Department of Environmental and Occupational Health
Ph.D. in Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
M.S. / B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
Heat Stress. Development of exposure assessment methods. Investigations on the effects of protective clothing on the level of heat stress, and on the benefits of personal cooling systems. Applications of alternative methods of heat stress evaluation in work environments based on heat balance analysis techniques and on assessment of physiological strain. Implementation of integrated programs of heat stress management.
Ergonomics. Development of ergonomics surveillance tool for short cycle jobs. Evolution of a framework for analyzing short-cycle manufacturing jobs that systematically examines biomechanics, muscle fatigue and cumulative trauma. Implementation of job analysis tools to better match the needs of the users from personnel on the floor to engineers designing new jobs.
Instruction and Advising. Graduate-level courses in occcupational safety and health, including industrial ergonomics, safety and health administration, and engineering systems safety. Contribute to classes in occupational and environmental health. Supervise student research. Routinely instruct in professional development courses.
- Fulbright Scholar at Loughborough University, UK (Fall 2011)
- W. W. Clyde Chair, College of Engineering, University of Utah (Fall 2002)
- Certified in Public Health (5567, August 2010)
- Certified Safety Professional (20170, May 2008)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (6346, July 1994)
- Certified Professional Ergonomist (088, June 1993)
- Registered Professional Engineer (Pennsylvania) (PE-029166-E, March 1980)
- Member and Past Chair, ACGIH® Physical Agents TLV® Committee
- Fellow, American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
- Member, American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH®)
- Past Member, Safety and Occupational Health Study Section (NIOSH) (2002-2006)
- USF College of Public Health Distinguished Teaching Award, 1993, 1996, 2003
- Westinghouse Signature Award of Excellence, 1985 and 1987
- University of South Florida (1989 - present)
- Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Research and Development Center (1978 - 1989)
- United States Bureau of Mines, Pittsburgh Research Center (1976 - 1978)
- The Pennsylvania State University (1974 - 1975)
- University of Pittsburgh (1971 - 1974)