Research & Publications
CEORAM is committed to research and scientific inquiry related to issues of environmental and occupational health. Whether you are a potential student, a potential research collaborator, or in need of research consultation, we invite you to review current and past research initiatives conducted by the Center.
Current Research Initiatives
Pharmacological Modulation of Chemical and Drug Induced Nephro- and Hepatotoxicity
This ongoing project investigates the action of Poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) inhibitors in blocking or attenuating drug and chemical-induced hepatotoxicity in both in vivo and in vitro models. The goals of this project are to evaluate the mechanism of PARP activation and the resulting cellular toxicity, to evaluate the extent to which various nephro- and hepatotoxicants induce toxicity by the mechanism of PARP activation, and to investigate the efficacy of PARP inhibitors in blocking or attenuating the toxic effects of PARP induction. This research has received funding from the United States Department of Defense.
Principal Investigator: Dr. Raymond D. Harbison
Co-Investigators: Dr. Marie Bourgeois, Dr. Giffe Johnson
Pesticide Biomonitoring in Florida Agricultural Workers
This project aims to collect pilot data on the various classes of pesticides found in biological samples provided by Florida farm workers following pesticide application. The goals of this project include determining the types and concentrations of pesticides in the serum of applicators shortly after pesticide application; assessing the use of personal protective equipment among these applicators; and strengthening the relationship between the project team and the Farmworker Association of Florida. The outcomes of this project will help evaluate the safety of agricultural workers working with pesticides and help determine the needs of future training and research. This work is being funded through a grant from the University of Kentucky Southeast Center for Agricultural Health and Injury Prevention and the NIOSH Sunshine ERC here at USF.
Principal Investigator: Dr. Giffe T. Johnson
- McCluskey JD, Johnson GT, Harbison RD. (2012). Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA) in a Patient with severe Chronic Obstructive PulmonaryDisease: A Rare Case Report and Discussion of Risk Factors. JOM (accepted/in press)
- Blake CL, Johnson GT, Abritis AJ, Lieckfield R Jr, Harbison RD. (2012). Isocyanate and VOC exposure analysis using Flexane®. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 63(3):363-70
- LeBeau AL, Johnson GT, McCluskey JD, Harbison RD. (2012). Evaluationof Urinary Pesticide Biomarkers among a Sample of the Population in the United States. J Clinic Toxicol S5:003. doi:10.4172/2161-0495.S5-003
- McCluskey JD, Sava D, Harbison SC, Muro-Cacho CA, Johnson G, Xu P, and Harbison RD. (2011) Hepatoprotective effects of select water soluble PARP inhibitors in a carbon tetrachloride model. International Journal of Critical Illness and Injury Science 1(2):97-103.
- Smith CJ, Johnson GT, Harbison RD, Zhu Y, Lee RV, Banasik M, Stedeford T. (2011). Dose-dependent neurologic abnormalities in workers exposed to 1-bromopropane. J Occup Environ Med 53:707-8.
- DeHate RB, Johnson GT, Harbison RD. (2011). Risk Characterization of Vapor Intrusion in Former Manufactured Gas Plant Sites. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology 59:353-359
- Grivas PC, Muro-Cacho CA, Johnson GT, Abritis AJ, Harbison RD. 2009. A Novel Pharmacological Application for Aminophylline: Antagonism of Acute Chemical-Induced Hepatotoxicity. Journal of Medicine. 40(1):5-19 View Reprint
- Hall KW, Muro-Cacho C, Abritis A, Johnson GT, Harbison RD. 2010. Attenuation of Bromobenzene-Induced Hepatotoxicity by Poly(ADP-Ribose) Polymerase Inhibitors. Research Communications in Molecular Pathology and Pharmacology. 122-123(1-6):79-96 View Reprint
- Goodman JE, Biesemeier JA, Johnson GT, Harbison C, Harbison RD, et al. 2010 Fecundability and Serum PBDE Concentrations in Women. Environ Health Perspect 118(8):a330.
