Jane Carver, PHD, MS, MPH
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics
Associate Professor, Pediatrics
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, College of Medicine
2 Tampa General Circle
Tampa FL 33606
View My C.V.
- PHD, Maternal & Child Health, University of South Florida, 1992
- MPH, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of South Florida College of Public Health, 1985
- MS, Nutrition, Florida State University, 1981
- BS, Animal Sciences, University of Vermont, 1979
- Dr. Carver has been on the faculty at USF since 1981. For most of her career she was a member of the Division of Neonatology where she conducted research in neonatal nutrition and the characterization of beneficial factors in human milk. She has conducted numerous basic science and clinical investigations, and has been the principal investigator of over 30 clinical trials related to nutrition for preterm and term infants. She is an author on over 50 publications and book chapters. In 2016 she retired and was appointed Professor Emeritus, and has continued to teach scientific writing for USF Health's graduate program in medical sciences, and she presents workshops related to medical writing at USF and other institutions. Dr. Carver also participates in faculty development activities, and serves as a medical writer/editor for the Department of Pediatrics.
- Member, elected (American Pediatric Society, 2013 - Present)
- Member (Council of Science Editors, 2006 - Present)
- Member (American Medical Writer's Association, 2005 - Present)
- Member, elected (Society for Pediatric Research, 1996 - Present)
- Member, elected (American Society for Clinical Nutrition, 1995 - Present)
- Member, elected (American Insitute of Nutrition, 1992 - Present)
- Lasekan JB, Linke HK, Oliver JS, Carver JD, Blatter MM, Kuchan MJ, Cramer JM, Pollack PF. Milk protein-based infant formula containing rice starch and low lactose reduces common regurgitation in healthy term infants: a randomized, blinded, and prospective trial. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 33(2) : 136-46, 2014.
- Havranek T, Miladinovic B, Wadhawan R, Carver JD. Factors that affect the postnatal increase in superior mesenteric artery blood flow velocity in very low birth weight preterm infants. Journal of Perinatal Medicine. 40(5) : 565-70, 2012.
- Carver JD, Dellva B, Emmanuel PJ, Parchure R. Ethical considerations in scientific writing. Indian Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 32(2) : 124-8, 2011.
- Ranells JD, Carver JD, Kirby RS. Infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: epidemiology, genetics, and clinical update. Advances in Pediatrics. 58(1) : 195-206, 2011.
- Havranek T, Ashmeade TL, Afanador M, Carver JD. Effects of maternal magnesium sulfate administration on intestinal blood flow velocity in preterm neonates. Neonatology. 100(1) : 44-9, 2011.
- Salemi JL, Pierre M, Tanner JP, Kornosky JL, Hauser KW, Kirby RS, Carver JD. Maternal nativity as a risk factor for gastroschisis: a population-based study. Birth defects research. Part A, Clinical and molecular teratology. 85(11) : 890-6, 2009.
- Ashmeade T, Carver JD. Right tracheal bronchus in an infant with congenital diaphragmatic hernia. American journal of perinatology. 26(9) : 621-3, 2009.
- Quintero RA, Chmait RH, Carver J, Bornick PW, Allen MH, Kontopoulos EV. In utero fetal oximetry via visible light spectroscopy in twin-twin transfusion syndrome. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 199(6) : 639.e1-4, 2008.
- Havranek T, Madramootoo C, Carver JD. Nasal continuous positive airway pressure affects pre- and postprandial intestinal blood flow velocity in preterm infants. Journal of Perinatology: Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association. 27(11) : 704-8, 2007.
- Chen M, Ashmeade T, Carver JD. Bone ultrasound velocity in small- versus appropriate-for-gestational age preterm infants. Journal of perinatology : official journal of the California Perinatal Association. 27(8) : 485-9, 2007.
- Havranek T, Johanboeke P, Madramootoo C, Carver JD. Umbilical artery catheters do not affect intestinal blood flow responses to minimal enteral feedings. Journal of Perinatology: Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association. 27(6) : 375-9, 2007.
- Ashmeade T, Pereda L, Chen M, Carver JD. Longitudinal measurements of bone status in preterm infants. Journal of pediatric endocrinology & metabolism : JPEM. 20(3) : 415-24, 2007.
- Haubner L, Sullivan J, Ashmeade T, Saste M, Wiener D, Carver J. The effects of maternal dietary docosahexaenoic acid intake on rat pup myelin and the auditory startle response. Developmental neuroscience. 29(6) : 460-7, 2007.
- Havranek T, Thompson Z, Carver JD. Factors that influence mesenteric artery blood flow velocity in newborn preterm infants. Journal of Perinatology: Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association. 26(8) : 493-7, 2006.
- Carver JD, Stromquist CI. Dietary nucleotides and preterm infant nutrition. Journal of Perinatology: Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association. 26(7) : 443-4, 2006.
- Carver JD. Nutrition for preterm infants after hospital discharge. Advances in Pediatrics. 52: 23-47, 2005.
- Freeman-Ladd M, Cohen JB, Carver JD, Huhta JC. The hemodynamic effects of neonatal patent ductus arteriosus shunting on superior mesenteric artery blood flow. Journal of Perinatology: Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association. 25(7) : 459-62, 2005.
- Carver JD, Sosa R, Saste M, Kuchan M. Dietary nucleotides and intestinal blood flow velocity in term infants. Journal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition. 39(1) : 38-42, 2004.
- Pereda L, Ashmeade T, Zaritt J, Carver JD. The use of quantitative ultrasound in assessing bone status in newborn preterm infants. Journal of Perinatology: Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association. 23(8) : 655-9, 2003.
- Carver JD. Advances in nutritional modifications of infant formulas. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 77(6) : 1550S-1554S, 2003.
