John Mayer, DC, PhD, CCRP, FACSM
Professor, Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences
Endowed Chair, Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences
Coordinator of Research, School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences, Morsani College of Medicine
Adjunct Associate Professor, (Volunteer)
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd
Tampa FL 33647
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone:(813) 974-3818
- CCRP, Certified Clinical Research Professional, Society of Clinical Research Associates, 2003
- PHD, Exercise Science/Science Education, Syracuse University, 2000
- MS, Exercise Science, Syracuse University, 1998
- DC, National College of Chiropractic*, 1991
- BS, Human Biology, National University of Health Sciences, 1989
- BS, Biology, SUNY, 1987
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Non-operative management of spinal pain disorders.
- Restorative exercise for prevention and treatment of spinal pain disorders.
- Development of clinical outcome instruments related to physical functioning.
- Clinical trials.
- Best evidence synthesis.
- Mayer JM, Childs JD, Neilson BD, Chen H, Koppenhaver SL, Quillen WS. Effect of Lumbar Progressive Resistance Exercise on Lumbar Muscular Strength and Core Muscular Endurance in Soldiers. Military medicine. 181(11) : e1615-e1622, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27849497
- Mayer JM, Nuzzo JL. Worksite back and core exercise in firefighters: effect on development of lumbar multifidus muscle size. Work,. 50(4) : 621-7, 2015.
- Mayer JM Quillen WS Verna JL Chen R Lunseth P Dagenais S. Impact of a supervised worksite exercise program on back and core muscular endurance in firefighters. American Journal of Health Promotion. 29(3) : 165-72, 2015.
- Nuzzo JL, Haun DW, Mayer JM. Ultrasound measurements of lumbar multifidus and abdominal muscle size in firefighters. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal rehabilitation. 27(4) : 427-33, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24614830
- Matheson L Verna JL Dreisinger TE Leggett S Mayer JM. Age and gender normative data for lift capacity. Work,. 49(2) : 257-69, 2014.
- Martuscello JM, Nuzzo JL, Ashley CD, Campbell BI, Orriola JJ, Mayer JM. Systematic review of core muscle activity during physical fitness exercises. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research / National Strength & Conditioning Association. 27(6) : 1684-98, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23542879
- Nuzzo JL, Mayer JM. Body mass normalisation for ultrasound measurements of lumbar multifidus and abdominal muscle size. Manual Therapy. 18(3) : 237-42, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23149061
- Mayer JM, Nuzzo JL, Dagenais S. Use of participant focus groups to identify barriers and facilitators to worksite exercise therapy adherence in randomized controlled trials involving firefighters. Patient Preference and Adherence. 7: 207-15, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23515182
- Nuzzo JL Mayer JM. Body mass normalization for isometric tests of muscle endurance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 27(7) : 2039-45, 2013.
- Mayer JM Graves JE Manini TM Nuzzo JL Ploutz-Snyder LL. Lumbar muscle activity during common lifts: a preliminary study using magnetic resonance imaging. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 29(2) : 147-54, 2013.
- Verna JL, Matheson LN, Gables S, Hause R, Mayer JM. Development and reliability testing of Spanish language and english language versions of the multidimensional task ability profile. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation. 23(2) : 220-7, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23065195
- Mayer JM, Nuzzo JL, Chen R, Quillen WS, Verna JL, Miro R, Dagenais S. The impact of obesity on back and core muscular endurance in firefighters. Journal of Obesity. 2012: 729283, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23213491
- Schmader KE Baron R Haanpää ML Mayer JM O’Connor A Rice ASC Stacey B. Treatment considerations for elderly and frail patients with neuropathic pain. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 85(3) : S26-33, 2010.
- LeBel AA Levy RM Mackey S Mayer JM Miaskowski C Raja SN Rice ASC Schmader K Stacey B Stanos S Treede RD Turk DC Walco G Wells C. Recommendations for the pharmacological management of neuropathic pain: an overview and literature update. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 85(3) : S3-14, 2010.
- Mayer JM, Haldeman S, Tricco AC, Dagenais S. Management of chronic low back pain in active individuals. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 9(1) : 60-6, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071924
- Mooney V, Matheson LN, Verna J, Leggett S, Dreisinger TE, Mayer JM. Performance-integrated self-report measurement of physical ability. The Spine Journal : Official journal of the North American Spine Society. 10(5) : 433-40, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20338829
- Dagenais S, Gay RE, Tricco AC, Freeman MD, Mayer JM. NASS Contemporary Concepts in Spine Care: spinal manipulation therapy for acute low back pain. The Spine Journal : Official journal of the North American Spine Society. 10(10) : 918-40, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20869008
- Pettitt RW Udermann BE Reineke RM Wright GA Battista RA Mayer JM Murray SR. Time-course of delayed onset muscle soreness evoked by three intensities of lumbar eccentric exercise. Athletic Training & Sports Health Care. 2(4) : 171-6, 2010.
- Director of Research ((previously known as US Spine & Sport Foundation), Vert Mooney Research Foundation 2001 - 2012)
- Adjunct Research Associate/Professor (Department of Biology, College of Sciences, San Diego State University 2001 - 2007)
- Chiropractic Clinician (Various multidisciplinary, outpatient, physical rehabilitation centers, Sole proprietor 1991 - 2007)
- Chiropractic Clinician (Various multidisciplinary, outpatient, physical rehabilitation centers, Spine & Sport 1991 - 2007)
- Adjunct Instructor (College of Extended Studies, San Diego State University 2002 - 2006)
- Adjunct Instructor (Department of Exercise Science, School of Education, Syracuse University 1998 - 1999)
- Research/Teaching Assistant (Department of Exercise Science, School of Education, Syracuse University 1997 - 1999)
- Teaching Associate (Future Professoriate Program, Graduate School, Syracuse University 1998 - 1999)
- Physical Therapy Aide (-, Good Samaritan Hospital 1989 - 1990)
- Researcher of the Year (American Chiropractic Association - 2014)
- Safety Award (Tampa Fire Rescue - 2012)
- The Doctoral Prize (Syracuse University - 2001)