Shalini Jain, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery and Brain Repair
Faculty, Center of Excellence for Aging and Brain Repair
Faculty, USF Center for Microbiome Research, Institute for Microbiomes
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.,
Tampa FL 33612
Academic Phone:(813) 974-6281
View My C.V.
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Biomedical Engineering & Nanomedicine
- Metabolic Regulation and Disorders
- Neurodegenerative Disease
- Dr. Jain research program is focused on determining the role of microbiome and its metabolites in predicting human health conditions as well as determining the role of different microbiome modifiers on ameliorating these conditions. Her current research is specifically focused on discovering the importance of gut microbiome-based biomarkers in aging related conditions including cognitive decline, Alzheimer's disease, obesity, diabetes and cancer in clinical and preclinical studies. Dr. Jain has more than 10 years of expertise working on the role of probiotics on microbiome, host metabolism and immune functions. She has extensive experiences in G-coupled protein receptor signaling and designer receptors exclusively activated by designer drugs using chemogenetics approach.
- Mishra SP, Jain S, Taraphder S, Yadav H. New Horizons in Microbiota and Metabolic Health Research. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 106(2) : e1052-e1059, 2021.
- Ahmadi S, Razazan A, Nagpal R, Jain S, Wang B, Mishra SP, Wang S, Justice J, Ding J, McClain DA, Kritchevsky SB, Kitzman D, Yadav H. Metformin Reduces Aging-Related Leaky Gut and Improves Cognitive Function by Beneficially Modulating Gut Microbiome/Goblet Cell/Mucin Axis. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 75(7) : e9-e21, 2020.
- Ahmadi S, Wang S, Nagpal R, Wang B, Jain S, Razazan A, Mishra SP, Zhu X, Wang Z, Kavanagh K, Yadav H. A human-origin probiotic cocktail ameliorates aging-related leaky gut and inflammation via modulating the microbiota/taurine/tight junction axis. JCI insight. 5(9) , 2020.
- Wang S, Ahmadi S, Nagpal R, Jain S, Mishra SP, Kavanagh K, Zhu X, Wang Z, McClain DA, Kritchevsky SB, Kitzman DW, Yadav H. Lipoteichoic acid from the cell wall of a heat killed Lactobacillus paracasei D3-5 ameliorates aging-related leaky gut, inflammation and improves physical and cognitive functions: from C. elegans to mice. GeroScience. 42(1) : 333-352, 2020.
- Salaye L, Bychkova I, Sink S, Kovalic AJ, Bharadwaj MS, Lorenzo F, Jain S, Harrison AV, Davis AT, Turnbull K, Meegalla NT, Lee SH, Cooksey R, Donati GL, Kavanagh K, Bonkovsky HL, McClain DA. A Low Iron Diet Protects from Steatohepatitis in a Mouse Model. Nutrients. 11(9) , 2019.
- Pydi SP, Jain S, Tung W, Cui Y, Zhu L, Sakamoto W, Jain S, Abel BS, Skarulis MC, Liu J, Huynh T, Pacak K, Caron MG, Gavrilova O, Finkel T, Wess J. Adipocyte β-arrestin-2 is essential for maintaining whole body glucose and energy homeostasis. Nature communications. 10(1) : 2936, 2019.
- McClain DA, Sharma NK, Jain S, Harrison A, Salaye LN, Comeau ME, Langefeld CD, Lorenzo FR, Das SK. Adipose Tissue Transferrin and Insulin Resistance. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 103(11) : 4197-4208, 2018.
- Carlin JL, Jain S, Duroux R, Suresh RR, Xiao C, Auchampach JA, Jacobson KA, Gavrilova O, Reitman ML. Activation of adenosine A or A receptors causes hypothermia in mice. Neuropharmacology. 139: 268-278, 2018.
- Jain S, Panyutin A, Liu N, Xiao C, Piñol RA, Pundir P, Girardet C, Butler AA, Dong X, Gavrilova O, Reitman ML. Melanotan II causes hypothermia in mice by activation of mast cells and stimulation of histamine 1 receptors. American journal of physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism. 315(3) : E357-E366, 2018.
- Liu W, Aerbajinai W, Li H, Liu Y, Gavrilova O, Jain S, Rodgers GP. Olfactomedin 4 Deletion Improves Male Mouse Glucose Intolerance and Insulin Resistance Induced by a High-Fat Diet. Endocrinology. 159(9) : 3235-3244, 2018.
- Zhuang L, Jang Y, Park YK, Lee JE, Jain S, Froimchuk E, Broun A, Liu C, Gavrilova O, Ge K. Depletion of Nsd2-mediated histone H3K36 methylation impairs adipose tissue development and function. Nature communications. 9(1) : 1796, 2018.
- Chander AM, Yadav H, Jain S, Bhadada SK, Dhawan DK. Cross-Talk Between Gluten, Intestinal Microbiota and Intestinal Mucosa in Celiac Disease: Recent Advances and Basis of Autoimmunity. Frontiers in microbiology. 9: 2597, 2018.
- Nagpal R, Newman TM, Wang S, Jain S, Lovato JF, Yadav H. Obesity-Linked Gut Microbiome Dysbiosis Associated with Derangements in Gut Permeability and Intestinal Cellular Homeostasis Independent of Diet. Journal of diabetes research. 2018: 3462092, 2018.