- Carver JD, Saste M, Sosa R, Zaritt J, Kuchan M, Barness LA. The effects of dietary nucleotides on intestinal blood flow in preterm infants. Pediatric Research. 52(3) : 425-9, 2002.
- Haubner LY, Stockard JE, Saste MD, Benford VJ, Phelps CP, Chen LT, Barness L, Wiener D, Carver JD. Maternal dietary docosahexanoic acid content affects the rat pup auditory system. Brain research bulletin. 58(1) : 1-5, 2002.
- Carver JD, Benford VJ, Han B, Cantor AB. The relationship between age and the fatty acid composition of cerebral cortex and erythrocytes in human subjects. Brain research bulletin. 56(2) : 79-85, 2001.
- Carver JD, Wu PY, Hall RT, Ziegler EE, Sosa R, Jacobs J, Baggs G, Auestad N, Lloyd B. Growth of preterm infants fed nutrient-enriched or term formula after hospital discharge. Pediatrics. 107(4) : 683-9, 2001.
- Ashmeade TL, Wiener D, Barness LA, Carver JD. Transcutaneous absorption of vitamin A in newborn rats. Biology of the neonate. 78(4) : 304-7, 2000.
- Stockard JE, Saste MD, Benford VJ, Barness L, Auestad N, Carver JD. Effect of docosahexaenoic acid content of maternal diet on auditory brainstem conduction times in rat pups. Developmental neuroscience. 22(5-6) : 494-9, 2000.
- Carver JD. Dietary nucleotides: effects on the immune and gastrointestinal systems. Acta paediatrica (Oslo, Norway : 1992). Supplement. 88(430) : 83-8, 1999.
- Valencia P, Carver JD, Wyble LE, Benford VJ, Gilbert-Barness E, Wiener DA, Phelps C. The fatty acid composition of maternal diet affects the response to excitotoxic neural injury in neonatal rat pups. Brain research bulletin. 45(6) : 637-40, 1998.
- Saste MD, Carver JD, Stockard JE, Benford VJ, Chen LT, Phelps CP. Maternal diet fatty acid composition affects neurodevelopment in rat pups. The Journal of Nutrition. 128(4) : 740-3, 1998.
- Carver JD, Stromquist CI, Benford VJ, Minervini G, Benford SA, Barness LA. Postnatal inositol levels in preterm infants. Journal of Perinatology: Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association. 17(5) : 389-92, 1997.
- Rayon JI, Carver JD, Wyble LE, Wiener D, Dickey SS, Benford VJ, Chen LT, Lim DV. The fatty acid composition of maternal diet affects lung prostaglandin E2 levels and survival from group B streptococcal sepsis in neonatal rat pups. The Journal of Nutrition. 127(10) : 1989-92, 1997.
- Malone JI, Lowitt S, Salem AF, Miranda C, Korthals JK, Carver J. The effects of acetyl-L-carnitine and sorbinil on peripheral nerve structure, chemistry, and function in experimental diabetes. Metabolism: clinical and experimental. 45(7) : 902-7, 1996.
- Carver JD, Barness LA. Trophic factors for the gastrointestinal tract. Clinics in Perinatology. 23(2) : 265-85, 1996.
- Novak DA, Carver JD, Ananthanarayanan M, Ray W. Diet affects hepatocyte membrane composition, fluidity, and taurocholate transport in suckling rats. The American journal of physiology. 267(2 Pt 1) : G301-7, 1994.
- Novak DA, Carver JD, Barness LA. Dietary nucleotides affect hepatic growth and composition in the weanling mouse. JPEN. Journal of parenteral and enteral nutrition. 18(1) : 62-6, 1994.
- Carver JD. Dietary nucleotides: cellular immune, intestinal and hepatic system effects. The Journal of nutrition. 124(1 Suppl) : 144S-148S, 1994.
- Carver JD, McDermott RJ, Jacobson HN, Sherin KM, Kanarek K, Pimentel B, Tan LH. Infant mortality statistics do not adequately reflect the impact of short gestation. Pediatrics. 92(2) : 229-32, 1993.
- Gilbert-Barness E, Kenison K, Carver J. Fetal hemoglobin and sudden infant death syndrome. Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine. 117(2) : 177-9, 1993.
- Novak D, Ray W, Carver J, Grossman S. Developmental changes in hepatic basolateral membrane lipid composition and fluidity. Biochimica et biophysica acta. 1111(1) : 59-64, 1992.
- Carver JD, Pimentel B, Cox WI, Barness LA. Dietary nucleotide effects upon immune function in infants. Pediatrics. 88(2) : 359-63, 1991.
- Carver JD, Pimentel B, Wiener DA, Lowell NE, Barness LA. Infant feeding effects on flow cytometric analysis of blood. Journal of clinical laboratory analysis. 5(1) : 54-6, 1991.
- Carver JD, Cox WI, Barness LA. Dietary nucleotide effects upon murine natural killer cell activity and macrophage activation. JPEN. Journal of parenteral and enteral nutrition. 14(1) : 18-22, 1990.
- Carlson SE, Carver JD, House SG. High fat diets varying in ratios of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acid and linoleic to linolenic acid: a comparison of rat neural and red cell membrane phospholipids. The Journal of Nutrition. 116(5) : 718-25, 1986.
- Putnam JC, Carlson SE, DeVoe PW, Barness LA. The effect of variations in dietary fatty acids on the fatty acid composition of erythrocyte phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylethanolamine in human infants. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 36(1) : 106-14, 1982.
- Putnam JC. The effect of variations Am J Clin Nutr. 1(36) : 106-14, 1982.
- Associate Professor (Pediatrics, University of South Florida 1996 - 2010)
- Assistant Professor (Pediatrics, University of South Florida 1992 - 1996)