Prior Degree Requirement
A bachelor's degree from an approved regionally accredited
institution (or equivalent from an approved international institution)
earned prior to starting a graduate program at USF is required for admission to the College of Public Health.
Application Process Outline
- Complete a SOPHAS application.
- The SOPHAS application will be verified by SOPHAS
(allow two to four weeks)
- Once verified by SOPHAS, the application will be sent
to USF and entered into our Graduate University System.
- You will receive an email confirming your SOPHAS
application has been received by USF. The email will contain a link to the
USF application form and fee information.
- Once the USF application is completed and the fee has been
paid, and all required College of Public Health supporting documents
received, the application will be forwarded to the admission committee for
review (allow two to four weeks).
- Monitor your e-mail and the
USF web site for decisions and other communications.
Materials Required for SOPHAS
Note: If you have not taken any of the required tests (GRE, GMAT, TOEFL,
IELTS) prior to submitting your SOPHAS application the application is
considered incomplete unless the official scores are received prior to the
deadline. Scores received after the deadline cannot be reviewed for the
semester applied they will be considered for the following term.
- Official GRE, MCAT or GMAT test scores are required (view Admissions Test Information)
- Have official GRE scores sent to USF College of Public Health (ETS code “4224 U SOUTH FLORIDA COLL PUBLIC HEALTH”). This will automatically enter your scores in the SOPHAS system.
- TOEFL scores (Applicants whose native language is not English or who have not earned a degree in the United States must also submit TOEFL scores earned within two (2) years of the desired term of entry). Have official TOEFL scores sent to USF College of Public Health (ETS code “5688”). This will automatically enter your scores in the SOPHAS system.
- Transcripts - Send all transcripts and evaluations to SOPHAS:
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning where a degree was earned and from all institutions from which courses were used to apply to a degree at another institution (for example community college coursework).
- SOPHAS requires ALL foreign transcripts to have a course by course evaluation from World Education Services (WES, http://www.wes.org/). An exception to the WES evaluation requirement may be made on a case by case basis by Graduate Admissions at the College of Public Health, if WES is unable to evaluate an applicant’s transcripts, and such proof is submitted. In such cases, an evaluation by another agency, specified by the college, will be required.
- If you are admitted to USF and waiting to enroll you may be required to send your final transcripts to USF.
- A minimum of two letters of
recommendation of a professional or academic nature. Refer to your degree
type to see if additional letters of recommendation are required.
- A resume or curriculum vitae
should be uploaded to the SOPHAS application.
- MPH, MSPH, MHA
applicants must include a statement
of purpose and objectives.
- PhD and DrPH applicants must include a detailed statement or purpose of
less than five pages that describes why you wish to obtain a PhD or DrPH
degree in Public Health.
- The SOPHAS application fee must
be paid (depends on number of schools applied to).
- PhD applicants must
include a writing sample (graduate level term paper, thesis, research
paper, article where applicant is first author). The sample should be
uploaded to the SOPHAS application and has a 5MB size limit. If you have
problems uploading your writing sample please contact Academic and Student
Affairs at: (813) 974-6505.
To start the SOPHAS application process, go to http://www.sophas.org.