Faculty & Staff Directory
Christina Bricker, PhD, ARNP, FNP-BC, FAHA
Assistant Professor, College of Nursing
Technical and Paraprofessional, College of Medicine Pediatrics
- PhD, Nursing, University of Arkansas, 2018
- PhD, Nursing Research, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 2013
- MSN, Family Nurse Practitioner Specialty, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 2000
- BSN, Nursing, Harding University, 1995
- Dr. Bricker's research has focused on examining the causes of cardiovascular health disparities and identifying ways to eliminate them.
- Her research studies include her dissertation and NIH-funded NRSA entitled: Factors Affecting Hypertension Treatment Adherence among African Americans (1-F31-NR012347) and a University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Nursing-funded study entitled: The Relationship of Sleep Disturbance, Depression, and Inflammation with Coronary Heart Disease in Women.
- Dr. Bricker's interest in health care disparities has grown out of her clinical experience in providing care to the uninsured and she is interested in the factors influencing health care disparities, including culture, genetics, and environment.
- Great 100 Nurses of Arkansas (The Great 100 Nurses Foundation - 2018)
- Fellow of the American Heart Association (CVSN Council - 2015)
- International Society of Hypertension New Member Spotlight (International Society of Hypertension - 2014)
- Dissertation of the Year Award (UAMS College of Nursing - 2014)
- Outstanding Future Nurse Leader Award (UAMS College of Nursing - 2014)
- Southern Nursing Research Society Top Student Poster (Southern Nursing Research Society - 2014)
- Travel Award (American Heart Association - 2013)
- Special Appreciation Award for service as Chair, SNRS Student Network (Southern Nursing Research Society - 2013)
- Travel Award (UAMS Graduate School - 2013)
- Outstanding Achievement Award (AMS Graduate School - 2011)
- Outstanding Poster Presentation Award: Graduate Student Division (UAMS Student Research Day - 2011)
- UAMS Phenomenal Woman Award (University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences - 2011)
- Achievement Award (UAMS Graduate School - 2010)
- Outstanding Scholarly Research Paper Award (Harding University - 1995)
- McSweeney J, Cleves M, Fischer E, (Bricker) Pettey C, & Beasley B, Using the McSweeney Acute and Prodromal Myocardial Infarction Symptom Survey to Predict the Occurrence of Short-Term Coronary Heart Disease Events in Women. Women’s Health Issues. : doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2017.07.002 PMID: 28830656 [PMCID: PMC5694369], 2017.
- DeVon HA, (Bricker) Pettey CM, Vuckovic KM, Koenig MD, & McSweeney JC, Comparing cardiac symptoms in older and younger women: A review of the literature. JOGNN: Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing. : doi: 10.1016/j.jogn.2016.02.002 PMID: 26968243, 2016.
- McSweeney JC, Rosenfeld AG, Abel WM, Braun LT, Burke LE, Daugherty SL, Fletcher GF, Gulati M, Mehta LS, (Bricker) Pettey CM, & Reckelhoff JF, Preventing and Experiencing Ischemic Heart Disease as a Woman: State of the Science: A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. : doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000381 PMID: 26927362 [PMCID: PMC5154387], 2016.
- (Bricker) Pettey CM, McSweeney JC, Stewart KE, Cleves MA, Price ET, Heo S, & Souder E, African Americans’ perceptions of adherence to medications and lifestyle changes prescribed to treat hypertension. Sage Open. : doi: 10.1177/2158244015623595 PMID: 27148469 [PMCID: PMC4853166], 2016.
- (Bricker) Pettey CM, McSweeney JC, Stewart KE, Price ET, Cleves MA, Heo S, & Souder E, Perceptions of family history and genetic testing and feasibility of pedigree development among African Americans with hypertension. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 14(1) : 8-15. doi:10.1177/1474515114556198 PMID: 25322748 [PMCID: PMC4758451], 2015.
- McSweeney J, Cleves M, Fischer E, Moser D, Wei J, (Bricker) Pettey C, Rojo M, & Armbya N, Predicting coronary heart disease events in women: A longitudinal cohort study. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 29(6) : 482-492. doi:10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182a409cc PMID: 24231895 [PMCID: PMC4019730], 2014.
- McSweeney J, (Bricker) Pettey C, Lefler LL, & Heo S, Disparities in heart failure and other cardiovascular diseases among women. Women's Health. 8(4) : 473-85. doi: 10.2217/whe.12.22 PMID: 22757737 [PMCID: PMC3459240], 2012.
- Cole CS, McSweeney JC, Cleves MA, Armbya N, Bliwise DL, & (Bricker) Pettey CM, Sleep disturbance in women before myocardial infarction. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care. 41(5) : 438-445. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2012.05.007 PMID: 22770599 [PMCID: PMC3432660], 2012.
- McSweeney J, (Bricker) Pettey C, Souder E, & Rhoads S, Disparities in women's cardiovascular health. JOGNN: Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing. 40: 362-371. doi: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2011.01239.x PMID: 21477222, 2011.
- McSweeney JC, (Bricker) Pettey CM, Fischer EP, & Spellman A, Going the distance: overcoming challenges in recruitment and retention of black and white women in a multisite, longitudinal study of predictors of coronary heart disease. Research in Gerontological Nursing. 2: 256-264. doi: 10.3928/19404921-20090803-01 PMID: 20077981 [PMCID: PMC2854651], 2009.
- The Relationship of Sleep Disturbance, Depression, and Inflammation with Coronary Heart Disease in Women (Order Total: 8000, 7/1/2014 12:00:00 AM - 6/30/2015 12:00:00 AM)
- Factors Affecting Hypertension Treatment Adherence among African Americans (Order Total: 57953, 7/1/2011 12:00:00 AM - 6/30/2013 12:00:00 AM)
- Exploring Perceptions Surrounding Hypertension Treatment among African Americans (Order Total: 500, 7/1/2011 12:00:00 AM - 6/30/2012 12:00:00 AM)