The Center is located at the University of South Florida new Morsani Center for Advanced Health Care and offers a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to the diagnosis and treatment of swallowing disorders. Our health care team is dedicated to providing the most accurate diagnosis, medical advice and/or treatment for swallowing problems. Our Center physician consultants are gastroenterologists who specialize in disorders of swallowing and esophageal diseases (esophagology). Our professional staff also includes a full-time Speech Pathologist who specializes in evaluation and treatment of oropharyngeal swallowing disorders. She is also a Board Recognized Specialist in Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders.
Our Swallowing Center is oriented to manage difficult, complex or unusual swallowing disorders on a consultative basis such as: achalasia, eosinophilic esophagitis, Barrett's esophagus, complicated GERD with chest pain, ENT or lung problems, complex esophageal strictures, esophageal cancer, strokes and other muscle and nerve disorders that interfere with normal swallowing as well as problems after Nissen fundiplications and Heller myotomy. We have more experience with achalasia and pneumatic dilation than any Center in the southeast USA. We have active research protocols on many of these diseases especially achalasia and eosinophilic esophagitis.
Special diagnostic tests and procedures:
- dilation of complicated esophageal strictures with bougies and balloons
- pneumatic dilation for achalasia – largest volume in Florida
- esophageal ph testing
• Bravo 48 hr capsule
• transnasal impedance-pH catheter for non-acid reflux
- high resolution manometry
- modified barium swallow with speech pathologist with barium fluoroscopy to assess swallowing function
- fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing
- Esophageal stents
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Nissen and Toupet anti-reflex procedures
- LINX anti-reflux operation
- Laparoscopic Heller myotomy and Dor fundoplication for achalasia
- New POEM (peroral endoscopic myotomy) for achalasia
- Transhiatal esophagectomy for achalasia
Related consultative services are also available as needed for patients with swallowing disorders by:
- otolaryngology (ear, nose & throat)
- swallowing rehabilitation
For patients who may need assistance with long-distance travel to our Center, please refer to the links section in the navigation menu.