Dominic D'Agostino, PhD
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd. MDC 8
, FL 33612
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone: (813) 396-9628
View My C.V.
- PHD, Physiology, Neuroscience, University Of Medicine And Dentistry Of New Jersey, 2004
- BS, Biological Sciences, Nutrition Science, Rutgers University, 1998
"We focus on metabolic-based research outcomes and mechanisms that advance science and improve human health through treatment and prevention of disease."
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Metabolic Regulation and Disorders
- Neurodegenerative Disease
- Oxygen Toxicity
- The primary focus of our laboratory is developing and testing metabolic therapies, including ketogenic diets, ketone esters, ketone supplements, intermittent fasting protocols and metabolic-based drugs. These metabolic therapies are formulated and tested to enhance neurological and physiological resilience under environmental extremes associated with changes in oxygen and pressure. Our research also explores the use of these metabolic therapies for a broad range of disorders linked pathophysiologically to metabolic dysregulation, including seizures, neurological disorders, wound healing, muscle wasting and cancer. Our laboratory uses in vivo and in vitro techniques to understand the physiological, cellular and molecular mechanism of metabolic therapies. This research is supported by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), Department of Defense (DoD), private organizations and foundations.
- American Association for Cancer Research (Assistant Professor, 2014 - Present)
- Microscopy and Microanalysis (Assistant Professor, 2010 - Present)
- Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society (Assistant Professor, 2005 - Present)
- Aerospace Medicine (Assistant Professor, 2005 - Present)
- Society for Neuroscience (Assistant Professor, 2004 - Present)
- American Physiology Society (Assistant Professor, 1999 - Present)
- Boros LG, D'Agostino DP, Katz HE, Roth JP, Meuillet EJ, & Somlyai G. Submolecular regulation of cell transformation by deuterium depleting water exchange reactions in the tricarboxylic acid substrate cycle. Medical Hypotheses. 87: 69-74, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26826644
- Viggiano A, Pilla R, Arnold P, Monda M, D'Agostino D, Zeppa P, & Coppola G. Different calorie restriction treatments have similar anti-seizure efficacy. Seizure. 35: 45-9, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26794009
- Poff AM, Ward N, Seyfried TN, Arnold P, & D'Agostino DP. Non-Toxic Metabolic Management of Metastatic Cancer in VM Mice: Novel Combination of Ketogenic Diet, Ketone Supplementation, and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. PLoS One. 10(6) : e0127407, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26061868
- Youm YH, Nguyen KY, Grant RW, Goldberg EL, Bodogai M, Kim D, D'Agostino D, Planavsky N, Lupfer C, Kanneganti TD, Kang S, Horvath TL, Fahmy TM, Crawford PA, Biragyn A, Alnemri E, & Dixit VD. The ketone metabolite β-hydroxybutyrate blocks NLRP3 inflammasome-mediated inflammatory disease. Nature Medicine. , 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25686106
- Seyfried TN, Flores R, Poff AM, D'Agostino DP, Mukherjee P. Metabolic therapy: a new paradigm for managing malignant brain cancer. Cancer letters. 356(2 Pt A) : 289-300, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25069036
- Poff A Ward N Seyfried T Arnold P & D’Agostino DP. A novel non-toxic metabolic
therapy – ketogenic diet, ketone supplementation, and hyperbaric oxygen – elicit potent
anti-cancer effects in vitro and in vivo. PLoS One. 10(6) : e0127407, 2015.
- Viggiano A, Pilla R, Arnold P, Monda M, D'Agostino D, & Coppola G. Anticonvulsant properties of an oral ketone ester in a pentylenetetrazole-model of seizure. Brain Research. 1618: 50-4, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26026798
- Ari C, Poff AM, Held HE, Landon CS, Goldhagen CR, Mavromates N, & D'Agostino DP. Metabolic Therapy with Deanna Protocol Supplementation Delays Disease Progression and Extends Survival in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Mouse Model. PLoS One. 9(7) : e103526, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25061944
- Seyfried TN, Flores RE, Poff AM, D'Agostino DP. Cancer as a metabolic disease: implications for novel therapeutics. Carcinogenesis. 35(3) : 515-27, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24343361
- Seyfried TN Marsh J Mukherjee P Zuccoli G & D’Agostino DP. Could Metabolic
Therapy Become a Viable Alternative to the Standard of Care for Managing
Glioblastoma? Oncology & Hematology Review. 10(1) : 13-20, 2014.
- Poff AM, Ari C, Arnold P, Seyfried TN, & D'Agostino DP. Ketone supplementation decreases tumor cell viability and prolongs survival of mice with metastatic cancer. International Journal of Cancer. Journal International du Cancer. 135(7) : 1711-20, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24615175
- Brownlow ML., Benner L., Benner L., Joly-Amando A., Azam S., D’Agostino DP., Gordon MN., & Morgan D. Calorie restriction, but not ketogenic diet, improves cognition
in models of Alzheimer's pathology. Alzheimers’s and Dementia. 9(4) : P160, 2013.
- Brownlow ML, Benner L, D'Agostino D, Gordon MN, & Morgan D. Ketogenic diet improves motor performance but not cognition in two mouse models of Alzheimer's pathology. PLoS One. 8(9) : e75713, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24069439
- Poff AM, Ari C, Seyfried TN, & D'Agostino DP. The ketogenic diet and hyperbaric oxygen therapy prolong survival in mice with systemic metastatic cancer. PLoS One. 8(6) : e65522, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23755243
- D'Agostino DP, Pilla R, Held HE, Landon CS, Puchowicz M, Brunengraber H, Ari C, Arnold P, & Dean JB. Therapeutic ketosis with ketone ester delays central nervous system oxygen toxicity seizures in rats. American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 304(10) : R829-36, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23552496
- Paoli A, Grimaldi K, D'Agostino D, Cenci L, Moro T, Bianco A, & Palma A. Ketogenic diet does not affect strength performance in elite artistic gymnasts. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 9(1) : 34, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22835211
- D'Agostino DP, McNally HA, & Dean JB. Development and testing of hyperbaric atomic force microscopy (AFM) and fluorescence microscopy for biological applications. Journal of Microscopy. 246(2) : 129-42, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22455392
- McNally H; D'Agostino DP. Hyperbaric Atomic Force Microscopy
System Performance and Applications Imaging and Microscopy. 13(1) : 41-43, 2011.
- D'Agostino DP, Colomb DG, Dean JB. Effects of hyperbaric gases on membrane nanostructure and function in neurons. Journal of applied physiology. 106(3) : 996-1003, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18818382
- D'Agostino D, Mazza E, Neubauer JA. Heme oxygenase is necessary for the excitatory response of cultured neonatal rat rostral ventrolateral medulla neurons to hypoxia. American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology. 296(1) : R102-18, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18971354
- D'Agostino DP, Olson JE, Dean JB. Acute hyperoxia increases lipid peroxidation and induces plasma membrane blebbing in human U87 glioblastoma cells. Neuroscience. 159(3) : 1011-22, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19356685
- D'Agostino DP, Putnam RW, Dean JB. Superoxide (*O2- ) production in CA1 neurons of rat hippocampal slices exposed to graded levels of oxygen. Journal of neurophysiology. 98(2) : 1030-41, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17553943