- Crane JS, McCluskey JD, Johnson GT, Harbison RD. Assessment of community healthcare providers ability and willingness to respond to emergencies resulting from bioterrorist attacks. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2010;3:13-20.
- Giffe T. Johnson, Yiliang Zhu, and Raymond D. Harbison. Comment on: Effects of Decabrominated Diphenyl Ether (PBDE 209) Exposure at Different Developmental Periods on Synaptic Plasticity in the Dentate Gyrus of Adult Rats In Vivo. Toxicological Sciences 114(2):387–388 (2010)
- Giffe T. Johnson, Stephen C. Harbison, James D. McCluskey, Raymond D. Harbison. 2009. Characterization of cancer risk from airborne benzene exposure. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. 2009. 55:361-366
- Khlifi M, Zun L, Johnson G, Harbison R. 2009. Etiological characterization of acute poisonings in the emergency department. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2:159-63
- Charles L. Blake, Giffe T. Johnson, Raymond D. Harbison. 2009. Airborne asbestos exposure during light aircraft brake replacement. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. 54:242–246
- Banasik M, Hardy M, Harbison RD, Hsu CH, Stedeford T. 2009. Tetrabromobisphenol A and model-derived risks for reproductive toxicity. Toxicology. 16;260(1-3):150-2.
- Banasik M, Biesemeier J, Ariano JM, Harbison RD, Hover CG, Price DJ, Hardy M, Stedeford T. 2009. Comment on "Elevated house dust and serum concentrations of PBDEs in California: unintended consequences of furniture flammability standards?". Environ Sci Technol. 1;43(7):2659-60
- Hover C, Banasik M, Harbison RD, Hardy M, Price DJ, Stedeford T. 2009 May 4. [Epub ahead of print] Occurrence of five classes of chemicals in indoor dust: An evaluation of the human health risks. Sci Total Environ.
- Scharf, J.E, G. Johnson, S. C. Harbison, J. McCluskey, R. D. Harbison. 2008. Dermal absorption of a dilute aqueous solution of malathion. Jour. Of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock. 1:22-30.
- Raymond Harbison, Giffe Johnson, James McCluskey. 2008. Determining Disease Causation in Cases with Suspected Occupational Exposure. Florida Worker Compensation Institute, Orlando, FL
- Sava, V., O. Reunova, A. Velasquez, R. Harbison, and J. Sanchez-Ramos. 2006 Acute neurotoxic effects of the fungal metabolite ochratoxin-A. NeuroToxicology, 27:82-92
- Blake, C. L., G. Scott Dotson, and R.D. Harbison. 2006. Assessment of airborne asbestos exposure during the servicing and handling of automobile asbestos-containing gaskets. Regulatory Pharmacology & Toxicology, 45:214-222
- Francois, MR, P. Grivas, C. Williams, G. Johnson, J. Studnicki, and R.D. Harbison. 2005. Predicting the risk of respiratory- related hospital admissions using an air pollution model. Journal of Medicine 36: 25-34
- Miller, I., M. Shelly, P. Jonmaire, R.V. Lee, and R.D. Harbison. 2005. Assessing contributory risk using economic input-output life-cycle analysis. Inter. Journal of Environmental Health Research, 15:107-115
- Harbison,R.D., T. Stedeford, M. Banasik, C. Muro-Cacho. 2004. Toxicology and Risk Assessment of Mycotoxins. Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law, 19:451–463
- Banasik, M. T. Stedeford, K. Ueda, C. Muro-Cacho, Phi-Huynh Su, Seigo Tanaka, and R. D. Harbison 2004. Hepatoprotective Effects of 6(5H)-Phenanthridinone from Chemical-Induced Centrilobular Necrosis. Res. Comm. In Molecular Pathology and Pharmacology 115:15-20
