Adam B. Lewin, PhD, ABPP
Assistant Professor, College Of Medicine Pediatrics
Assistant Professor, College Of Medicine Psychiatry And Behavioral Neurosciences
Professor, Non Usf Health
College Of Medicine Pediatrics
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics, University of South Florida
880 6th St. South
Suite 460 Box 7523
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
View My C.V.
- Fellowship, Psychobiology and Behavioral Neuroscience, UCLA, 2009
- PhD, Psychology, University Of Florida, 2007
- Ph.D., Clinical & Health Psychology, University of Florida, 2007
- Internship, Clinical Psychology, UCLA, 2007
- MS, Clinical & Health Psychology, University of Florida, 2003
- BS, Psychology, University of Florida, 1998
"My goal is to provide collaborative, multidisciplinary training in clinical research and evidence-based practice (e.g., Cognitive Behavioral Therapy [CBT]) to undergraduate & graduate students, residents and postdocs/fellows."
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- My research interests include the following populations: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Anxiety Disorders, Tic Disorders, Trichotillomania, and related disorders.
- Broadly my focus includes treatment outcome research, dissemination of evidence-based intervention, and refinement of assessment/treatment to maximize accessibility and portability of services. Efforts include alternative service delivery (e.g., telehealth), stepped care based approaches, treatment augmentation, and refinement for new populations (e.g., preschoolers).
- As Director of Postdoctoral and Externship Training within Pediatric Neuropsychiatry, I prioritize trainee/student research.
- American Psychological Association (Professional Member, 2014 - Present)
- APA Division 53 Society for Child and Adolescent Psychology (Member, 2013 - Present)
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America (Professional Member, 2012 - Present)
- Tourette Syndrome Association (Professional Member, 2012 - Present)
- American Board of Professional Psychology (Member, Examiner, 2011 - Present)
- International OCD Foundation (Professional Member, 2009 - Present)
- Lewin, AB.Piacentini, J.De Nadai, AS.Jones, AM.Peris, TS.Geffken, GR.Geller, DA.Nadeau, JM.Murphy, TK.Storch, EA. Defining Clinical Severity in Pediatric Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Psychological assessment. , 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24320764
- Lewin, AB.Larson, MJ.Park, JM.McGuire, JF.Murphy, TK.Storch, EA. Neuropsychological functioning in youth with obsessive compulsive disorder: An examination of executive function and memory impairment. Psychiatry research. , 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24508366
- Lewin, AB Tractable impediments to cognitive behavioral therapy for pediatric obsessive compulsive disorder Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder and Its Spectrum: A Lifespan Approach. : 81-96, 2014.
- Murphy, TK.Lewin, AB.Storch, EA.Stock, S. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with tic disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 52(12) : 1341-59, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24290467
- Storch, EA.Arnold, EB.Lewin, AB.Nadeau, JM.Jones, AM.De Nadai, AS.Jane Mutch, P.Selles, RR.Ung, D.Murphy, TK. The effect of cognitive-behavioral therapy versus treatment as usual for anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorders: a randomized, controlled trial. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 52(2) : 132-142.e2, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23357440
- Lewin, AB, Menzel, J. Strober, M. Assessment and treatment of comorbid anorexia nervosa and obsessive compulsive disorder Handbook of Treating Variants and Complications in Anxiety Disorders. : 337-348, 2013.
- Lewin, AB.Peris, TS.De Nadai, AS.McCracken, JT.Piacentini, J. Agreement between therapists, parents, patients, and independent evaluators on clinical improvement in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology. 80(6) : 1103-7, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22963592
- Murphy, TK.Storch, EA.Lewin, AB.Edge, PJ.Goodman, WK. Clinical factors associated with pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections. The Journal of pediatrics. 160(2) : 314-9, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21868033
- Lewin, AB.Murphy, TK.Storch, EA.Conelea, CA.Woods, DW.Scahill, LD.Compton, SN.Zinner, SH.Budman, CL.Walkup, JT. A phenomenological investigation of women with Tourette or other chronic tic disorders. Comprehensive psychiatry. 53(5) : 525-34, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21867997
- Lewin, AB.Storch, EA.Conelea, CA.Woods, DW.Zinner, SH.Budman, CL.Scahill, LD.Compton, SN.Walkup, JT.Murphy, TK. The roles of anxiety and depression in connecting tic severity and functional impairment. Journal of anxiety disorders. 25(2) : 164-8, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20889290
- Lewin, AB.Storch, EA.Murphy, TK. Pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with Streptococcus in identical siblings. Journal of child and adolescent psychopharmacology. 21(2) : 177-82, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21486169
- Lewin, AB.Peris, TS.Lindsey Bergman, R.McCracken, JT.Piacentini, J. The role of treatment expectancy in youth receiving exposure-based CBT for obsessive compulsive disorder. Behaviour research and therapy. 49(9) : 536-43, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21723534
- Lewin, AB.Storch, EA.Mutch, PJ.Murphy, TK. Neurocognitive functioning in youth with pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcus. The Journal of neuropsychiatry and clinical neurosciences. 23(4) : 391-8, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22231309
- Lewin, AB.De Nadai, AS.Park, J.Goodman, WK.Murphy, TK.Storch, EA. Refining clinical judgment of treatment outcome in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychiatry research. 185(3) : 394-401, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20846725
- Lewin, AB Parent Training for childhood anxiety Handbook of Child and Adolescent Anxiety Disorders. : 405-418, 2011.
