Full-time employees of Institutions who have a formal Affiliation Agreement* with the Morsani College of Medicine may be appointed to the Core Faculty without compensation by means of a Courtesy Appointment Contract, provided they are appropriately qualified and do not engage in outside, independent clinical practice activities. These individuals may not hold more than one Courtesy Appointment in the College of Medicine. The appointment, reappointment and promotion of such faculty follow the requirements for Core Faculty outlined in the College APT Guidelines.
PROCEDURE FOR INITIAL APPOINTMENTS
- The Department prepares a Courtesy Appointment Request Form.
- The Department Chair signs the form.
- If the Courtesy appointment rank will be Associate Professor or Professor, the Department APT Committee must review the appointment and make a recommendation on the proposed rank.
- The Department will forward the completed form along with the following to Faculty Affairs, MDC 53:
- Copy of current Curriculum Vitae.
- Letter from the Department Chair outlining the candidate's qualifications and indicating his/her proposed departmental duties and responsibilities.
- Three letters of recommendation for appointment as Assistant Professor, or five letters of recommendation for appointment as Associate Professor or Professor.
- Two Official transcripts for all graduate coursework.
- Up to five scholarly reprints (optional).
- GEMS Appointment Status Form for proposed new courtesy appointment signed by department chair.
- If the Courtesy appointment rank will be Associate Professor or Professor, Faculty Affairs will present the proposal to the College APT Committee for recommendation on the proposed rank. EXCEPTION: Visiting Faculty covered by Section 4.3 of the College APT Guidelines do not require review and recommendation by the APT committees.
- Faculty Affairs will prepare a letter of offer to the candidate and submit it to the MCOM Dean/Vice President for signature. Faculty Affairs will mail the signed letter to the candidate.
- Upon receipt of acceptance of the appointment by the candidate, Faculty Affairs will forward a copy of the acceptance to the department. This will serve as a notice to the department that the appointment has been approved.
- Faculty Affairs will officially finish the appointment by processing the Appointment Status Form.
Reappointment may be effected annually by the Department forwarding a GEMS Appointment Status Form to the Office of Faculty Affairs, provided the faculty member continues as a full-time employee of an Affiliated Institution (see list under A.), performs his/her duties in a satisfactory manner, and does not participate in independent professional practice activities. Faculty with Courtesy Appointment Contracts are evaluated annually in the same manner as other faculty with USF Contracts. The department will notify the faculty member that his/her Courtesy appointment has been renewed by sending them a copy of the approved GEMS Appointment Status Form.
Visiting faculty who do not require financial support from the College may be appointed to the Collateral Faculty by means of a Courtesy Appointment Contract, provided they are appropriately qualified and do not engage in outside, independent clinical practice activities. The appointment, reappointment and promotion of such faculty follow the requirements for Collateral Faculty outlined in the College APT Guidelines.