- Carlin JL, Jain S, Gizewski E, Wan TC, Tosh DK, Xiao C, Auchampach JA, Jacobson KA, Gavrilova O, Reitman ML. Hypothermia in mouse is caused by adenosine A and A receptor agonists and AMP via three distinct mechanisms. Neuropharmacology. 114: 101-113, 2017.
- Yadav H, Jain S, Nagpal R, Marotta F. Increased fecal viral content associated with obesity in mice. World journal of diabetes. 7(15) : 316-20, 2016.
- Nakajima K, Cui Z, Li C, Meister J, Cui Y, Fu O, Smith AS, Jain S, Lowell BB, Krashes MJ, Wess J. Corrigendum: Gs-coupled GPCR signalling in AgRP neurons triggers sustained increase in food intake. Nature communications. 7: 11019, 2016.
- Nakajima K, Cui Z, Li C, Meister J, Cui Y, Fu O, Smith AS, Jain S, Lowell BB, Krashes MJ, Wess J. Gs-coupled GPCR signalling in AgRP neurons triggers sustained increase in food intake. Nature communications. 7: 10268, 2016.
- Develaraja S, Reddy A, Yadav M, Jain S, Yadav H. Whole Grains in Amelioration of Metabolic Derangements. Journal of nutritional health & food science. 4(4) : 1-11, 2016.
- Kumar M, Hemalatha R, Nagpal R, Singh B, Parasannanavar D, Verma V, Kumar A, Marotta F, Catanzaro R, Cuffari B, Jain S, Bissi L, Yadav H. PROBIOTIC APPROACHES FOR TARGETING INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE: AN UPDATE ON ADVANCES AND OPPORTUNITIES IN MANAGING THE DISEASE. International journal of probiotics & prebiotics. 11(3-4) : 99-116, 2016.
- Li JH, Jain S, McMillin SM, Cui Y, Gautam D, Sakamoto W, Lu H, Jou W, McGuinness OP, Gavrilova O, Wess J. A novel experimental strategy to assess the metabolic effects of selective activation of a G(q)-coupled receptor in hepatocytes in vivo. Endocrinology. 154(10) : 3539-51, 2013.
- Nakajima K, Jain S, Ruiz de Azua I, McMillin SM, Rossi M, Wess J. Minireview: Novel aspects of M3 muscarinic receptor signaling in pancreatic β-cells. Molecular endocrinology (Baltimore, Md.). 27(8) : 1208-16, 2013.
- Wess J, Nakajima K, Jain S. Novel designer receptors to probe GPCR signaling and physiology. Trends in pharmacological sciences. 34(7) : 385-92, 2013.
- Marotta F, Lorenzetti A, Catanzaro R, Zerbinati N, Jain S, Solimene U, Yaduvanshi SK, Yadav H, Sapienza C, Srivastava N, Milazzo M, Italia A. A sturgeon-derived bioactive compound beneficially modulates nuclear receptors controlling metabolic functions in patients with metabolic syndrome. Acta bio-medica : Atenei Parmensis. 84(1) : 53-60, 2013.
- Jain S, Ruiz de Azua I, Lu H, White MF, Guettier JM, Wess J. Chronic activation of a designer G(q)-coupled receptor improves β cell function. The Journal of clinical investigation. 123(4) : 1750-62, 2013.
- Pandey R, Kumar N, Yadav M, Nagpal R, Jain S, Yadav H. Anti-diabetic compounds and their patent information: an update. Recent patents on inflammation & allergy drug discovery. 7(1) : 35-48, 2013.
- Pandey R, Kumar N, Paroha S, Prasad R, Yadav M, Jain S, Yadav H. Impact of obesity and diabetes on arthritis: An update. Health. 5(1) : 143-156, 2013.
- Jain S, Marotta F, Catanzaro R, Yadav H. Immune system and gut flora interactions are important episodes in metabolic diseases. Journal of gastrointestinal and liver diseases : JGLD. 21(4) : 347-8, 2012.
- Kumar M, Nagpal R, Hemalatha R, Verma V, Kumar A, Singh S, Marotta F, Jain S, Yadav H. Targeted cancer therapies: the future of cancer treatment. Acta bio-medica : Atenei Parmensis. 83(3) : 220-33, 2012.
- Yaduvanshi SK, Srivastava N, Prasad GB, Yadav M, Jain S, Yadav H. Genotoxic Potential of Reactive Oxygen Species (Ros), Lipid Peroxidation and DNA Repair Enzymes (Fpg and Endo III) in Alloxan Injected Diabetic Rats. Endocrine, metabolic & immune disorders drug targets. , 2012.
- Yaduvanshi SK, Srivastava N, Marotta F, Jain S, Yadav H. Evaluation of micronuclei induction capacity and mutagenicity of organochlorine and organophosphate pesticides. Drug metabolism letters. 6(3) : 187-97, 2012.
- Lorenzetti A, Marotta F, Yadav H, Celep G, Minelli E, Carrera-Bastos P, Jain S, Polimeni A, Solimene U. Improving sperm quality and spermatogenesis through a bioactive marine compound: an experimental study. Acta bio-medica : Atenei Parmensis. 83(2) : 108-13, 2012.
- Yadav H, Jain S. Herbo-probiotic therapy in cardioprotection: a new way of nature to nurture. Nutrition (Burbank, Los Angeles County, Calif.). 29(7-8) : 1070-1