Welcome to the USF Health
Sunshine Education & Research Center
Education and Research Centers are funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). The purpose of the Sunshine Education and Research Center is to promote graduate training and research related to occupational health and safety. Occupational Health and Safety Professionals are a necessary part of programs designed to protect the health and well-being of working men and women, a fundamental purpose of the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Training is provided in Occupational Medicine, Occupational Health Nursing, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, Occupational Health Psychology, Continuing Education and Hazardous Substances. In addition, Continuing Education Programs are provided for practicing professionals.
The Sunshine Education and Research Center is dedicated to training professionals on how to treat and prevent occupational illnesses, why illness occur in the workplace, and how to make the workplace a safer environment. An Interdisciplinary approach is taken when training these graduate students. Occupational health core courses are taken by Occupational Medicine, Occupational Health Nursing, Occupational Safety, and Industrial Hygiene students. These students work on research and class projects together and have a study room in which they can discuss their educational coursework. The distinguishing features of the University of South Florida Sunshine ERC are:
- Integrated research programs emphasizing NIOSH's National Occupational Research Agenda (NORA);
- Interdisciplinary activities among a diverse group of professionals with different educational backgrounds and interests;
- The use of innovative technology, such as distance learning;
- Committed programs devoted to addressing the under-representation of minorities in the area of occupational health and safety;
- Well-established plans to address the crucial state and regional occupational health and safety needs and professional resource deficiencies;
- Very strong institutional support; and
- Qualified, senior faculty to direct the programs.
It is our goal that the training and the research conducted at the Sunshine ERC, will help to make the workplace environment a safer place, with close attention paid to employee safety, well-being and health.
USF College of Public Health is the parent organization for the Sunshine Education and Research Center. The department home for the Sunshine Education and Research Center is Environmental and Occupational Health.