Marisa Couluris, DO
Division Chief, College of Medicine Pediatrics
Division Chief, Pediatric Pulmonology
Professor, Pediatric Pulmonology
Medical Director, Cystic Fibrosis Pediatric Core Center
2 Tampa General Circle
Academic Phone: (813) 821-8029
- DO, Nova Southeastern University, 2001
- BS, Biology and Human & Natural Ecology, Emory University, 1995
"The mission of our team is to provide the highest quality of comprehensive, specialized care for our patients with pulmonary conditions."
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Asthma Center of Excellence
- Cancer Biology
- Cystic Fibrosis Affiliate Center
- Cystic Fibrosis Newborn Screening Program
- Environmental & amp; Global Health
- Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia Clinical Center
- Pulmonary Physiology
- Women & Children's Health
- Cystic Fibrosis Core Pediatric Center providing comprehensive state of the art care for patients and families living with Cystic fibrosis.
- Cystic Fibrosis Newborn Screening Center, one of only 11 in the state providing evaluation for infants with abnormal newborn screens.
- Studies to provide treatment options for patients living with neuromuscular conditions including muscular dystrophy
- Primary CIliary Dyskinesia Affiliate Center providing up to date care and research opportunities for patients living with a ciliopathy
- mHealth phone based technology to help teens improve their management of asthma
- Member (American Thoracic Society, 2007 - Present)
- Fellow (American Academy of Pediatrics, 2002 - Present)
- Member (American Osteopathic Association, 1996 - Present)
- Virtanen SM, Cuthbertson D, Couluris M, Savilahti E, Knip M, Krischer JP. Effect of extensively hydrolyzed casein vs. conventional formula on the risk of asthma and allergies: The TRIGR randomized clinical trial. Pediatric allergy and immunology : official publication of the European Society of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 32(4) : 670-678, 2021.
- Krischer JP, Cuthbertson D, Couluris M, Knip M, Virtanen SM. Association of diabetes-related autoantibodies with the incidence of asthma, eczema and allergic rhinitis in the TRIGR randomised clinical trial. Diabetologia. 63(9) : 1796-1807, 2020.
- Bakour C, Schwartz SW, Wang W, Sappenfield WM, Couluris M, Chen H, O''Rourke K. Sleep duration patterns from adolescence to young adulthood and the risk of asthma. Annals of epidemiology. 49: 20-26, 2020.
- Schneider T, Baum L, Alman A, Couluris M. I have most of my asthma under control
and I know how my asthma acts: Users’ Perceptions of Asthma Self-Management
Mobile App tailored for adolescents. Health Informatics Journal. , 2019.
- Bakour C, O''Rourke K, Schwartz S, Wang W, Sappenfield W, Couluris M. Sleep duration, obesity, and asthma, in Florida adolescents: analysis of data from the Florida Youth Risk Behavior Survey (2009-2013). Sleep & breathing = Schlaf & Atmung. 21(4) : 1039-1045, 2017.
- Bakour C, Schwartz S, O''Rourke K, Wang W, Sappenfield W, Couluris M, Chen H. Sleep Duration Trajectories and Systemic Inflammation in Young Adults: Results From the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent to Adult Health (Add Health). Sleep. 40(11) , 2017.
- Couluris . Cystic Fibrosis Today and Tomorrow The Florida Pediatrician. 36(3) , 2017.
- Schneider T, Panzera AD, Couluris M, Lindenberger J, McDermott R, Bryant CA. Engaging Teens with Asthma in Designing a Patient-Centered Mobile App to Aid Disease Self-Management. Telemedicine Journal and e-Health: The Official Journal of the American Telemedicine Association. , 2015.
- Schneider T, Panzera AD, Martinasek M, McDermott R, Couluris M, Lindenberger J, Bryant C. Physicians'' perceptions of mobile technology for enhancing asthma care for youth. Journal of Child Health Care: for Professionals Working with Children in the Hospital and Community. , 2014.
- Panzera AD, Schneider TK, Martinasek MP, Lindenberger JH, Couluris M, Bryant CA, McDermott RJ. Adolescent asthma self-management: patient and parent-caregiver perspectives on using social media to improve care. The Journal of School Health. 83(12) : 921-30, 2013.
- Couluris M, Kinder BW, Xu P, Gross-King M, Krischer J, Panos RJ. Treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis with losartan: a pilot project. Lung. 190(5) : 523-7, 2012.
- Couluris M, Schnapf BM, Casey A, Xu P, Gross-King M, Krischer J. How to measure secondhand smoke exposure in a pediatric clinic setting. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 165(7) : 670-1, 2011.
- Couluris M, Mayer JL, Freyer DR, Sandler E, Xu P, Krischer JP. The effect of cyproheptadine hydrochloride (periactin) and megestrol acetate (megace) on weight in children with cancer/treatment-related cachexia. Journal of pediatric hematology/oncology. 30(11) : 791-7, 2008.
- Gross-King M, Booth-Jones M, Couluris M. Neurocognitive impairment in children treated for cancer: how do we measure cognitive outcomes? Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing: Official Journal of The Association of Pediatric Oncology Nurses. 25(4) : 227-32, 2008.
- Couluris M, Schnapf BM, Gilbert-Barness E. Intralobar pulmonary sequestration associated with a congenital pulmonary airway malformation type II. Fetal and Pediatric Pathology. 26(5) : 207-12, 2007.