Patricia Emmanuel, MD
Chair, College of Medicine Pediatrics
Professor, COPH Dean's Office
Lewis A. Barness Endowed Chair, Pediatrics
Professor & Chair, College of Medicine Pediatrics
2 Tampa General Circle
5th Floor, Ste 5016
Tampa FL 33606
View My C.V.
- MD, Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, 1986
- B.S., University of Notre Dame, 1982
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Southern Society for Pediatric Research (Councilor, 1998 - 2001)
- Hillsborough County Pediatric Society (President, 1998 - 2000)
- Hillsborough County Pediatric Society (Vice-President, 1996 - 1997)
- Hillsborough County Pediatric Society (Secretary, 1994 - 1995)
- Kosambiya JK, Baria HG, Parmar R, Mhaskar R, Emmanuel P, Kumar A. Diagnostic accuracy of self-reported symptomatic assessment versus per speculum/per vaginal examination for the diagnosis of vaginal/cervical discharge and lower abdominal pain syndromes among female sex workers. Indian Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 37(1) : 12-6, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27190406
- Chenneville T, Clutter MO, Hintz S, Walsh A, Emmanuel P, Lujan-Zilberman J, Rodriguez C. Decisional capacity and medication adherence among youth with HIV. AIDS Care. 27(3) : 338-41, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25616658
- Chenneville T, Machacek M, Tan R, Lujan-Zilberman J, Emmanuel P, Rodriguez C. Decisional capacity among youth with HIV: results from the MacArthur Competence Tool for Treatment. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 28(8) : 425-32, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24999924
- Nachman S Zheng N Acosta EP Tepler H Homony B Graham B Fenton T Xu X Wenning L Spector SA Frenkel LM Alvero C Worrell C Handelsman E Wiznia A; International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials
(IMPAACT) P1066 Study Team. Pharmacokinetics, safety, and 48-week efficacy of oral raltegravir in HIV-1-infected children aged 2 through 18 years. Clin Infect Dis.. 58(3) : 413-22, 2014.
- Aberg JA, Gallant JE, Ghanem KG, Emmanuel P, Zingman BS, Horberg MA. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with HIV: 2013 update by the HIV medicine association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases : An official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 58(1) : e1-34, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24235263
- Carr SB, Bergamo DF, Emmanuel PJ, Ferreira JA. Murine typhus as a cause of cognitive impairment: case report and a review of the literature. Pediatric Neurology. 50(3) : 265-8, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24321542
- Neely M Rutstein R Del Bianco G Heresi G Barton T Wiznia A Wiegand R Wheeling T Bohannon B Domingues K; LEGACY Consortium. Use of nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor-only regimens in HIV-infected children and adolescents. Pediatr Infect Dis J.. 32(9) : e370-6, 2013.
- Nesheim SR, Hardnett F, Wheeling JT, Siberry GK, Paul ME, Emmanuel P, Bohannon B, Dominguez K. Incidence of opportunistic illness before and after initiation of highly active antiretroviral therapy in children. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 32(10) : 1089-95, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24067552
- Lee S Kapogiannis BG Flynn PM Rudy BJ Bethel J Ahmad S Tucker D Abdalian SE Hoffman D Wilson CM Cunningham CK; Adolescent Medicine Trials Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions. Comprehension of a simplified assent form in a vaccine trial for adolescents. J Med Ethics.. 39(6) : 410-2, 2013.
- Mhaskar R, Alandikar V, Emmanuel P, Djulbegovic B, Patel S, Patel A, Naik E, Mohapatra S, Kumar A. Adherence to antiretroviral therapy in India: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Indian Journal of Community Medicine : Official publication of Indian Association of Preventive & Social Medicine. 38(2) : 74-82, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23878418
- Williams PL Chernoff M Angelidou K Brouwers P Kacanek D Deygoo NS Nachman S Gadow KD. International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT) Group P1055 Study Team. Participation and retention of youth with perinatal HIV infection in mental health research studies: the IMPAACT P1055 psychiatric comorbidity study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr.. 63(3) : 401-9, 2013.
