit MEK 1/2 activation in human prostate cancer cells. Anticancer research. 27(6B) : 3813-8, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18225537
- Vesely, DL.Vesely, BA.Eichelbaum, EJ.Sun, Y.Alli, AA.Gower, WR. Four cardiac hormones eliminate up to two-thirds of human breast cancers in athymic mice. In vivo (Athens, Greece). 21(6) : 973-8, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18210743
- Lawernce M. Fishman Visiting Professor (U. of Miami - 2011)
- Creighton University's Distinguished Lecutue (Creighton University - 2010)
- Wright Visiting Professorship (Wictia State University - 2010)
- Distinguished Scientist Award (Ligand Society - 2008)
- Richard A. Kern Award Lecture (Assoc of Military Surgeons of the United States - 2008)
- Service to America Career Achievement Medal (Partnership for Public Service - 2007)