International Field Experience

Contact Us

Field Experience Team
Somer Burke, MPH, CHES, CPH
International Field Experience Administrator


Passport – You should have a valid passport at least a year in advance of your planned IFE. If you have a passport, keep in mind that some countries require that your passport be valid at least 6 months or longer beyond the dates of your trip. Photocopy the vital information from the 1st page of your passport and keep separate from your passport. For more information, visit:

Visas – Visas are not the same as passports. Not all countries require visas but when needed it may be a long process and should be started early–at least 3 months prior to your departure. When you apply for your visa be sure it covers a period longer than your stay in the host country. A natural disaster, an illness, a missed train or plane connection could cause over-stay on one’s visa. Consider applying for a multiple entry Visa if available. (Please consult with your consulate or embassy for visas)