MS Application Procedures
Admission Requirements - click here
Application Deadlines - click here
Domestic deadline for Fall 2017 extended to July 1st
FAQ - click here
Important: You will need to submit TWO separate applications
Step 1: Complete the online VZ Graduate Application.
Step 2: Submit a supplemental application to the Morsani College of Medicine (see details below).
In an effort to be fair to all our applicants, our admissions committee will not review any applicant without a complete application or inform a prospective applicant if they are competitive. All applications are holistically reviewed by the admissions committee. If you do not meet the suggested minimum admission criteria, you can still apply and your application will be reviewed. This policy is to ensure equality and objectivity in our admissions process.
We are now accepting applications for Fall 2017
Primary Application Package
- Graduate Application for Admissions
- For the Pre-Professional program, select "MS in Medical Sciences” (no concentration).
- If you want a to pursue a concentration, please select ‘Medical Science” plus your first choice concentration
- DO NOT fill out multiple online applications for the Medical Sciences or send in multiple applications for different concentrations! If you need to change the concentration or want your application reviewed for another concentration, please contact the department prior to a decision being made.
- The MSMS in Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences (IMS) program has a different application procedure. Please see their website for instructions: http://health.usf.edu/medicine/mdprogram/diversity/ims.htm
- Application Fee ($30)
- GRE School Code: 5828
- If you are submitting MCAT or DAT scores, please view Secondary Application Requirements and Checklist for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: Do NOT submit Supplemental Application Credentials (official transcripts, essay, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc) to the online graduate admissions application. These documents must be sent to the Graduate Affairs Office, NOT admissions. Failure to do this could result in a 3-4 week delay.
Questions about the Graduate Admissions Application, or Residency Qualifications, please call Graduate Admissions at 813-974-8800.
Secondary Application Medical Sciences (SAMS)
All of the following items including test scores and transcripts must be submitted in one package by June 1st.
- Official Transcripts in sealed envelope
- Submit all transcripts from all schools attended
- If you have a graduate degree, or have taken classes as a post-baccalaureate student, please submit those transcripts as well.
- USF students and alumni are not required to send official transcripts.
- Typed Graduate Program Application
- Completed Science GPA Calculator
- We require you to include all sections (I and II) of Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physics. Please do not include lab or math courses in the Science GPA Calculator. You may also include courses in anatomy, biochemistry, biophysics, biotechnology, botany, cell biology, ecology, entomology, genetics, histology, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, physiology, physical chemistry, molecules and cells, astronomy, physics, and thermodynamics.
- Repeated courses: Unless you received “grade forgiveness” on your transcripts for a repeated course, include all attempts.
- Personal Statement (1-2 pages) describing personal interests and goals
- Why you want attend USF’s graduate master’s programs and your future professional goals.
- Outline academic career
- Employment (location/dates)
- 2 Letters of Recommendations
(any combination of letters or evaluation forms)
- Evaluation forms are not required if letters are available
- Evaluation forms may be used in lieu of letters
- Recommendations should come from faculty or other professional familiar with applicant's academic performance or professional potential
- Letters of recommendation through a committee evaluation or an agency (i.e. Interfolio) may be used in lieu of evaluation forms
- Previous letters intended for professional schools will be accepted
- This office is not a part of USF medical school admissions and does not have access to previously submitted letters
- We prefer that letters are sent within your package to ensure your package arrives complete instead of in pieces. However, if your recommenders do not want to hand over their letters, then letters may be submitted separately to our physical address below or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your U NUMBER should be included on letters sent separately so that we can match your letter to your application!
- GRE, DAT OR MCAT Test Scores
- Official GRE (General Test) scores should be sent through ETS to Graduate Admissions (school code: 5828). There is no department code. Send an unofficial copy of your test scores from ETS in your secondary application package.
- MCAT scores should be printed from the AAMC THx Report System and included in your secondary application package. We will verify your scores with the AAMC using your AAMC ID and Verification Code.
- Request that an official copy of the DAT scores be sent to College of Medicine (see address below). If you do not have an official copy of your DAT scores, please include an unofficial copy of your DAT scores in your secondary application package.
- International Applicants must submit additional information
- Course-by-Course TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION to include GPA
(International Applicants Only)
- IELTS or TOEFL Test Scores
(International Students Only)
- Course-by-Course TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION to include GPA
Please submit all the above documentation in one package to:
USF Morsani College of Medicine
Graduate Affairs-MS Admissions
12901 Bruce B. Downs, MDC 40
Tampa, FL 33612
When can I submit my secondary application?
You do not need to wait for our office to contact you after completing a primary application. Once you have completed your primary application, you can immediately send in your secondary application.
How will I know when my application is complete? Our staff will send an e-mail once your application is complete. Due to the HIGH VOLUME of applications that need to be processed, please do not request status updates on your application if your application is complete. If you have cause for concern that your application may be incomplete, please e-mail email@example.com and include your U number and the program to which you applied. You can update your application with new documents at any point in time prior to a decision being made.
How do I find my U number?
Once you complete a primary application, your U number will be e-mailed to you. If you are unable to locate your U number, you can also use this page to lookup your U number: https://netid.usf.edu/tools/lookup_usfid/public/
Thank you for your interest in our programs!
Students applying to the following concentrations: IMS, Metabolic & Nutritional Medicine, or Athletic Training, please consult with the concentration’s website for specific application procedure information.