- Harbison, R.D., T.F. Stedeford, C. Muro-Cacho, D. I. Mosquera, and M. Banasik. 2003. Activation of alpha-1-adrenergic receptors potentiates the nephrotoxicity of ethylene dibromide. Toxicology, 186:181-189
- Garipay, R.C., C. Muro-Caco, A. Khlifi, G. Hahn, T. Stedeford, M. Banasik, and R. D. Harbison. 2003. Tissue metal concentrations and histopathology of rats gavaged with vitrified soil obtained from the former Charleston Naval Shipyard (SC,USA). Journal of Hazardous Materials, 4028:1-12
- Lee, R.V., R.D. Harbison, F.A. Draughon. 2003. Food as a Weapon. Food Protection Trends 23: 664-674
- Blake, C.L., D.R. Van Orden, M. Banasik, and R.D. Harbison. 2003. Airborne asbestos concentration from brake changing does not exceed permissible exposure limit. Regulatory Pharmacology and Toxicology, 38:58-70
- Banasik, M.,T. Stedeford, A. Persad, K. Ueda, S. Tanaka, C. Muro-Cacho, and R. D. HARBISON. 2003. Selective inhibition of acetylcholinesterase in the cerebellum and hippocampus of mice following acute treatment with malathion. Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, 18: 551-555
- Reed, J.N., T. Stedeford, M. Banasik, S. Tanaka, D. Mosquera, P, Grivas and R.D. Harbison. 2003. Bioavailability of aluminum from soil versus aqueous media. Res. Comm. In Pharmacology and Toxicology 8:17-25
- Su PH, Takehashi M, Tanaka S, Banasik M, Stedeford T, Ueda K, Muro-Cacho C, Harbison RD. 2003. Hepatocellular accumulation of poly(ADP-ribose) in male ICR mice treated with a necrogenic dose of carbon tetrachloride. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 113:171-180
- Garvey, G.J., G. Hahn, R.V.Lee, and R.D. Harbison. 2001. Heavy metal hazards of Asian traditional remedies. Inter. Jour. Of Environ. Hlth Res., 11-63-71
- Stedeford, T., F. Cardozo-Pelaez, N. Nemeth, S. Song, R. Harbison, and J, Sanchez-Ramos. 2001. Comparison of base-excision repair capacity in proliferating and differentiated PC 12 cells following acute challenge with dieldrin. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 31:1272-1278
- Stedeford, T., F. Cardozo-Pelaez, C. Hover, R. Harbison, and J. Sanchez-Ramos. Organ-specific differences in 8-oxoguanosine glycosylase (OGG1) repair following acute treatment with benzo(a)pyrene. 2001. Res. Comm. Molecular Pathology and Pharmacology 109:73-85
- Stephen, F.D. C. Stineman, P. W. Jonmaire, and R.D. Harbison. 2001. Risk Analysis of Candle Emissions I. Soot and Benzene. Res. Comm. In Pharmacology and Toxicology 6: 3-18
- Harbison, R.D. and J. McCluskey. 2001. Evaluating occupational claims of chemical induced injury. Chemical Health & Safety July/August, pages 6-9
- Stedeford, T.E., F. Cardozo-Pelaez, G. Luzardo, A. Khlifi, and R.D. Harbison. 2001. Organ-specific differences in DNA damage, DNA repair, and antioxidant systems. Research Communications in Biochemistry, Cell & Molecular Biology, 109: 73-85
- Stedeford, T.F., F. Cardozo-Pelaez, B. Vultaggio, C. Muro-Cacho, G. Luzardo, and R.D. Harbison. 2001. Alpha-adrenergic receptors and their significance to chemical induced nephrotoxicity. Res. Comm. In Molecular Pathology and Pharmacology, 110:59-72
- Harbison, R.D., S. Babu, C. Muro-Cacho, M. Rony Francois and T. Stedeford. 2000. Adrenergic modulation of bromohydroquinone-induced nephrotoxicity. Res Comm. In Pharmacology & Toxicology 5:11-22
- CEORAM is committed to presenting the research of our students and faculty at regional, national, and international scientific conventions. For recent presentations, a poster is available for you to review by clicking the link.