- Mulligan K, Harris DR, Emmanuel P, Fielding RA, Worrell C, Kapogiannis BG, Monte D, Sleasman J, Wilson CM, Aldrovandi GM. Low bone mass in behaviorally HIV-infected young men on antiretroviral therapy: Adolescent Trials Network Study 021B. Clinical Infectious Diseases : An official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 55(3) : 461-8, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22573848
- Siberry GK, Frederick T, Emmanuel P, Paul ME, Bohannon B, Wheeling T, Barton T, Rathore MH, Dominguez KL. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Infections in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Children and Adolescents. AIDS Research and Treatment. 2012: 627974, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23008761
- Kapadia F, Frye V, Bonner S, Emmanuel PJ, Samples CL, Latka MH. Perceived peer safer sex norms and sexual risk behaviors among substance-using Latino adolescents. AIDS Education and Prevention : Official publication of the International Society for AIDS Education. 24(1) : 27-40, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22339143
- Fortenberry JD Martinez J Rudy BJ Monte D. Linkage to care for HIV-positive adolescents: a multisite study of the adolescent medicine trials units of the adolescent trials network J Adolesc Health. 51(6) : 551-6, 2012.
- Setse R Siberry GK Moss WJ Gravitt P Wheeling T Bohannon B Dominguez K. Cervical pap screening cytological abnormalities among HIV-infected adolescents in the LEGACY cohort. Legacy Consortium. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol.. 25(1) : 27-34, 2012.
- Straub DM, Arrington-Sanders R, Harris DR, Willard N, Kapogiannis B, Emmanuel P, Futterman D, Ellen JM. Correlates of HIV testing history among urban youth recruited through venue-based testing in 15 US cities. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 38(8) : 691-6, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21758020
- Carver JD, Dellva B, Emmanuel PJ, Parchure R. Ethical considerations in scientific writing. Indian Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 32(2) : 124-8, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22021978
- , Emmanuel PJ, Martinez J. Adolescents and HIV infection: the pediatrician's role in promoting routine testing. Pediatrics. 128(5) : 1023-9, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22042816
- Weinberg A Song LY Walker R Allende M Fenton T Patterson-Bartlett J et, al, and the IMPAACT P1057 Team Study Group (Emmanuel P Study Group Member). Anti-influenza serum and mucosal antibody responses after administration of live attenuated or inactivated influenza vaccines to HIV infected children. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr.. 55(2) : 189-96, 2010.
- Gaur AH Belzer M Britto P Garvie PA Hu C Graham B et, al, and the Pediatric AIDS Clinical Trials Group P1036B Team Study Group (Emmanuel P Study Group Member). Directly observed therapy (DOT) for nonadherent HIV-infected youth: lessons learned, challenges ahead. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses.. 26(9) : 947-53, 2010.
- Cunningham CK Rudy BJ Xu J Bethel J Kapogiannis BG Ahmad S et, al, and the Adolescent Medicine Trials Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions Study Group (Emmanuel P Study Group Member). Randomized trial to determine safety and immunogenicity of two strategies for hepatitis B vaccination in healthy urban adolescents in the United States. Pediatr Infect Dis J.. 29(6) : 530-4, 2010.
- Barnes W D’Angelo L Yamazaki M Belzer M Schroeder S Palmer-Castor J and the Adolescent Trials Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions Study Group (Emmanuel P Study Group Member). Identification of HIV-infected 12- to 24-year-old men and women in 15 US cities through venue-based testing. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med.. 164(3) : 273-6, 2010.
- Chutuape KS Willard N Sanchez K Straub DM Ochoa TN Howell K and the Adolescent Medicine Trials Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions Study Group (Emmanuel P Study Group Member). Mobilizing communities around HIV prevention for youth: how three coalitions applied key strategies to being about structural changes. AIDS Educ Prev.. 22(1) : 15-27, 2010.
- Sill AM Constantine NT Wilson SM Peralta L and the Adolescent Trials Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions Study Group (Emmanuel P Study Group Member). Demographic profiles of newly acquired HIV infections among adolescents and young adults in the U.S. J Adolesc Health. 46(1) : 93-96, 2010.
