Health Sciences Center faculty, staff and students may request interlibrary loans through the Shimberg Library ILL department for materials, which are not available in the Shimberg Library.
Users can order interlibrary loans online by submitting requests in the ILLiad system (http://www.lib.usf.edu/ill/). You may track the progress of your requests at any time by logging into ILLiad.
Have questions about ILLiad? Then check out our FAQ.
Interlibrary loans articles are delivered to users by e-mail, mail or fax.
Books must be picked up at the Library Services Desk.
According to the American Library Association, “the primary purpose of interlibrary loan is to provide material for relatively short term use by an individual” (see http://www.ala.org/rusa/resources/guidelines/interlibraryloancode, section 4.6), therefore an individual library patron may not request a single title more than once per semester.
Policy for Borrowing Textbooks
Textbooks, particularly textbooks for current USF Health classes, will not be borrowed for patrons by the Interlibrary Loan Department.
Rarely. exceptions may be made for extenuating circumstances. In those instances, please contact the head of Interlibrary Loans.
We can only deliver articles by e-mail to those USF patrons who have USF Health or USF E-Mail accounts. PDF files can be extremely large files and we have found that free accounts such as Hot Mail, Yahoo and some AOL accounts do not have sufficient storage space to handle these files.
Web Delivery Service
- Articles are scanned, converted into PDF format and stored on a Library web server.
- You are notified by email when your article is available.
- Simply click on the link provided in the body of the email message to read, print and/or download your article.
- Please keep a copy of the e-mail that supplies the link to your article. We will be unable to provide the link again.
- Adobe Reader is required to view the documents.
- You will have access to your article for 14 days after youare notified. During that time you may view, print and/or download it. Once 14 days have passed, it will be automatically deleted from our server.
- Be sure to give us an email address that you will check regularly, so that you will know when your articles come in and can view them promptly.
- Also be careful to coordinate your ordering and your vacations/leaves so that the article does not arrive at an inappropriate time.
- If you cannot immediately access the article, please try again later.
- The delivery time depends on the speed of the lending library.
- The average delivery time is 7-10 days though some can be delivered in three days and others take much longer.
- Books will take longer than articles because they must be delivered by mail.
- RUSH delivery can generally be accomplished in one day but there is a charge for the service.
- The Shimberg Library does not charge for regular ILL service. However, sometimes the lending library issues a charge for the item. If that happens, the cost is passed on to faculty, staff, residents and fellows.
- USF Health students are subsidized for up to 20 ILLs a week or a total of 100 per term. If the student needs more, exceptions can be made. Contact the ILL Department (see below).
- There is an $6 charge for RUSH requests. Plus any charge assessed by the lending library. Please contact the ILL Department (see below) for information about RUSH requests.
- Users who wish to charge to a department must follow certain audit procedures. Please contact the ILL Department (see below) for instruction in these procedures.
ILL Contact Information: Jeff Honker (813) 974-0398