To Our Prospective Students
Thank you for your interest in the University of South Florida's School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences and for taking some time to visit our Website! As an integral part of the USF Morsani College of Medicine and USF Health system, the School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences offers you top-notch classroom and clinical experiences in your entry-level preparation as a physical therapy practitioner.
Our innovative, integrated, interprofessional Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) curriculum, which places physical therapy students alongside medical students in foundational basic and clinical science courses, is one of the many reasons students are choosing to come to Tampa for their professional education.
Today, qualified students aspiring to careers as physical therapists have many choices as to where they may attend school. As you review the information on our Web site, please note the following strengths of the USF School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences. They set us apart.
- A distinctive School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences that is part of the Morsani College of Medicine, part of the vibrant USF Health organization
- Three-year comprehensive curriculum
- Key "Foundations of Doctoring" courses during Year 1 with lectures delivered via Video Streaming and archived for student review
- Opportunities for international travel as part of a USF Health interprofessional team
- Opportunities for mentored research experiences
- Opportunities for pursuing electives in Years 2 and 3
- Opportunities for participation in pro bono clinical outreach beginning in year 1.
- A modern environment with state-of-the-art classrooms and teaching laboratories.
- Instruction is conducted in a wireless environment through a variety of adult learner models
- Student use of laptop computers and PDA's to access didactic course, clinical experience and reference materials in electronic "real-time"
- A comfortable student lounge and spacious locker rooms
- Availability of additional study rooms for small group gatherings, large conference rooms for group presentations, and a School library for impromptu use
- Readily accessible faculty and administrative offices
- Co-location of the USF Physical Therapy Center for clinical experiences
- An exceptional pass rate on the National Physical Therapy Examination, the examination required to practice as a physical therapist.
- Starting with the charter class of 2001, USF School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences graduates have consistently scored at or above state and national averages on the NPTE.
A professional education is built on more than bricks and mortar. The School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences boasts an impressive and broadly experienced cadre of faculty who are engaged in teaching as well as scholarly and creative activities contributing to our discipline's body of knowledge. As part of USF Health, our Doctor of Physical Therapy students receive instruction from physicians, nurses, pharmacists, public health professionals and basic science experts. Teaching and learning together form the basis for future successful collaborative practice.
As the first public institution in the state of Florida to receive authority to award the Doctor of Physical Therapy degree, we invite you to consider our curriculum, our facilities, our faculty, and our location when you make this important choice. Sincerely,
William S. Quillen, PT, DPT, PhD, FACSM
Associate Dean Professor and Director
School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences
USF Morsani College of Medicine