- Lewin, AB.Chang, S.McCracken, J.McQueen, M.Piacentini, J. Comparison of clinical features among youth with tic disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and both conditions. Psychiatry research. 178(2) : 317-22, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20488548
- Lewin, AB.Piacentini, J. Evidence-Based Assessment of Child Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Recommendations for Clinical Practice and Treatment Research. Child & youth care forum. 39(2) : 73-89, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20376181
- Lewin, AB.Storch, EA.Williams, LB.Duke, DC.Silverstein, JH.Geffken, GR. Brief report: normative data on a structured interview for diabetes adherence in childhood. Journal of pediatric psychology. 35(2) : 177-82, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19589854
- Lewin, AB.Bergman, RL.Peris, TS.Chang, S.McCracken, JT.Piacentini, J. Correlates of insight among youth with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Journal of child psychology and psychiatry. 51(5) : 603-11, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20039994
- Storch, EA.Lewin, AB.Farrell, L.Aldea, MA.Reid, J.Geffken, GR.Murphy, TK. Does cognitive-behavioral therapy response among adults with obsessive-compulsive disorder differ as a function of certain comorbidities? Journal of anxiety disorders. 24(6) : 547-52, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20399603
- Lewin, AB.Caporino, N.Murphy, TK.Geffken, GR.Storch, EA. Understudied clinical dimensions in pediatric obsessive compulsive disorder. Child psychiatry and human development. 41(6) : 675-91, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20644997
- Langley, AK.Lewin, AB.Bergman, RL.Lee, JC.Piacentini, J. Correlates of comorbid anxiety and externalizing disorders in childhood obsessive compulsive disorder. European child & adolescent psychiatry. 19(8) : 637-45, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20349255
- Storch, EA.Murphy, TK.Goodman, WK.Geffken, GR.Lewin, AB.Henin, A.Micco, JA.Sprich, S.Wilhelm, S.Bengtson, M.Geller, DA. A preliminary study of D-cycloserine augmentation of cognitive-behavioral therapy in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder. Biological psychiatry. 68(11) : 1073-6, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20817153
- Lewin, AB.Piacentini, J.Flessner, CA.Woods, DW.Franklin, ME.Keuthen, NJ.Moore, P.Khanna, M.March, JS.Stein, DJ. Depression, anxiety, and functional impairment in children with trichotillomania. Depression and anxiety. 26(6) : 521-7, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19016486
- Lewin, AB.LaGreca, AM.Geffken, GR.Williams, LB.Duke, DC.Storch, EA.Silverstein, JH. Validity and reliability of an adolescent and parent rating scale of type 1 diabetes adherence behaviors: the Self-Care Inventory (SCI). Journal of pediatric psychology. 34(9) : 999-1007, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19423660
- Lewin, AB. Piacentini, J. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in Children Kaplan & Sadock’s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th Edition. : 3671-3678, 2009.
- Lewin, AB.Heidgerken, AD.Geffken, GR.Williams, LB.Storch, EA.Gelfand, KM.Silverstein, JH. The relation between family factors and metabolic control: the role of diabetes adherence. Journal of pediatric psychology. 31(2) : 174-83, 2006. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16467317
- Lewin, AB.Storch, EA.Geffken, GR.Goodman, WK.Murphy, TK. A neuropsychiatric review of pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder: etiology and efficacious treatments. Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment. 2(1) : 21-31, 2006. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19412443
- Lewin, AB.Storch, EA.Adkins, J.Murphy, TK.Geffken, GR. Current directions in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder. Pediatric annals. 34(2) : 128-34, 2005. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15768689
- Postdoctoral Fellow (Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles 2007 - 2009)
- Psychology Resident (Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California Los Angeles 2006 - 2007)
- Graduate Assistant (Clinical and Health Psychology, University of Florida 2001 - 2006)
- Clinical Specialist (Behavioral Psychology, Kennedy Krieger Institute 1999 - 2001)
- Career Development Leadership Program (ADAA - 2014)
- Award of Recognition for Contributions to AACAP and the Field of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry - 2013)
- Child Intervention, Prevention & Services (CHIPS) Fellowship (National Institute of Mental Health - 2012)
- Board Certification, Child & Adolescent (American Board of Professional Psychology - 2011)
- Senior Researcher Award (American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry - 2010)
- Young Investigator Award (NARSAD - Brain & Behavior Research Foundation - 2008)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Awardee (Friends of the UCLA Semel Institute - 2008)
- Routh Student Research Award Honorable Mention (Society for Pediatric Psychology - 2005)
- Research Poster Award Competition Winner (American Psychological Association Division 54 - 2004)