- Ann Jurkowski, Charles L. Blake, Giffe T. Johnson, and Raymond D. Harbison. Exposure Associated with Power Stripping of Asbestos Containing Insulation from Electrical Cable. Society of Toxicology, 2013 San Antonio
- SC Harbison, GT Johnson, JD McCluskey, P Xu, J White, S Mohammed, J Wolfson, RD Harbison. Pulmonary Function Testing in Emergency Responders. Society of Toxicology, 2013 San Antonio
- Robin DeHate, Brian Skelly, Ushang P Desai, Giffe T Johnson, Raymond D Harbison. Managing Public Health Risks Using Air Monitoring at a Former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site. Society of Toxicology, 2013. San Antonio
- Blake, C.L., M. Stubbs, G. T. Johnson, and R. D. Harbison. Evaluation of asbestos exposure associated with asbestos containing gauze pads. Society of Toxicology, 2012 San Francisco.
- LeBeau, A. G. Johnson, J. McCluskey, and R. Harbison. Evaluation of urinary pesticide biomarkers among children and adolescents. Society of Toxicology, 2012 San Francisco.
- Harbison, S.C., Johnson G.T., J. McCluskey, P. Xu, J. White, S. Mohammed, J. Wolfson, and R.D. Harbison. Pulmonary function testing in utility workers. Society of Toxicology, 2012 San Francisco.
- Johnson, G.T., J. White, C. Younger, and R.D. Harbison. Characterization of Veterans Poisonings in the State of Florida. Society of Toxicology, 2012 San Francisco.
- Johnson GT, Harbison SC, McCluskey JD, Xu P, Thomas L, Goldman S, and Harbison RD. Pulmonary function testing in boat manufacturing workers. Society of Toxicology, 2011 Washington DC.
- DeHate RB, Skelly B, Johnson GT, and Harbison RD. Assessment of public health risks associated with naphthalene entering residences and commercial space from vapor intrusion at MGP sites. Society of Toxicology, 2011 Washington DC.
- Blake CL, Harbison SC, Johnson GT, and Harbison RD. Asbestos exposure associated with fire sleeve materials. Society of Toxicology, 2011 Washington DC.
- LeBeau A, Johnson G, McCluskey J, and Harbison R. Evaluation of Urinary Pesticide Biomarkers Among Residents of the United States. Society of Toxicology, 2010 Salt Lake City
- J. McCluskey, S.C. Harbison, D. Sava, and R.D. Harbison Hepatoprotective Effects of Selected Water Soluble PARP1 Inhibitors.pdf Society of Toxicology, 2009. Baltimore MD
- R. DeHate, G. Johnson, R. Harbison. Evaluation of the Public Health Risks Associated with former Manufactured Gas Plants (MGP). Society of Toxicology, 2009. Baltimore MD
- Malek Khlifi, M.D., Leslie Zun, M.D., Giffe Johnson, Ph.D., Raymond D. Harbison, Ph.D. Etiological Characterization of Emergency Department Acute Poisoning.pdf Society of Toxicology, 2009. Baltimore MD
- G. Johnson, S.C. Harbison, J. McCluskey, and R. Harbison Characterization of Cancer Risk Associated with Measured Airborne Benzene Levels in the State of Florida.pdf Society of Toxicology March, 2008 Seattle WA
- Sava, V., R. Harbison, J. Sanchez-Ramos. Effects of diethyl maleate preconditioning on the expression of DNA repair genes in midbrain elicited by Ochratoxin-A. Society of Toxicology, 2008.
- Charles L. Blake, G. Scott Dotson, Giffe Johnson, Raymond D. Harbison Exposure to Asbestos within the Automotive Repair Industry Beyond Brake Components.pdf. Society of Toxicology March, 2007 Charlotte NC
- Grivas, P.C., K.W. Hall, C. Muro-Cacho, and R.D. Harbison: Aminophylline-induced inhibition of carbon-tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity. Society of Toxicology, 2006
- BLAKE, C., C. S. DOTSON, AND R. D. Harbison: Assessment of asbestos exposure among automotive mechanics servicing and handling asbestos containing gaskets.pdf. Society of Toxicology, 2006.
