Mark Mclean, PHD
Professor, Ob/Gyn, Medicine
Professor, College of Medicine Obstetrics & Gynecology
Professor, College of Medicine Molecular Medicine
Academic Phone:(813) 974-2875
View My C.V.
- PHD, Physiology, University of Illinois, 1986
- MS, Cell Biology, Nortern Illinois University, 1981
- BS, Biology, Northern Illinois University, 1979
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Research I: Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein (StAR) is critical for cholesterol (C) transport to the side chain cleavage enzyme on the inner mitochondrial membrane. My research examines the negative transcriptional regulators of StAR. Furthermore, the roles that inner and outer mitochondrial specific proteins play in coordination with StAR is also being studied in order to determine how StAR functions in trans-membrane C movement.
- Research II: HDL plasma levels play a critical role in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular diseases. HDL particles transport excess C from the arterial wall to the liver for disposal. The mediator of this process is the scavenger receptor class B (SR-B). The SR-B gene was found to have alternatively spliced forms (SR-BI and SR-BII), and our laboratory has demonstrated that the expression of SR-Bs are controlled by estrogen. This research is to establish the mechanisms of estrogen regulated SR-B alternative splicing.
- American Heart Association (Member, 2011 - Present)
- American Physiology Society (Member, 1990 - Present)
- SRI (Member, 1990 - Present)
- Endocrine Society (Member, 1985 - Present)
- Society for the Study of Reproduction (Membere, 1981 - Present)
- Zaidi SK, Shen WJ, Bittner S, Bittner A, McLean MP, Han J, Davis RJ, Kraemer FB, Azhar S. p38 MAPK regulates steroidogenesis through transcriptional repression of STAR gene. Journal of molecular endocrinology. 53(1) : 1-16, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24780837
- Zaidi S, K, Shen W, Bittner S, Bittner A, McLean M, P, Han J, Davis R, J, Kraemer F, B, Azhar S. Lp38 MAPK regulates steroidogenesis through transcriptional repression of STAR gene. J Mol Endocrinol. 53(1) : 1-16, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18187312
- Huang, J, Okuka, M, Lu, W, Tsibris, JC, McLean, MP, Keefe, DL, Liu, L. Telomere shortening and DNA damage of embryonic stem cells induced by cigarette smoke Reprod Toxicol. 35: 89-95, 2013.
- Huang J, Okuka M, McLean M, Keefe DL, Liu L. Telomere susceptibility to cigarette smoke-induced oxidative damage and chromosomal instability of mouse embryos in vitro. Free radical biology & medicine. 48(12) : 1663-76, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20381605
- Huang J, Okuka M, McLean M, Keefe DL, Liu L. Effects of cigarette smoke on fertilization and embryo development in vivo. Fertility and sterility. 92(4) : 1456-65, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19019360
- Liu Q, Merkler KA, Zhang X, McLean MP. Prostaglandin F2alpha suppresses rat steroidogenic acute regulatory protein expression via induction of Yin Yang 1 protein and recruitment of histone deacetylase 1 protein. Endocrinology. 148(11) : 5209-19, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17702849
- Zhang X, Moor AN, Merkler KA, Liu Q, McLean MP. Regulation of alternative splicing of liver scavenger receptor class B gene by estrogen and the involved regulatory splicing factors. Endocrinology. 148(11) : 5295-304, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17673517
- Robert J Boucek Award (American Heart Association - 2001)
- Robert J Boucek Award (American Heart Association, Florida - 1993)
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation President Award (Society for Gynecologic Investigation - 1992)
- Endocrine Society New Investigator Award (Endocrine Society - 1989)
- Serono Young Investigator Award (Serono - 1989)