- Williams PL Marino M Malee K Brogly S Hughes MD Mofenson LM and the PACTG 219C Team Study Group (Emmanuel P Study Group Member). Neurodevelopment and in utero antiretroviral exposure of HIV-exposed uninfected infants. Pediatrics.. 125(2) : e250-60, 2010.
- Aslam S, Emmanuel P. Formulating a researchable question: A critical step for facilitating good clinical research. Indian journal of sexually transmitted diseases. 31(1) : 47-50, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21808439
- Chenneville T, Sibille K, Lujan-Zilbermann J, Rodriguez C, Brown M, Emmanuel P. Medical decisional capacity among children with HIV. AIDS care. 22(11) : 1359-66, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20686987
- Wiznia A, Church J, Emmanuel P, Eppes S, Rowell L, Evans C, Bertasso A. Safety and efficacy of enfuvirtide for 48 weeks as part of an optimized antiretroviral regimen in pediatric human immunodeficiency virus 1-infected patients. The Pediatric infectious disease journal. 26(9) : 799-805, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17721374
- Maheshwari A, Stromquist CI, Pereda L, Emmanuel PJ. Mixed infection with unusual fungi and staphylococcal species in two extremely premature neonates. Journal of perinatology : official journal of the California Perinatal Association. 24(5) : 324-6, 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15116131
- Tangsinmankong N, Kamchaisatian W, Lujan-Zilbermann J, Brown CL, Sleasman JW, Emmanuel PJ. Varicella zoster as a manifestation of immune restoration disease in HIV-infected children. The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology. 113(4) : 742-6, 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15100682
- Rucker RP, Day NK, Good RA, Kamchaisatian W, Emmanuel P, Sleasman JW, Mayeski C, Dinglasan E, Haraguchi S, Tangsinmankong N. Effect of influenza virus vaccine on the expression of human immunodeficiency virus co-receptor CCR5. Annals of allergy, asthma & immunology : official publication of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. 93(3) : 272-6, 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15478388
- Tangsinmankong N, Kamchaisatian W, Day NK, Sleasman JW, Emmanuel PJ. Immunogenicity of 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in children with human immunodeficiency virus undergoing highly active antiretroviral therapy. Annals of allergy, asthma & immunology : official publication of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. 92(5) : 558-64, 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15191025
- Sáez-Llorens X, Nelson RP, Emmanuel P, Wiznia A, Mitchell C, Church JA, Sleasman J, Van Dyke R, Richardson CG, Cutrell A, Spreen W, Hetherington S. A randomized, double-blind study of triple nucleoside therapy of abacavir, lamivudine, and zidovudine versus lamivudine and zidovudine in previously treated human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected children. The CNAA3006 Study Team. Pediatrics. 107(1) : E4, 2001. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11134468
- President's Women's Leadership Award (Women's Status Committee, USF - 2005)
- Featured in the Monograph, "2004-2005 Experts Guide. Authorities on Children, Families and Communiti (USF Collaborative for Children, Families and Communities. - 2004)
- Recognized: "Best Doctors in America" 1999-2007 (Pediatric Specialties - 1999)
- HIV Training Grant Award (Infectious Disease Society Of America - 1995)
- Attending Physician of the Year-Teaching Award (Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida - 1994)
- Selected by Dean's Office to attend the Professional Development Seminar for Junior Women Faculty (Sponsored by the AAMC - 1993)
- Fellow (American Academy of Pediatrics - 1991)
- Resident Advocate of the Year (Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida - 1991)
- Outstanding Resident-Student Teacher Award (Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida - 1988)
- Outstanding Resident-Student Teacher Award (Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida - 1987)
- Outstanding Resident-Student Teacher Award (Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida - 1986)
- Society Award (Florida Obstetrics/Gynecology - 1986)
- J. Norman Hobbs Award (Outstanding Achievement In Pediatric Hematology/Oncology - 1986)
- Janet M. Glasgow Award (American Medical Women's Association - 1986)
- Hugh and Cornelia Corithers Award in Child Health and Development (University of Florida - 1986)
- Medical Guild Scholarship (University of Florida - 1986)
- Upjohn Achievement Award for Outstanding Medical Student (University of Florida - 1986)