- Hall, K., P. Grivas, C. Muro-Cacho., and R. D. Harbison. 6(5H) Phenanthridinone alteration of bromobenzene-induced hepatotoxicity. Society of Toxicology, 2006.
- Lumpkin, M.H., V. Runnion, R. Liackfield, S. Paul, and R.D. Harbison. Simulation and assessment of occupational exposures to isocyanates and VOCs during application of a urethane product suite under worst-case conditions. Society of Toxicology, 2005.
- Silver, D. and R.D. Harbison. Occupational exposure to ultrafine particles and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from candle emissions. Society of Toxicology, 2005.
- Hall, K., C. Muro-Cacho, and R.D. Harbison. Nicotinimide alteration of bromobenzene-induced hepatotoxicity. Society of Toxicology, 2005.
- Banasik, M., T. Stedeford, C. Muro-Cacho, and R. Harbison. Overactivation of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 accompanies carbon tetrachloride-induced centrilobular necrosis. Society of Toxicology 78:310, 2004.
- Harbison, R., M. Banasik, T. Stedeford, N. Matoh, S. Tanaka, M. Takehashi, and K. Ueda. Neuroprotective effects of CYP2D6 overexpression in differentiated PC12 Cells. Society of Toxicology 78:346, 2004.
- SILVER, D AND R. D. HARBISON. Occupational Exposure to Ultrafine Particles and Polycylic Aromatic Hydrocarbons from Candle Emissions. American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR) October 04-08, 2004.
- Banasik, M., S. P. Su, D. Mosquera, T. Stedeford and R. D. Harbison: Phenanthridinone attenuates the hepatotoxicity of carbon tetrachloride. Society of Toxicology 72:360, 2003.
- Francois, M.R., P. Grivas, and R.D. Harbison: Predicting risk of hospital admissions using an air pollution model. Society of Toxicology 72:186, 2003.
- Banasik, M., D. Vanorden, C, Blake, and R.D. Harbison: Automobile brake maintenance and airborne chrysotile fiber exposure. Society of Toxicology 72:183-184, 2003.
- Mosquera, D.J., T. Stedeford, M. Banasik, C. Muro-Cacho, and R.D. Harbison: Adrenergic modulation of ethylene dibromide-induced toxicity. Society of Toxicology 72:347, 2003.
- Scharf, J. M. Martinez, T. Stedeford, G. Hahn, and R. Harbison. Assessment of the skin absorption of malathion. Society of Toxicology 72:390, 2003.
- Sava, V., D. Mosquera, S. Song, K. Calero, R. Harbison, F. Carozo-Pelaez, and J. SANCHEZ-RAMOS. Distribution of oxidative DNA damage and oxyguanosine glycosylase activities across brain regions of mice injected with a single dose of rubratoxin-B. Neuroscience, 2003.
- DeHate, R, K. Waggoner, S. Oluwole, R. Francois, and R.D. Harbison: A methodology for a public health biomonitoring program. American Public Health Association, 2003.
- Tabone, R.D. and R.D. Harbison. The influence of risk communication on risk perceptions. Society of Toxicology 66:487, 2002.
- Francois, M.R., J. Studnicki, and R.D. Harbison. Defining a methodology to assess the environmental health status of a community. Society of Toxicology 66:488, 2002.
- Stedeford, T., F. Cardozo-Palaez, G.E. Luzardo, D. Mosquera, M. Banasik, and R.D. Harbison. Strain-specific differences in superoxide dismutase and 8-oxoguanosine DNA-glycosylase capacity of male c57BL/J, BALB/C, and ICR mice. Society of Toxicology 66:769, 2002.
- Thrasher, C., R. Lee, R, DeHate, and R.D. Harbison. OUTBREAK: A model for identifying bioterrorism attacks. Association of Schools of Public Health, Environmental Health Conference, September, 2002.
- Blake, C.L., D.J. Silver, and R.D. Harbison. Assessment of the public health risks associated with candle emissions. Society of Toxicology 60: 198, 2001.