USF AHEC Centers
This USF Health-wide, interdisciplinary program enables USF Health students in Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, Physical Therapy and Pharmacy to participate in meaningful, rewarding and fun health-related community service activities together. The USF Health Service Corps is sponsored by the USF Area Health Education Center and has its own Coordinator (Mrs. Ellen Kent, MPH, CPH) who assists the USF Health students in planning, implementing and evaluating service learning activities.
The USF Health Service Corps is designed primarily for USF Health students in the CON, COPH, COM, DPT and COP programs. For some non-clinical events, there will be opportunities for USF undergraduate pre-health professional students to become involved.
Both short- and long-term service events and projects are offered throughout the year in the greater Tampa area as well as in nearby rural areas. Students can learn more about these specific opportunities at the Events and Projects webpage. Students are also encouraged to check out the Photo Gallery and Annual Reports and Service Corps Powerpoint websites to gain a better 'feel' for the many opportunities available through the Service Corps!
What are the benefits of participating in the USF Health Service Corps?
Students who become involved in the USF Health Service Corps can:
- Relax, have fun and make new friends
- Gain great work experience through service
- Meet and network with future employers
- Earn recommendations for future jobs
- Learn about new career opportunities
- Mentor college undergraduates and high school students
- Build an impressive resume
- Make a positive difference in the community!
How can I get involved?
- Select an event/project of interest to you from the Summer 2015 Service Corps Opportunities website for the most up to date, comprehensive listing of events and projects, which are arranged by categories. You can also click on the Service Corps Calendar to view upcoming events in chronological order.
- Then, a few days before each service event that you have signed up for, you will receive an email with details regarding what to expect, what to wear, what to bring and of course, directions! Please remember, that if you sign up for a service event, we are depending on you to come to the event and to also act in a professional manner. We appreciate your consideration in this matter.
- Participate! Have fun! Thank you!
How can I record my involvement in USF Health Service Corps events and projects?
You can download the Service log form and save it to your own computer. You can record your hours and provide a detailed description of each service project on this form. This log enables you to document all of your service hours throughout the year .
What are the Service Corps' specific policies and procedures ?
This document: USF Health Service Corps Health Fair Policies and Procedures and Advisory Committee provides details on both: (a) policies and procedures related to health fairs and screening events and (b) the Service Corps Student Advisory Committee.
How can I find out more information?
Please feel free to contact Ellen Kent, MPH, CPH, Coordinator for the USF Health Service Corps, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-974-6622 or room 1058 of the USF Health Shared Student Services Center, the WELL, if you are:
A USF Health student or pre-health professional student and
would like to obtain further information about the USF Health Service Corps,
are interested in serving on the USF Health Service Corps Advisory Committee, and/or
have an idea for a service project and wish to open up this event to student groups throughout the USF Health.
- A faculty member and you are looking for service projects for your students to be engaged in as part of a regular course.
- A community member and you are looking for students to help with a service project at your organization.
Again, please feel free to contact Ellen Kent, MPH, CPH, Coordinator for USF Health Service Corps, at email@example.com with your suggestions and questions about community service at USF Health and she will be very happy to help you - Thank you!