University of South Florida
College of Public Health
EOH: Occupational Medicine
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.,
Tampa, FL 33612
Didactic sessions occur on Wednesday of each week throughout the two years of residency. The goal of the didactic component of the OMR is:
- To facility faculty/resident interaction by incorporating evidence-based medicine with clinical care
- To supplement the residents’ academic and didactic experience by incorporating the ACGME and ACOEM core competencies
- To provide a venue where strengths, weaknesses and self-assessment of individual residents can be indentified and assessed
- To provide a setting where research methods are reviewed and individual research projects are discussed.
Journal club - will be conducted every month by residents as assigned by the residency coordinator. The resident will present a concise review of the article to include purpose, methods, outcomes, strengths and weaknesses. The resident will submit one hard copy of the article for filing to the coordinator.
Board review – An Occupational Medicine based board review is conducted 2 times per month. A series of board review materials including recommendations from the American Board of Preventive Medicine and the American College of Preventive Medicine are used. Residents write their own questions and come prepared with a list of references to support the correct answers. Also 2 times a month we dedicate 1 hour to the study of the Preventive Medicine portion of the board exam.
Seminar in Occupational and Environmental Research- This seminar will be held each Wednesday from 9 am until 10am. The research seminar will be presided over by Dr. Alfred Mbah.
Interdisciplinary Conference - This conference will consist of the NORA Symposium presentations held one time per month. This consists of students supported through our National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Sunshine Education and Research Centers (ERC) grant.
Guest Lecturers – Each month will have two guest lecturers who speak on subjects relevant to Occupational Medicine ACOEM competencies in ACGME Milestones. Previous topics include:
- Evaluation of Workplace Exposures and Injuries
- ACOEM Practice Guidelines
- Decisions-making skills using case-based scenarios from the vantage point of an Occupational Health Physician just entering practice
- Ergonomics Case Study: Occupational Osteoarthritis
- Impairment Evaluations
- The Shoulder
- The health effects of mold exposure
- The Knee
- Functional Capacity Evaluation
- Fit For Duty: Stay At Work, Return To Work
- Primary Occupational Medicine Case Management
- Industrial Hygiene and Exposure Risk Assessment
- The Eye
- Sleep Deprivation
- An Overview of Stroke
- Musculoskeletal Lecture
- Introductory IT
- Worker's Comp Law
- Disaster Preparedness